Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«200 »
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

Trophy-ko says:
~death to capitalism~
;3 ;3 ;3

Hillary is 45

Subjunctive posted:

They might require that Intel's licensing terms on x86 change.

I don't see why, since their terms are simply "pay us a lot of money and then pay royalties".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

when the going gets tough,
the tough give cryptic error messages

Nintendo Kid posted:

I don't see why, since their terms are simply "pay us a lot of money and then pay royalties".

Well, they could make them RAND.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

I create

Potato Salad posted:

Does the fed buy raw cpus? For example, at the moment there is a de-facto Dell monoculture in the federal government for user desktops and servers(most stringently in DoD and Army), but that adds a layer of abstraction above the cpu vendor. I'm not finding any procurement policies that care whether the HP and Dell servers they have available on CHESS contracts all have only one parts vendor for cpu.

I don't think the Fed buys CPUs: even when something breaks, the vendor usually handles it.

I could be wrong, but the parts themselves must be multiple sourced or potentially such: the vendor needs to be able to get parts from more than once manufacturer. I'm not sure that it's built into every government contract, however. As hosed up as federal and military procurement is, I can't imagine that they would be comfortable being explicitly dependent and beholden to one company for x86 applications.

Then again, they let Lockmart do whatever.

«200 »