Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Where are images of this board? I want to simultaneously laugh at and drool over it.

None that we know of, but LGA 2011-2 is most definitely a thing, and worse things have happened as a result of process change before, I'm sure.

http://www.techpowerup.com/201568/adata-ddr4-oc-module-spotted-on-a-working-haswell-e-hedt-system.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

help im drowning in dimm slots :cripes:

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Cross post from the windows thread but a few weeks ago I asked what was the lowest CPU that could run Win8.1 and it was presumed to be the Pentium M with NX bit. I hopped on ebay and snagged a Dell Precision M70 (WUXGA :smuggo:) for $40 to give it a try.

Works ok but getting hard locks every 1-30min. Not reproduce-able consistently. I'm going to try some other OSes and also clean out the guts and re TIM the heatsinks as well.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
I thought you could technically run it on quite a bit less than that, not that you'd want to of course...

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

1gnoirents posted:

I thought you could technically run it on quite a bit less than that, not that you'd want to of course...

You can if you disable the NX bit check but then you run the risk of crashing lots which defeats the purpose. AFAIK the Pentium M models with the 533FSB is the oldest CPU thats supported.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Oh I was just thinking slowest, not oldest. Which is probably a whole new set of rules

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

1gnoirents posted:

Oh I was just thinking slowest, not oldest. Which is probably a whole new set of rules

lovely Atoms. But oldest is WAY cooler than slowest.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Just got a 4790k batch L419B607 at my local frys. Hopefully I can get 5ghz on the asus hero vii with a coolermaster evo212, lol.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

r0ck0 posted:

Just got a 4790k batch L419B607 at my local frys. Hopefully I can get 5ghz on the asus hero vii with a coolermaster evo212, lol.

Most people are hitting 5ghz on the stock intel cooler.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Don Lapre posted:

Most people are hitting 5ghz on the stock intel cooler.

GTFO, link? Are there any guides for setting up the hero vii for overclocking the 4790k? What exactly do I need to change, just bump the multiplier and add some vcore as needed?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

r0ck0 posted:

GTFO, link? Are there any guides for setting up the hero vii for overclocking the 4790k? What exactly do I need to change, just bump the multiplier and add some vcore as needed?

Yea im lying to you.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

r0ck0 posted:

maybe if you delid and put a house fan directly onto your cooler and turn the AC down to 55 and are lucky enough to get one that will maybe

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.
Intel has released some new low-end Haswell Refresh processors:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Anyone know if a random Xeon server or workstation will take an i7 as long as they are both LGA1366? Would HP/Dell lock it out of the BIOS for any reason?

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

Bob Morales posted:

Anyone know if a random Xeon server or workstation will take an i7 as long as they are both LGA1366? Would HP/Dell lock it out of the BIOS for any reason?

Single Socket Motherboard? Maybe.

Otherwise? Not a chance.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

roadhead posted:

Single Socket Motherboard? Maybe.

Otherwise? Not a chance.

Yea, single socket.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Welmu posted:

Intel has released some new low-end Haswell Refresh processors:

4370 looking pretty badass

assuming a good microcenter price

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

1gnoirents posted:

4370 looking pretty badass

assuming a good microcenter price

Yeah, I spotted it before it launched: a 3.8GHz i3 is absolutely killer, and for gaming, that's actually going to be a decent choice, saving you a decent amount over an i5.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I have an i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz. Would you say it's worth it to upgrade to Devil's Canyon or wait to upgrade to Broadwell or Skylake? I use it primarily for gaming but also 3d modelling.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Swartz posted:

I have an i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz. Would you say it's worth it to upgrade to Devil's Canyon or wait to upgrade to Broadwell or Skylake? I use it primarily for gaming but also 3d modelling.

Even as someone obsessed with having the fastest hardware out there I decided against upgrading from my 2600k to Devil's Canyon, it's just not a big enough performance increase. You might be interested in Haswell-E if improving 3d modeling performance is a high priority otherwise I'd just wait.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

MaxxBot posted:

Even as someone obsessed with having the fastest hardware out there I decided against upgrading from my 2600k to Devil's Canyon, it's just not a big enough performance increase. You might be interested in Haswell-E if improving 3d modeling performance is a high priority otherwise I'd just wait.
Same here. I'm waiting for Skylake, unless my mainboard or CPU die.

--edit: I just see that Wikipedia mentions an EM64T enhanced mode with double the amount of integer registers. That's a pretty recent reveal, right?

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 24, 2014

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I have a 2600k at 4.5Ghz. I couldn't justify an upgrade either, ended up just getting a solid state drive. CPUs haven't really improved too much in terms of performance since 2010.

(If you want an appreciable upgrade get a solid state drive. It's ludicrous)

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
The only reason I'm thinking about Devil's Canyon is because I live near a Microcenter and their CPU/motherboard bundles would be about a $100+ savings that I won't get until the next hardware release cycle. I'm on a Xeon E3-1230 (Sandy Bridge) and it's humming away fine and the gripes I might have are only solved with a few substantially more expensive rackmounts. Heck, if anything the server motherboard I use is annoying without USB 3.0, no audio (bought a sound card in 2014, yes I did), and no Bluetooth for some peripherals and a headset.

MaxxBot posted:

The primary reason I'd care for Haswell and newer CPUs in desktop sockets is for TSX instructions for running some analytics code I'd write on occasion, but it still won't be justifiable because by definition if I'm the one running it on my personal hardware, I'm not caring so much about real world performance as much as performance scaling curves and whether what I wrote even works. So I'd have to wait for hardware that's out of my control or for some cloud provider to jump in head first in those cases (I think Google's Compute Engine CPUs can do TSX under the hood but that might be just a roadmap point I'm thinking).

If the things here don't ring a bell for you, I'd just wait until something breaks or Intel kicks rear end with Broadwell, Skylake, and so on. http://blog.scottlowe.org/2012/09/11/spcs001-intel-next-generation-haswell-microarchitecture/

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Does Windows support hardware lock elision already in its threading APIs? I wonder how much a difference it makes under load.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I want to upgrade from this 920 so badly but if I get DC then I'm still DDR3, however it'll be years before DDR4 is affordable and not slow as molasses. This is the most brutal transition in generations. :(

movax
Aug 30, 2008

PerrineClostermann posted:

I have a 2600k at 4.5Ghz. I couldn't justify an upgrade either, ended up just getting a solid state drive. CPUs haven't really improved too much in terms of performance since 2010.

(If you want an appreciable upgrade get a solid state drive. It's ludicrous)

The only upgrade I'm considering myself, and it's more of a sidegrade, is replacing my perfectly good P67 mobo with a Z68 so I can use the integrated GPU, and get rid of the loving obnoxious market segmentation I'm victim to right now. It would let me get rid of my GT210.

I /have/ been meaning to build a headless Linux machine for builds though, so maybe I'll get an used 2500K or something and use the P67 the-- oh wait, I wouldn't have a GPU. Goddammit.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Get the $100 deal from microcenter :)

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Rime posted:

I want to upgrade from this 920 so badly but if I get DC then I'm still DDR3, however it'll be years before DDR4 is affordable and not slow as molasses. This is the most brutal transition in generations. :(
DDR3-2400 was effortless via XMP on my new build, and I didn't even have to pay extra for the RAM. To me DDR4 is more about power, manufacturing costs, and the long-term, not benefits today or soon.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Alereon posted:

DDR3-2400 was effortless via XMP on my new build, and I didn't even have to pay extra for the RAM. To me DDR4 is more about power, manufacturing costs, and the long-term, not benefits today or soon.

So basically, if you want a rig that will last as long as a 920 before upgrading again, go with the final DDR3 generation socket.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Judging by past trends, what're the odds of a new crop of z97-compatible motherboards in the mid-to-long-term future that'd support a 4970k? I'm looking at buying a Maximus VII Gene to fit the case I've got (since it seems to be the best mATX motherboard that doesn't have a :yarr: KILLER NIC :yarr:), but if something newer and somehow better is going to come out before Broadwell, I can wait.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

I have the gene. its an awesome board.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

atomicthumbs posted:

Judging by past trends, what're the odds of a new crop of z97-compatible motherboards in the mid-to-long-term future that'd support a 4970k? I'm looking at buying a Maximus VII Gene to fit the case I've got (since it seems to be the best mATX motherboard that doesn't have a :yarr: KILLER NIC :yarr:), but if something newer and somehow better is going to come out before Broadwell, I can wait.

ASUS really only makes one generation of ROG boards per chipset, so unless Intel does yet another refresh of Haswell (unlikely) AND introduces a new chipset to go along with it (almost certainly will not), there will not be another Socket 1150 Maximus GENE.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

GokieKS posted:

ASUS really only makes one generation of ROG boards per chipset, so unless Intel does yet another refresh of Haswell (unlikely) AND introduces a new chipset to go along with it (almost certainly will not), there will not be another Socket 1150 Maximus GENE.

This, though what was their reasoning for making all those [insert badass name here]-Z boards for Z68 again? Was it just to have new stuff for the initial launch of Ivy Bridge? I remember Z77 came out really quickly afterwards.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Rime posted:

Strong NAND flash and LPDDRx demand for SSDs and mobile devices is definitely killing DDR4 adoption right in the tracks. At least I hope this time JEDEC smartens up and get rid of desktop physical standard, because I fail to see why we simply couldn't just use laptop memory for desktop PCs in this age for economics of scale and space savings.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

movax posted:

The only upgrade I'm considering myself, and it's more of a sidegrade, is replacing my perfectly good P67 mobo with a Z68 so I can use the integrated GPU, and get rid of the loving obnoxious market segmentation I'm victim to right now. It would let me get rid of my GT210.

I /have/ been meaning to build a headless Linux machine for builds though, so maybe I'll get an used 2500K or something and use the P67 the-- oh wait, I wouldn't have a GPU. Goddammit.

Don't forget that you can do the same thing with Z77.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Speaking of Intel platforms what's the difference between the H and Z chipsets? Is one superior? I've poked around but they all seem to have the same feature set and whatnot.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Panty Saluter posted:

Speaking of Intel platforms what's the difference between the H and Z chipsets? Is one superior? I've poked around but they all seem to have the same feature set and whatnot.

Z allows overclocking. H does not.

This distinction is muddied by the fact that a number of motherboard manufacturers hacked in at least some overclocking support to a number of their H (and B) boards.

Z also allows PCIe lane bifurcation for SLI and CrossFire graphics configurations (or really, for two or three high-performance PCIe devices regardless of use). H boards could be hacked the same way with a PCIe bridge, but that's more expensive than just using a Z in the first place.

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jul 26, 2014

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Ah, that makes sense. Nice to know I bought the right one (purely by accident but what the heck).

This is more of a general computing question but motherboards are grounded at the mounting points aren't they? Or do the standoffs keep that from happening?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Yes, they are grounded. There are metal contacts in most of the screw holes just for that reason - so that, through the case and the PSU casing on through the cable, everything can ground to earth.

Grounding at places other than the screw holes is incorrect and causes errors (e.g. "poo poo don't turn on" syndrome), though, so use your stand-offs.

It's not necessary to have the board ground through the case, though - any black wire from the PSU is a ground connection. But grounding through the case helps prevent static electricity problems, especially during assembly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I found a couple of mine were loose and after tightening them my BSODs have seriously declined in number. Granted I removed my discrete sound card at that time as well so who knows? Hooray for sloppy rear end troubleshooting!