Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«157 »
Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care

Here's the page from Intel with the full list of participating vendors:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/ar...processor-31s1p

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PCjr sidecar
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

atomicthumbs posted:

are four 80mm fans really enough to dissipate 1.08 kilowatts of computing power heat

Anything's possible as long as you spin them fast enough; the 1U supermicro phi host has ~1KW in 1.75" cooled by 10 40mm 20K RPM fans.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Gonna try one of those sometime

Ika fucked around with this message at Oct 29, 2014 around 23:12

PCjr sidecar
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Ika posted:

Gonna try one of those sometime

keep in mind that if your matrices are less than 2Kx2K automatic offload won't work.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

I'm tempted to buy one of these just to see how much faster my old MPI jobs will run, compared to how they did on the 4 core Nehalem Xeons I used to use.

Mr Chips fucked around with this message at Oct 30, 2014 around 00:34

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

We thought he was just here to sell us crap, but then he blushed, and we knew everything would work out.

Are there any alternatives for people who want a ton of integer cores?

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

PCjr sidecar posted:

keep in mind that if your matrices are less than 2Kx2K automatic offload won't work.

We run SVD on matrices between 500x500 and 10k x 10k, as well as dense / sparse multiplications with upwards of 100mil nonzero elements. Worth looking into just to speed up processing during debugging / design / evaluation of the math involved.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

Oh dear, oh my,
that shouldn't be said.

No Gravitas posted:

Are there any alternatives for people who want a ton of integer cores?

Congrats, you're the one person in a million who should be buying an AMD FX-83xx or a similar Opteron. Unless TCO matters more than hardware cost, in which case cram Xeons all up ons.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

If you need to do thousands of integer operations as fast as possible, the Phis or OpenCL devices are still the best options right? I don't really know how expensive Xeon's are, but wouldn't Video Cards be cheaper? Although, is it feasible to make an OpenCL capable FPGA that is integer optimized?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

I come from the land of the ice and snow.

So I went to a talk by Ray Kurzweil last week, and at one point he briefly dropped that Intel has working prototypes of self-assembling 3D molecular circuits (which he said he has seen in person) and they are planning to have them replace their current production methods before 2020.

I dug up some stuff about MIT demonstrating the tech about four years ago, and Kurzweil isn't the type to just straight up lie about something like this, but I can't find anything about Intel specifically.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Lord Windy posted:

If you need to do thousands of integer operations as fast as possible, the Phis or OpenCL devices are still the best options right? I don't really know how expensive Xeon's are, but wouldn't Video Cards be cheaper? Although, is it feasible to make an OpenCL capable FPGA that is integer optimized?
It depends.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Krailor posted:

FYI - There's a 3rd party company selling the same model on Amazon for $80.

I doubt they ship overseas, but got a link?

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

We thought he was just here to sell us crap, but then he blushed, and we knew everything would work out.

~Coxy posted:

I doubt they ship overseas, but got a link?

That ship sailed. They did not ship to while it was up, otherwise I would have gotten one.

EDIT: Current best is 140$. They also don't ship to

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=A183W8CNLFPZLY

No Gravitas fucked around with this message at Oct 30, 2014 around 05:12

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Special Operations Executive
Q Section

Rime posted:

So I went to a talk by Ray Kurzweil last week, and at one point he briefly dropped that Intel has working prototypes of self-assembling 3D molecular circuits (which he said he has seen in person) and they are planning to have them replace their current production methods before 2020.

I dug up some stuff about MIT demonstrating the tech about four years ago, and Kurzweil isn't the type to just straight up lie about something like this, but I can't find anything about Intel specifically.

Ray Kurzweil suffers from a peculiar delusional belief system which leads him to be wildly over-optimistic (kooky, even) about predictions of rapid technological progress. It truly wouldn't surprise me if someone told him something like "We're loving around with this wild idea for making circuits, but holy poo poo the problems are enormous and 2020 is the earliest we could even begin to ship tiny quantities of engineering sample devices to outsiders, if everything goes perfect, which it never does", and Kurzweil heard what he wanted to hear.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Mr Chips posted:

It depends.

I'm just curious because I'm learning OpenCL for funsies and I seem to have a 50-50 split between floating point and integer operations. Where do you go to learn more stuff about this? I like benchmarks but I don't want to run my own.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
WELL ARNT I JUST MR. LA DE FUCKEN DA. oh yea and i suck cocks too

Speaking of FPGAs, has there been anything new about the Xeons w/FPGAs since that announcement a few months ago?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

BobHoward posted:

Ray Kurzweil is crazy

http://transcendentman.com/

He takes like a million vitamins a day hoping to stay alive long enough to have his "soul" uploaded to the "matrix" where he will be reunited with his father. No matter that his father didn't live long enough to get uploaded because the future will have computers so powerful they will be able to extract his essence from the fabric of space and time. Cray Cray Super Computer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

The Amazon Phi deal popped up for a brief while at 92$ shipped. I caved in. Helps that my job will pay for part of it too.

I got a forwarding service box and got it sent to there. No idea how (and for how much) I will get it out of the USA, but one step at a time, I guess. Might be something worth investigating for other non-USA people out there.

Work is about to get awesome. Once I figure out a way how to exactly cool and feed the thing.

Thanks, thread!

«157 »