Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Green Gloves posted:

I am just playing Doom for 30 minutes and the temperature shoots up to 90*C.

wipeout posted:

If you took the Intel cooler off and refitted it, that could be part of why it's hot - the push pins can get fucky and the clamping force goes to poo poo.

Just spend $30 and get a 212 Evo. I've never used the stock cooler but that sounds like it's a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Asked in the part picking thread here but got no replies so trying here. tl;dr version: is i5-6500 w/stock cooler ok in a small case (Ncase M1)? And is 450W fine for pretty much any GPU I'd pair it with? Not that I plan to get a high end GPU or anything, but just want to future proof it enough in case.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
The push pins should not have an issue unless you installed it wrong which is common. People tend to twist those things around and poo poo. Just read the directions people.

Second Sun
Apr 6, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

japtor posted:

Asked in the part picking thread here but got no replies so trying here. tl;dr version: is i5-6500 w/stock cooler ok in a small case (Ncase M1)? And is 450W fine for pretty much any GPU I'd pair it with? Not that I plan to get a high end GPU or anything, but just want to future proof it enough in case.

Yep, the i5-6500 is only 65watt, so you're fine for power and unlikely to have any problems with heat. The new nvidia cards sip power (just 120watt for the 1060), which makes powering and cooling them easier too.

Worse comes to worse, you can always pick up a new cooler for the cpu if you find it gets too hot.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Second Sun posted:

Yep, the i5-6500 is only 65watt, so you're fine for power and unlikely to have any problems with heat. The new nvidia cards sip power (just 120watt for the 1060), which makes powering and cooling them easier too.

Worse comes to worse, you can always pick up a new cooler for the cpu if you find it gets too hot.
Cool, thanks.

Although now that I've waited this long I'm thinking I might as well wait for Kaby Lake. Or probably just some good deals on the stuff I picked out.

Edit: well Micro Center has the 6500 for $20 off plus $30 off the board when bought together :retrogames:

japtor fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jul 30, 2016

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

EdEddnEddy posted:

Yea you're mainly cooler limited it sounds. Replace it with that 212 and you should be much cooler at 4.4ghz.

Cryorig H7 is only $5 more and should keep it a few degrees cooler. It is a little louder than a 212, though.

e: Also, it's a little smaller so it fits in a lot more cases and doesn't block access to ram cartridges like the 212 does on some boards.

Regrettable fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jul 30, 2016

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Just get a water block :colbert:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

JnnyThndrs posted:

Yeah, the stock cooler is adequate -sorta- for stock clocks on a 4790k, but I would never overclock with it. Not when an Evo 212 is $29 or less.

I don't believe it's even barely adequate; I've always said that the stock cooler should never be used with a 4790K. Plenty of examples of people out there saying it throttles with it, bone stock. Just throwing away performance.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jul 30, 2016

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

HalloKitty posted:

I don't believe it's even barely adequate; I've always said that the stock cooler should never be used with a 4790K. Plenty of examples of people out there saying it throttles with it, bone stock. Just throwing away performance.

Yeah but it's free :v:

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I moved house a few months ago, and in my old place I wasn't on a water meter. I could literately use as much as I wanted. I've always wanted to try adding a simple AIO like a H100, but have a shower head spraying cold water onto the radiator into a drain.

Only problem I can see is you have to have your PC in the bathroom.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

Ak Gara posted:

I moved house a few months ago, and in my old place I wasn't on a water meter. I could literately use as much as I wanted. I've always wanted to try adding a simple AIO like a H100, but have a shower head spraying cold water onto the radiator into a drain.

If you have free water you could probably just hook your loop directly into the water line and not even need a radiator, pump, or reservoir. Just let the city's water pressure do all the work for you.

You'd still have to run plumbing into the room with the computer and it would make it really hard to move your computer to another location but it'd be an interesting experiment.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

A plate heat exchanger might be a good idea to add in, with the hot side filled with proper coolant fluid to avoid the cpu block corroding. :v:

https://www.google.com/search?q=hea...+heat+exchanger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FshsDmeiQL4

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 30, 2016

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
Should I save $10 and grab a refurb 212 for $20? The fan is the only moving part and a heatsink is a headsink.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Krailor posted:

If you have free water you could probably just hook your loop directly into the water line and not even need a radiator, pump, or reservoir. Just let the city's water pressure do all the work for you.

You'd still have to run plumbing into the room with the computer and it would make it really hard to move your computer to another location but it'd be an interesting experiment.

Running tap water through a CPU block isn't a fantastic idea, though.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Don Lapre posted:

The push pins should not have an issue unless you installed it wrong which is common. People tend to twist those things around and poo poo. Just read the directions people.

Yeah, it's only hard if you don't RTFM and think you are better than Intel at designing these things, which is not all that surprisingly considering people love to parrot the "PC building is so easy" meme while completely out of their depth.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Green Gloves posted:

Should I save $10 and grab a refurb 212 for $20? The fan is the only moving part and a heatsink is a headsink.

That's up to you. You could've gotten a new one for 21.49 a few days ago, but that sale's over now.

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

Ak Gara posted:

Ak Gara posted:

Yeah gently caress the planet.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

snuff posted:

Yeah gently caress the planet.

I donno, I think adding pure clean water to the sewage system would actually help!

(I'm not actually serious about shower cooled CPU.)

because a shower is too many db's.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Yeah, a lot of towns and cities over here in Europe are regularly flushing their sewers with clean water because otherwise all the crap would build up, because there's not enough flow due to people saving water.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Another solution would be to use rain water and only use your computer during severe thunderstorms.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

So I have a Intel Core i5-4690 currently and am looking for upgrades. Should I wait till the next generation comes out in late 2016?

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Fat_Cow posted:

So I have a Intel Core i5-4690 currently and am looking for upgrades. Should I wait till the next generation comes out in late 2016?

Yes.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Do you have a Z-chipset board that allows you to overclock? If so, you might want to consider an overclockable CPU for your current board. If not then it's a bit of a wash. With Skylake having been out for a year we're expecting to see more about Kaby Lake soon, but signs are that it will mostly involve upgrades to peripheral functionality instead of core performance. With no concrete news out yet you could be waiting a few months just to find out that for your purposes it will make no difference.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Fat_Cow posted:

Anything you could care to mention would at best leave you with similar performance, assuming gaming.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Boiled Water posted:

Anything you could care to mention would at best leave you with similar performance, assuming gaming.

Yeah gaming. Never overclocked a CPU before either so maybe I'll get an unlocked one next time.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
An unlocked i5 is the only thing you could get that would be an upgrade at all, and it would still be a very small one. Best case scenario you have a Z series motherboard and can buy a 4690K and get maybe a 15% increase in performance for nearly $250, worst case you don't and you have to spend upwards of $400 on a Skylake build and still not get more than maybe a 25% boost.

Is there something in particular that it's performing poorly in? I'd expect it to get well over 60 FPS in all but the most demanding open world games, not just now but for at least 2-3 more years.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jul 31, 2016

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, I quickly searched to see if you posted about your videocard, and didn't find a post, but if you have anything less than a 1080 you should be looking at a videocard upgrade before your CPU. And if you already have a reasonably modern videocard it might be worth looking into software issues first.

Even 20% seems extremely optimistic for a jump from a 4590 to a 6700K, I'd expect it to be more in the 5-10% range.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I've never had a Haswell processor, do they do the thing where they drop their boost frequency by 100 MHz per extra core that's experiencing heavy load? If so going up nearly 1 GHz with a Skylake K seems like it would get you that 20%, though definitely not much more. If the 4690 actually boosts to 3.9 on all cores then it's an even worse value proposition to upgrade.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jul 31, 2016

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
You might be right there, it depends on the motherboard. With more overclocking focused ones you can set it to ignore load power limits, but with a non overclocking 4690 he probably has a non overclocking motherboard too.

I'm not loyal to any particular site so school me on benchmarks if these are bad, but these are always the sort of graphs I think of when I think about CPU upgrades for gaming. http://www.anandtech.com/show/9483/intel-skylake-review-6700k-6600k-ddr4-ddr3-ipc-6th-generation/16 a couple games can use the extra CPU performance, and most of them hardly notice even going way back to a Sandybridge.

craig588 fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jul 31, 2016

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

HMS Boromir posted:

I've never had a Haswell processor, do they do the thing where they drop their boost frequency by 100 MHz per extra core that's experiencing heavy load? If so going up nearly 1 GHz with a Skylake K seems like it would get you that 20%, though definitely not much more. If the 4690 actually boosts to 3.9 on all cores then it's an even worse value proposition to upgrade.

Even worse when you consider the value proposition of buying new CPU, Motherboard and RAM. Not changing out all those things are free. And free is hard to beat.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Boiled Water posted:

Even worse when you consider the value proposition of buying new CPU, Motherboard and RAM. Not changing out all those things are free. And free is hard to beat.

Yea, but faster RAM actually makes a difference in a bunch of recent AAA titles.

I'm on Broadwell with a H97 board, and now I want to upgrade to Kaby more or less for the faster RAM.

Here's a video covering it: https://youtu.be/frNjT5R5XI4

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
What kind of memory do you have with that broadwell? Because in that video it shows a Ivy keeping pace with skylake if coupled with fast enough ram. If you want to upgrade you should upgrade but for my money i would get some quick DDR3 now that it is still available. Should be a much cheaper upgrade (if it were really my money though i'd leave it at is unless i really needed that last 10-15%).

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

I have a 980ti GPU, 16 GB of RAM. I assumed my CPU was worse than my GPU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Maybe if worse means less new. There's minimal gains to find in by far the most games afaik.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Fat_Cow posted:

If you're at a high resolution, you'd almost certainly see more benefit from upgrading the 980 Ti to a 1080 than swapping out your whole mobo / RAM / CPU.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Fat_Cow posted:

Now I'm curious what you're doing that makes you feel you need an upgrade.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

He's probably eyeing that 5k monitor.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Dual 4.20K monitors man. Muh immersion.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

NihilismNow posted:

What kind of memory do you have with that broadwell? Because in that video it shows a Ivy keeping pace with skylake if coupled with fast enough ram. If you want to upgrade you should upgrade but for my money i would get some quick DDR3 now that it is still available. Should be a much cheaper upgrade (if it were really my money though i'd leave it at is unless i really needed that last 10-15%).

It's 1600. H97 can't support higher than that, it's not worth buying another motherboard plus faster RAM at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I overclocked my 5820K a little bit and now it's loving fantastic. I can literally be playing a game at 100+ fps with Handbrake running in the background doing 720p encodes at 60fps.

RIP my power bill.