Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«228 »
Asomodai
Jun 4, 2005

POSTING IN TFR = DONT ASK DONT TELL AM I RITE?

Combat Pretzel posted:

Someone explain the Turbo Boost stuff to me. How does the CPU decide when to cut back on the overclocking? Simply on thermals? If so, sticking a big rear end cooler on the CPU should keep it in Turbo Mode under load for practically forever?

Two ways. Thermal and Voltage. Too much sustained Voltage will also cut down turbo. In my experience only happens on Y Series Processors. My I5-4300Y in my Dell venue Pro Tablet will turbo for 20 seconds and then cut back automatically due to voltage cutoff before it overheats enough to throttle due to thermals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Ask me about my thumbdrives

blowfish posted:

sorry, it's a bit hard to remember all the companies that lost against nvidia/wintel

They didn't "loose" as their cards at the time were easily neck and neck with Nvidia.
They did however look appeasing to AMD which bought them out to get themselves a very good GPU business to help compete with Intel's Integrated GPU's for mobile devices.
Luckily they know that keeping the Dedicated GPU business alive is good for them too, and even better they are sort of spinning off the GPU wing again as a semi separate company lol. Shoud have just left them separate as ATI but well, Corps will be Corps.

jumba
Sep 6, 2004

Hello! Press a button!

movax posted:

Sounds like they adjusted the BIOS's calculation / adjustment of TOLUD (Top of Lower Upper DRAM) during its resource / memory map allocation, but my real question is, why are you stuck with a 32-bit OS? Some particular piece of software?

Yep, it's the software. I am spec'ing computers to run scientific instruments (some of which have hardware associated with it that is 20 years old!) that have specific hardware drivers which were never updated (and will never be updated) to support a 64-bit OS. My customers are lucky they're able to run a modern OS as it is, some of our older systems are still operating on Windows NT era PCs.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Asomodai posted:

Two ways. Thermal and Voltage. Too much sustained Voltage will also cut down turbo. In my experience only happens on Y Series Processors. My I5-4300Y in my Dell venue Pro Tablet will turbo for 20 seconds and then cut back automatically due to voltage cutoff before it overheats enough to throttle due to thermals.
But in a desktop CPU, given sufficient cooling, it should be able to sustain turbo mode? I have a Dark Rock 3 from beQuiet! sitting on my 5820K, which is a sufficiently big device cooler, I'd figure.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

WolfDad is Best Dad.

Combat Pretzel posted:

But in a desktop CPU, given sufficient cooling, it should be able to sustain turbo mode? I have a Dark Rock 3 from beQuiet! sitting on my 5820K, which is a sufficiently big device cooler, I'd figure.

It might throttle under some loads, but mostly ones that you only see in stress testing and benchmarking programs, not real world ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Turbo mode in the non throttled chips tends to be based on how many cores are in use, so one core being maxxed will give full turbo speed and the clocks go down as more and more cores are used. Some board manufactureres like asus have a multicore enhancement option in the bios which will run all the cores at max speed regardless of load on the other cores. non TDP limited intel cpus will turbo at full speed up till the 100c throttle.

«228 »