Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

As an aside, can anyone identify the person responsible for USB having a rectangular form factor, that you can almost, but not quite plug in upside down, when you're feeling around the back of a case with limited access?

I have a... List. A list I need to put them on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Darkpriest667 posted:

If USB 3.1 has a different plug and controller it will take forever for adoption to occur. Everyone remember firewire?

USB C (the new plug everyone is hyping) is completely optional and in fact independent of USB3.1. There will be USB A (the old rectangle hole) 3.1 plugs, and they'll likely be around for a long time to come. The controller is just different in the sense that a USB 3 controller can't run things at 3.1, just how a USB 2 controller can't run things at 3 speeds. Sure it is a burden in the meantime, but the industry is used to periodically adding a new standard for USB.

I have a feeling that USB 3.1 will replace 3 but USB 2 will instead still be seen in parallel to 3.1, instead of the usual "this generation and the generation before are common" that we see with USB adoption.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

WhyteRyce posted:

Firewire didn't fail because it had a different plug and controller

It was superior in transfer speeds to IDE transfer AND USB transfer. So why exactly did it fail? I had 2 motherboards that supported firewire and it never was adopted.

BurritoJustice posted:

USB C (the new plug everyone is hyping) is completely optional and in fact independent of USB3.1. There will be USB A (the old rectangle hole) 3.1 plugs, and they'll likely be around for a long time to come. The controller is just different in the sense that a USB 3 controller can't run things at 3.1, just how a USB 2 controller can't run things at 3 speeds. Sure it is a burden in the meantime, but the industry is used to periodically adding a new standard for USB.

I have a feeling that USB 3.1 will replace 3 but USB 2 will instead still be seen in parallel to 3.1, instead of the usual "this generation and the generation before are common" that we see with USB adoption.

Ahh Thanks for the info, I haven't read up MUCH on USB 3.1, but everything I heard was that it was a completely different pin amount and plug type.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Darkpriest667 posted:

It was superior in transfer speeds to IDE transfer AND USB transfer. So why exactly did it fail? I had 2 motherboards that supported firewire and it never was adopted.

More complex (hence expensive) to implement, storage-focused vs usb, and Apple had a $1/port licensing fee for a while, USB was good enough for most users.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

MrYenko posted:

As an aside, can anyone identify the person responsible for USB having a rectangular form factor, that you can almost, but not quite plug in upside down, when you're feeling around the back of a case with limited access?

Be sure to add people who produce non-compliant cables that don't clearly mark the "up" side with the USB logo to that same list.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

JawnV6 posted:

Be sure to add people who produce non-compliant cables that don't clearly mark the "up" side with the USB logo to that same list.

90% of the time I have no problem blindly plugging in cables. The 10% of the time is non-compliant garbage :mad:

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

PCjr sidecar posted:

More complex (hence expensive) to implement, storage-focused vs usb, and Apple had a $1/port licensing fee for a while, USB was good enough for most users.

Thanks I never knew I just knew it wasn't adopted! I appreciate the knowledge spreading =)

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

JawnV6 posted:

Be glad it's not a hub with upside-down ports.

Also, one of the big things about FireWire, Thunderbolt, and ExpressCard is the way they're implemented allows anyone who can touch the port to read and change the entirety of your computer's memory. USB doesn't have that problem. That's also why FireWire was more widespread in high-end A/V work; direct memory access meant it performed tons better than USB, and your equipment is probably expensive enough that you aren't letting other people touch it.

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

dpbjinc posted:

Also, one of the big things about FireWire, Thunderbolt, and ExpressCard is the way they're implemented allows anyone who can touch the port to read and change the entirety of your computer's memory. USB doesn't have that problem. That's also why FireWire was more widespread in high-end A/V work; direct memory access meant it performed tons better than USB, and your equipment is probably expensive enough that you aren't letting other people touch it.
IIRC, Apple virtualized FireWire's DMA to make sure that external devices couldn't easily snoop on memory. Eventually we should be able to use IOMMU to do the same with Thunderbolt and ExpressCard, but nobody seems to have done that yet.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

MrYenko posted:

I have a... List. A list I need to put them on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfHzzy6T9to

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

phongn posted:

IIRC, Apple virtualized FireWire's DMA to make sure that external devices couldn't easily snoop on memory. Eventually we should be able to use IOMMU to do the same with Thunderbolt and ExpressCard, but nobody seems to have done that yet.

Well, there's that whole fact where still pretty much only Apple products have Thunderbolt, and ExpressCard-capable laptops are getting ever fewer and farther between (and that's a shame because it works really well).

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

dpbjinc posted:

Be glad it's not a hub with upside-down ports.

Randomly? Like every other one? Or is the thing sitting on your desk day in day out with the exact same orientation and you're still unable to make clearly marked in-spec cables go in the right way without 3 or 4 tries?

This is the worst complaint. It's not like PS2 was any better and I've had to look at VGA and DVI cables more frequently than USB. There's an "up" side on the cables and the things you're plugging them into don't tend to move or flip around a whole lot.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

DVI cables seem to have this quality where even when they're oriented correctly they still need a couple of tries.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

phongn posted:

Huh, didn't know they did that -- smart and forward-looking of them, it's a fairly large "security hole", though building devices that can take advantage of that type of access (at least in hardware; modifying firmware of a device with that access is much easier) can be though.

Boiled Water posted:

DVI cables seem to have this quality where even when they're oriented correctly they still need a couple of tries.

Yeah, this happens to me -- I don't think it's shape is quite polarized enough, it's a very gentle 'D'.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

movax posted:

Huh, didn't know they did that -- smart and forward-looking of them, it's a fairly large "security hole", though building devices that can take advantage of that type of access (at least in hardware; modifying firmware of a device with that access is much easier) can be though.

Nothing is virtualized. DMA is just disabled, sometimes .http://www.frameloss.org/2011/09/18/firewire-attacks-against-mac-os-lion-filevault-2-encryption/

It's not limited to apple in any way of course, but they're just the most ubiquitous devices with firewire.

Thunderbolt also allows all sorts of fun stuff. https://trmm.net/Thunderstrike

Longinus00 fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 25, 2015

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So mid-2015 desktop Broadwell is confirmed.

http://techreport.com/news/27911/socketed-intel-desktop-broadwell-coming-mid-year

quote:

GDC — In a press conference at the Game Developers Conference in San Franscisco today, Intel offered a few new details about its plans for a desktop version of its 14-nm Broadwell CPUs. The firm plans to release a socketed version of Broadwell in the middle of this year, and this CPU will play to Broadwell's strengths by offering Iris Pro graphics and fitting into a tidy 65W power envelope.

No need to freak out though, as this does fit with the previously leaked slide, so hopefully Skylake is roughly on track as well.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Too bad broadwell-E won't be out until sometime in 2016, I need a new workstation PC before then.

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.
Intel has released 14nm Broadwell SoC Xeons:

Anandtech article.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Interesting followup to their Arm/Atom/Xeon-E3 scaleout benchmarking article. These Xeon-Ds should be a pretty damned beastly CPU for those applications.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Dual 10Gb NICs built-in is pretty cool.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Dual 10Gb NICs built-in is pretty cool.

We may finally be seeing the start of the cheaper 10GbE networking trend.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Welmu posted:

Intel has released 14nm Broadwell SoC Xeons:

Anandtech article.

Wait, 10Gb networking without extra bullshit? As in, 10Gbit interfaces on the motherboard?

Edit: ^ what they said

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 23, 2021

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

I think that I read that the Supermicro mobo with the 10gbe PHY is expected to be about $100 more than the gigabit-only model. Not unreasonable, but not a lot cheaper than a X520.

If you want a laugh, price out a 100gbit switch port and an optic.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
Has the 6100 or 6200 been tested/benchmarked yet?

I'm interested from an academic point of view. I'm not looking to upgrade but the Iris Pro (from benchmarks on how it performs on the couple of games I play) is so close to being exactly the GPU I need.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

PCjr sidecar posted:

I think that I read that the Supermicro mobo with the 10gbe PHY is expected to be about $100 more than the gigabit-only model. Not unreasonable, but not a lot cheaper than a X520.

If you want a laugh, price out a 100gbit switch port and an optic.

These still close to a million dollars a port, or have they gone down?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Lord Windy posted:

Has the 6100 or 6200 been tested/benchmarked yet?

I'm interested from an academic point of view. I'm not looking to upgrade but the Iris Pro (from benchmarks on how it performs on the couple of games I play) is so close to being exactly the GPU I need.

The brand new Macbook pro 13" has a 6100 (not pro), you'll find a benchmark of it surely.
No 6200 pro yet afaik.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
http://anandtech.com/show/9081/asrock-to-debut-mini-itx-haswell-e-at-cebit-x99e-itx-ac-with-usb-3-1

So powerful, they won't just let you put any old standard X99 heatsink on it! :allears:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Looking at the motherboard size constraints could also be an issue.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

KillHour posted:

These still close to a million dollars a port, or have they gone down?

Oh, it's much more reasonable than that now; $110K for an ER optic, ~$50K/port on a line card.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
It comes with that cooler because its a non standard size if im reading the article right

NyxBiker
Sep 24, 2014

1gnoirents posted:

It comes with that cooler because its a non standard size if im reading the article right

Yup, you got it man. But it's really nice thing!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Yay, ultra M2 on ITX. Nice work, Asrock. Hope they do this again with skylake!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Mar 14, 2015

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Yeah, there are some good ideas here for how to get new tech onto a smaller form factor, but the practicality of working with a 140W processor in an enclosed ITX case is going to be a sticking point. What specific applications for this platform will need to be that small?

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Yeah, there are some good ideas here for how to get new tech onto a smaller form factor, but the practicality of working with a 140W processor in an enclosed ITX case is going to be a sticking point. What specific applications for this platform will need to be that small?

This is for the LEET gamer market who thinks that the Extreme series processors are The Best and who want a cool looking mITX system to put their 390x/TitanX in.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

PCjr sidecar posted:

Oh, it's much more reasonable than that now; $110K for an ER optic, ~$50K/port on a line card.

Considering the cost of 10x 10g ER optics (and the cost of running 20 stands of OM3 fiber ~70KM), that's actually not terrible.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

I don't need X99 but if I did I can see the appeal of wanting to use an mITX case. I'm just glad they released this product because I had seen a lot of people bring up the concept of mITX X99 before and it was always shot down as physically impossible, which it clearly is not.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender
The biggest head scratcher with mITX x99 is that you lose one of the advantages it has over the 97 chipsets; extra PCIE lanes.

I guess one use case is that this allows you to stuff more cores per rack.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Krailor posted:

The biggest head scratcher with mITX x99 is that you lose one of the advantages it has over the 97 chipsets; extra PCIE lanes.

I guess one use case is that this allows you to stuff more cores per rack.

You'd think a mini-X99 board would include more NVMe-capable M.2 slots so you'd have to worry even less about where you'd put 2.5" SSDs in the case. Put them on the back side of the board, maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
My Intel i5 is seriously underperforming. I did some benchmarks, and this was the result:

Not sure what's wrong , since I've made sure I have the latest drivers.