Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Grundulum posted:

Is "upgrade/change the memory" really a patentable development?

No, since you can already get flash memory in a DRAM form-factor if you really need it.

Never judge a patent by the title, the only part of a patent that holds legal weight is the claims -- and on the first run the claims are usually incredibly broad and some are expected to be rejected to get a feel for what the examiner considers novel. Patent lawyers consider getting an application accepted on the first try a failure because it means they could have gone even more broad and likely gotten more IP locked away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

BobHoward posted:

You say there isn't a noticeable gain. How can you tell?...on what basis do you claim durability has gone down? How do you know costs haven't changed? Why do you think I'm merely theorycrafting? I have worked at a fabless semi company...
Where is the difference in capabilities or performance? FM2+ and LGA1150 both support high clocked dual channel DDR3 RAM, both can allow overclocks of that DDR3 RAM fairly well, both support PCIe 3, and support high clocked + high bandwidth buses. Ultimately those are all the things that actually matter and if the advantages of LGA are too small to make an impact on them then do those advantages really matter?

LGA pins are notoriously delicate and difficult to fix even when its possible to do so, the durability difference is obvious. That costs haven't changed much is an assumption on my part. Usually if Intel has some sort of cost advantage they like to crow about it even if they won't go into specifics. I haven't seen anything like that from them and have certainly not seen anything to suggest packaging prices have changed much with LGA vs PGA.

If you would've had a definitive link you probably would've posted it by now + you were giving possible issues instead of giving concrete examples with the actual existing sockets themselves. Its cool (not being ironic, it really is) you've got experience in the business but does your experience really apply to current AMD vs Intel sockets?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Where is the difference in capabilities or performance? FM2+ and LGA1150 both support high clocked dual channel DDR3 RAM, both can allow overclocks of that DDR3 RAM fairly well, both support PCIe 3, and support high clocked + high bandwidth buses. Ultimately those are all the things that actually matter and if the advantages of LGA are too small to make an impact on them then do those advantages really matter?

Please go back and reread what I said about how changes in the parasitic inductance of pins can cause gains or losses in realizable clock frequency at a given TDP rating.

What I have been trying to tell you all along is that real gains can be invisible if you don't know what you're looking for, or don't have the tools to measure them. You seem totally hung up on the fact that AMD got those features to work; that's not the entire picture.

quote:

LGA pins are notoriously delicate and difficult to fix even when its possible to do so, the durability difference is obvious.

The average number of insertion cycles these sockets see is about 1, because enthusiasts are a small fraction of the market. The "durability" metrics important to Intel (and AMD) are the factory assembly scrap rates and field failure rates (within the system warranty period) observed by large PC OEMs. In that context I doubt LGA is substantially different from PGA, as once the chip is installed the delicate contacts are quite well protected.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

BobHoward posted:

Please go back and reread what I said about how changes in the parasitic inductance of pins can cause gains or losses in realizable clock frequency at a given TDP rating.

What I'm not getting is: Where is the difference between a PGA and a LGA socketed CPU wrt to conductor length and resulting inductance? I mean the pins are there in both cases, or does the decreased inductance result from something else?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Grim Up North posted:

What I'm not getting is: Where is the difference between a PGA and a LGA socketed CPU wrt to conductor length and resulting inductance? I mean the pins are there in both cases, or does the decreased inductance result from something else?

The PGA pins have to be longer, and the geometry of those pins and the internal spring clamps gives a higher inductance than the LGA system. The pin has to stick below the side loaded spring contractor by some amount, but the LGA contact pins are also the springs, so the total conductor length is lower and the resulting pin geometry isn't as odd. Longer pins means higher inductance.

When you have a 50A or 100A current surge in 30 microseconds as the chip wakes up and goes to full load, the little bit of extra inductance can cause voltage droop and overshoot. That droop and overshoot causes instability in the transistors, so you either drive the chip harder at higher voltage to correct for the undershoot, or you slow the chip down so the little bit of droop doesn't cause stability issues. You can see the same thing happen on really crappy motherboards with single phase CPU VRMs. In that case the power delivery system can't handle the changing loads, and you see the same vdroop issues and resulting weird poo poo happening.

It's a pretty tiny difference, but a few nanohenries of inductance when you have a dI/dt of 5MA/s can mean a .075 or greater voltage droop for potentially 100+ microseconds, more than long enough for a 10+ clock cycles to potentially have flaky switching behavior. Now that chips are in the .9-1.1V factory voltage range, 0.075V becomes a non-trivial ripple in supply voltage. It's also why a lot of the nicer motherboards have droop compensation built in, they bump the voltage up during large load swings and bring it back down after 150ish microseconds, to cancel out the droop for the most part. It's still there, but doesn't really affect the chip thermally.

Is LGA better than PGA from a pure electric performance standpoint? Yes-ish. Is it better from a cost standpoint? I don't know. Can you engineer around it with motherboard features and creative wiring? You sure as gently caress can. To the average end user, it's basically a wash, most boards are smart enough to auto-compensate for the few things that are slightly different, and aside from how you clamp it in, there isn't anything different.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me
While I'm sure chip manufacturers don't care about this, it is significantly easier to recycle and reuse LGA CPUs vs PGA. Now you might say that just makes it harder to recycle/reuse the motherboard, but that was already crazy difficult. If a CPU is bad, it likely won't post, so if that was the point of failure, it's easy to test. Motherboards can have dozens of points of failure and are a headache no matter what socket is used, so most recyclers don't even try to reuse them. They just shred them and reclaim precious minerals, so it doesn't matter how much harder you make it to reuse motherboards.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

BobHoward posted:

What I have been trying to tell you all along is that real gains can be invisible if you don't know what you're looking for, or don't have the tools to measure them. You seem totally hung up on the fact that AMD got those features to work; that's not the entire picture.
Yes I got that. What you're not getting/admitting is the following: If any gains are so small that they're invisible without special tools/measuring equipment than they don't matter and at best you're reduced to academic hair splitting about engineering trade offs that are invisible to everyone but the CPU/package designers. That is also why I'm focusing on features, you don't need special tools/equipment to see differences there and any advantages would be obvious and clear cut.

The proof should be in the pudding so to speak and that there isn't any is very telling. I don't know a simpler way of putting things really and we're kind've going around and around on this so if its OK I'll just drop it. :/

BobHoward posted:

The average number of insertion cycles these sockets see is about 1, because enthusiasts are a small fraction of the market.
Its true that virtually no CPU socket gets changed out very often so in theory it shouldn't be an issue at all. In the actual real world I've gotten multiple mobo's new out of the box with bad LGA pins from the manufacturer (ASUS and Gigabyte). 1 I was able to jigger the LGA pins close enough for stuff to work, the other had to be RMA'd. Others have managed to damage their LGA sockets just by butter fingering the CPU in/out of the socket and dropping it on the pins. This problem isn't massive but it isn't uncommon either. I never had any issues like that with PGA CPU's and mobo's and it seems to me fewer people had issues in general too. I've only ever had to use the mech. pencil trick once to fix a bent CPU pin and that was after I was an idiot and butter fingered the CPU so it dropped on a hardwood floor. Worked just fine for years after that.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Well the good news is that CPU progress has slowed to such a glacial pace that you can just keep the same CPU/mobo for 5-10 years without any compelling reason to upgrade so plugging a new CPU into a socket isn't really something that happens anymore :v:

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Pryor on Fire posted:

Well the good news is that CPU progress has slowed to such a glacial pace that you can just keep the same CPU/mobo for 5-10 years without any compelling reason to upgrade so plugging a new CPU into a socket isn't really something that happens anymore :v:

My current PC is a P35 based mother board, bought 8 years ago. I am going to build a Skylake system this next month, that could last me 10 years or more. I wonder if the system I build after that, might be the last PC I ever build...

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Pryor on Fire posted:

I think the next big improvements for computers will come outside the CPU. We are already seeing SSD's as a meaningful upgrade that is more cost efficient than a new CPU, and things like xpoint (or similar) that move faster storage closer to the CPU, as well as HBM (or similar) that move faster memory closer to the CPU will be the next big 'must haves' for computers.

GPU growth and integration will continue a pace for a while, and the VR products coming in the next few years might give them a boost, but we are already heavily into the 'branding, not innovation' business model, so don't expect anything amazing.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I think laptops that can be used for 10 hours strait and still be portable as pretty amazing.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
its almost like CPUs have made amazing advances but my gigahurtz :saddowns:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Boiled Water posted:

I think laptops that can be used for 10 hours strait and still be portable as pretty amazing.
Yeah there's still stuff beyond just the speed. I want to see crazy performance with passive cooling :colbert:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

go3 posted:

its almost like CPUs have made amazing advances but my gigahurtz :saddowns:

^^^^^^^

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Except that they haven't? Or :thejoke:?

http://www.techspot.com/article/1039-ten-years-intel-cpu-compared/page3.html

Unless the application uses AVX2 or something, the difference from C2Q era to the 4790K is like 2-3 times. Which is nice but kind of lame really for 8 years of development.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA
then compare performance/watt, which has gotten a lot better?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

kujeger posted:

I think the point is in reasonable raw day to day performance, a metric that most enthusiasts care far more about than saving pennies on an electrical bill.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

PerrineClostermann posted:

I think the point is in reasonable raw day to day performance, a metric that most enthusiasts care far more about than saving pennies on an electrical bill.

Performance / watt has enabled modern laptops to become what they are. It's pretty incredible, especially as gaming workloads have consistently remained 100% GPU limited.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Twerk from Home posted:

Performance / watt has enabled modern laptops to become what they are. It's pretty incredible, especially as gaming workloads have consistently remained 100% GPU limited.

Not arguing that, my t100 is great. But most enthusiasts do their heavy lifting on their towers, not on a more expensive, less able laptop.

So again, that's not the metric enthusiasts particularly care for.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I think he's saying he'd rather have a worse SuperPi score with a 7ghz CPU vs a better SuperPi score with a 3ghz CPU.

Also looking at the SuperPi records makes me long for better cooling.

7Ghz or go home.
http://hwbot.org/benchmark/superpi_-_1m/

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 23, 2021

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Not arguing that, my t100 is great. But most enthusiasts do their heavy lifting on their towers, not on a more expensive, less able laptop.

So again, that's not the metric enthusiasts particularly care for.

Physics is a bitch. Until we can figure out an entirely new mode of computing, we'll have to focus on parallelizing our work instead of just making one really fast core. Cheap space travel would be nice too, but it turns out, it is actually REALLY HARD.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

kujeger posted:

For laptop parts, maybe. My Q6600 has a TPD of 105W vs 88W for 4790K. Again, that's nice, but kinda lame.

http://ark.intel.com/products/29765/Intel-Core2-Quad-Processor-Q6600-8M-Cache-2_40-GHz-1066-MHz-FSB
http://ark.intel.com/products/80807/Intel-Core-i7-4790K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_40-GHz

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

enthusiasts are pretty irrelevant so i'm not particularly sure why Intel should be catering to them

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

true performance nerds buy xeon cluster farms

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Also, isn't it the case that the TDPs for Haswell were UP on Ivy Bridge? (Same clocks). I guess it was something to do with integrating the voltage regulator..

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Aug 3, 2015

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Skandranon posted:

Physics is a bitch. Until we can figure out an entirely new mode of computing, we'll have to focus on parallelizing our work instead of just making one really fast core. Cheap space travel would be nice too, but it turns out, it is actually REALLY HARD.

Not arguing against that truth either.

go3 posted:

enthusiasts are pretty irrelevant so i'm not particularly sure why Intel should be catering to them

Or that.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

sincx posted:

Desktop performance--when not power limited and using reasonable overclocks--has barely improved (if at all) over the last few years because of max clock speeds getting worse and worse, thus cancelling out any IPC gains.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9482/intel-broadwell-pt2-overclocking-ipc/2

It looks like Intel just made their variability a lot better (i.e., smaller) so a "great" overclock is much closer to the mean.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

That's just watts, not performance per watt. Picking a random benchmark from Anandtech's comparisons:

Cinebench single-threaded:

Q6600: 2778 CBMarks; 26.46 CBMarks per watt
i7-4790K : 8785 CBMarks; 99.8 CBMarks per watt

That's nearly a fourfold improvement. I admit, the gains in a given year don't seem especially compelling anymore to me either, but it's not like there hasn't been noticeable progress.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
Skylake packaging is uh... huh

http://hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/85187-intel-skylake-core-i7-6700k-i5-6600k-packaging-leaks-online/

http://www.overclock3d.net/articles/cpu_mainboard/intel_skylake_box_pictured_k-cpus_will_not_come_with_cpu_coolers/1

Also confirmed that they don't come with any CPU coolers at all

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill
Oh god the thread will hate me but I actually don't think they look bad at all :ohdear:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Marinmo posted:

Oh god the thread will hate me but I actually don't think they look bad at all :ohdear:

That's a perfectly fine opinion to have, since it's a CPU box. It's something you see for a few moments, take the CPU out of, and then throw back in the case box with all the other boxes of poo poo you just unpacked to build your new system.

You know you have nothing to give a poo poo about when you're thinking about the graphic design of a CPU box.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

I'm ok with this

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Intel seems to care a little bit too much about the design of something that people hardly ever see because:
1) They are getting that poo poo by the tray
2) Already bought it off Newegg before seeing anything so at that point who gives a gently caress what the box looks like. And if the goal is to recreate an Apple unboxing experience then :lol:

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

I refuse to buy a Skylake over this

#NotMYskylake

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Holy gently caress, I better wait for Zen.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

wipeout posted:

Holy gently caress, I better wait for Zen.
Hopefully they get inspired by the old GPU boxes, like have some monk meditating with a bunch of video gamey poo poo flying out of his head.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

japtor posted:

Hopefully they get inspired by the old GPU boxes, like have some monk meditating with a bunch of video gamey poo poo flying out of his head.

Sadly, I can't find a picture of the 3D Nuclear Pope XL box.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

japtor posted:

Intel can have a sexy blue-haired anime babe (holding a gun) on their CPU boxes and AMD can have a sexy red-haired robot babe (holding a gun) on their CPU boxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Are we too far past a dark blue background with 3D geometric shapes of various primary and secondary colors hovering over a purple-blue grid plane?