Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
I love the way they're handling PCIe 3.0 support. "Buy it now, find out if PCIe 3.0 works when you buy a PCIe 3.0 device!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Not all that impressed, really. A binned 8 core Xeon with two cores disabled? The thing is ridiculously huge. No USB3 support, no smart response caching, no quicksync (although honestly, unless x264 had QuickSync support, who cares about this?).

Seems extremely unpolished. Yes, it's the absolute fastest. But really, you'd have to be a fool to do anything but get a 2500k and overclock it right now. Ivy Bridge will be worth the money, Sandy Bridge E, not so much. I'd liked it if they had the 12MiB and 15MiB versions of the chip in the review, so you could see where your HUGE LUMP of extra cash went, because lets be honest, it didn't go into 100MHz on the base and turbo clocks.

Although, no more push pins. Yay!

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Nov 14, 2011

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity

Agreed posted:

No interest in this part, will check back when they get those two disabled cores hummin' but only to see "wow that's fast at stuff that can use 16 threads efficiently" and then go back to not being willing to spend $1000+ on a CPU.
Well, like The Tech Report said, there's no reason to get the $1000 model when you get get the unlocked $550 model and turn up the clocks yourself.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Can't wait for people to start wanting to build these systems in the System Building thread. "It costs so much more, it must be better and kill games like no other! :downs:"

If I had a ton of money, I'd probably build one of these, but I don't, so I'll stay happy with my 2600K box.

I don't get the complaint of Quick Sync going away though, is software support even that good for it? (i.e. does any affordable encoder that supports Quick Sync come close to x264 in output quality)? You have six loving threads at 4GHz, put them to work encoding poo poo!

Also yeah, PCIe 3.0 support being not publicly listed is pretty amusing. Hopefully someone with a lot of money will try throwing a Xilinx Virtex-7 reference kit into a PCIe slot and seeing if they link up at PCIe 3.0 speeds.

movax fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Nov 14, 2011

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Crushing everything in certain tests.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

It's a hex-core Sandy Bridge with higher clocks, what's it supposed to do? Anomalous nosedive in performance? I mean, yeah, it's powerful, but what did we expect? (Well, I guess we kind of did expect 8 cores until they made that announcement but still you get what I'm saying.)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Eh, an enthusiast mobo with SAS would be nice. At least for a boot drive.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

Crushing everything in certain tests.

Just you wait, you're gonna feel reeaaaaaaaaaaaaaal dumb when Piledriver crushes you all! :killdozer:

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'd be a lot more tempted to shell out the extra $300-$400 for a -E system if Intel's entusiast/mainstream tick-tock didn't mean in 6-9 months I'd probably regret it after seeing the first Ivy Bridge benchmarks.

I wish they'd update the platforms at the same time.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Are there any plans for Intel to release a high end consumer (read not xeon) 8C/16T proc?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Shaocaholica posted:

Are there any plans for Intel to release a high end consumer (read not xeon) 8C/16T proc?

E: Moron patrol got ahold of my keyboard, hold please.

DE: Doesn't look like it.

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Nov 30, 2011

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Shaocaholica posted:

The current CPUs are 8 cores with 2 cores disabled to improve clockspeeds at the rated TDP. Supposedly they should be able to make uncut 8-core CPUs with the next stepping (minor revision) of the CPU.

freeforumuser
Aug 11, 2007
Ivy Bridge SKUs leaked:
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2208665

tldr: not worth holding off SB for IB.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

This is pretty much exactly what we've been expecting all along, it's weird to see people in that thread getting all bummed out about "I was hoping for 10%-15% clock for clock" - like, really? Okay, I remember when Intel was throwing out funny numbers half a year ago too, but that was pretty clearly marketing and they've since clarified for the record that the clock-for-clock improvement is modest, it's intended to be a power efficiency and integral process change. As the second gent points out, the power requirements for the same clock rate are crazy good. Unless there's something unforeseen about the tri-gate transistor lithography that makes it prone to electromigration or other degrading nano-scale electrical phenomena, it looks like in addition to higher stock clocks, dramatically better power efficiency, they should also be really good overclockers, with a higher trivial and higher "sweet spot" overclock, not to mention much lower power draw as they approach very high clocks (2600K/2700K can get up to around 300W at 5GHz).

The low TDP of the efficiency-first SKUs in particular means they'll be able to bring a serious, genuinely 4-core CPU to laptops where battery life is still a necessity, and the lower thermal waste means they'll be easier to cool in that application as well.

All in all, it looks like just what we expected, doesn't it? Very impressive release, especially in the climate where their competitor is tripping over their own feet :) ... ... :( AMD, why :cry:

Anyone complaining about Ivy Bridge is misguided or had unrealistic expectations, I think.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
This makes me glad I have no capacity to wait and ended up getting a 2500K :)

What a great cpu, love the setup.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

freeforumuser posted:

Ivy Bridge SKUs leaked:
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2208665

tldr: not worth holding off SB for IB.

This post summed it up nicely:

"Looks like the raw performance will probably not be much greater than SB. But the thermals will be pretty significant. And thanks to AMDs incompetence. Intel has no incentive to bring out high clocked IB."

I'm pretty sure Intel could have clocked some higher, but they were shooting for lower TDPs. The interesting wildcard here is overclocking. I'd imagine they'll overclock better. Reviews are going to be interesting.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Graphics performance should also be significantly improved, which is one area where improvements will really matter. I just desperately wish that Intel had driver competence to back up the quality of their CPUs.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Looking forward to running IVB. Of course, I'm still rolling with a Yorkfield at home...

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
I know it's partly a marketing thing, but I can't help but think that Intel is just plowing through the model names recklessly. In a mere three years, we've gone from i5-750 to i5-2500K to i5-3570K. Next year we'll be hearing about the i5-4580K, and it won't be long before the numbers have inflated so much that all that's left is i5-6599K, and if Intel wants to release an SKU with higher clocks, they'll have to go into hexadecimal digits.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Factory Factory posted:

I know it's partly a marketing thing, but I can't help but think that Intel is just plowing through the model names recklessly. In a mere three years, we've gone from i5-750 to i5-2500K to i5-3570K. Next year we'll be hearing about the i5-4580K, and it won't be long before the numbers have inflated so much that all that's left is i5-6599K, and if Intel wants to release an SKU with higher clocks, they'll have to go into hexadecimal digits.

Look at this guy, thinking past 2012. What a chump. :smug:

I rather like this system, the first digit is a clear generation identifier, second is a pretty good series indicator. Still, much easier to understand that Xeon numbering, in my opinion (though then again, I don't normally keep up to tabs on the exact models/types of Xeons)

Am I missing something (:downs:) or why would we stop at i5-6599K? I figured it out I'm dumb :eng99:

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

FF posted:

If they do go to hex, though, they might end up naming one after you :v:.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

ATI's number scheme has already come full circle. poo poo, in two more product cycles we'll all be able to buy a Radeon 9800...AGAIN!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Nostrum posted:

ATI's number scheme has already come full circle. poo poo, in two more product cycles we'll all be able to buy a Radeon 9800...AGAIN!
Yeah but it'll be a Radeon HD 9800. :downs:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Nostrum posted:

The fun part is nvidia going from 4-> FX 5xxx -> 6000/7000/8000/etc while ATI goes 9700/9800/HD 4xxx/5000/6000 etc. Converging!

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So have all previous Intel 6 core procs actually been 8 core procs with 2 turned off?

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
They can bundle it with a HL2:Anniversary coupon, like the 9600xt :v:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Shaocaholica posted:

So have all previous Intel 6 core procs actually been 8 core procs with 2 turned off?

No.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Shaocaholica posted:

No, this is their first such consumer processor. A few of the recent 6-core Xeons have been die-harvested 8 or 10 core processors, although there have been true 6 core Xeons as well.

Shipping a part with components disabled without shipping the full version is a fairly unusual; that extra wasted silicon costs a lot of money.

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

It just seems wrong to ruin something like that for no real reason, other than to profit :(

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Un-l337-Pork posted:

It just seems wrong to ruin something like that for no real reason, other than to profit :(

Not just profit, though. Thermal/power concerns, production consistency... Could need a stepping in order to get well-functioning and reliable 8-core produced with their current lithography. Don't go right for the "gently caress the consumer!" angle, it's possible that they just couldn't put out 8-core parts reliably or within the thermal envelope or power budget right now.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
If they knew they could put out reliable 8 core parts right now, they'd definitely do it because they could charge more money versus the 6 core ones.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
How can you tell which procs (SB and IB) are die harvested and which aren't? Are all IB dual core procs moving forward doing to be die harvested quads?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Shaocaholica posted:

How can you tell which procs (SB and IB) are die harvested and which aren't? Are all IB dual core procs moving forward doing to be die harvested quads?

The only CPUs guaranteed to not be rebinned higher level procs with some manner of defect, are the most expensive CPUs in any given family.

Core Solo and Core 2 Solo processors for example, were almost entirely Core Duo/Core 2 Duos with a minor to major defect in one of the cores.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
I don't think Intel does any die harvesting on Sandy Bridge, they even have separate dies for dual-core SB CPUs with HD Graphics 2000 (most i3s) and 3000 (other i3s).

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Alereon posted:

I don't think Intel does any die harvesting on Sandy Bridge, they even have separate dies for dual-core SB CPUs with HD Graphics 2000 (most i3s) and 3000 (other i3s).

They've gotta be at least binning for the 2700/2600. Like, I basically feel like what happened there is the chip lottery for higher clocking 2600Ks got more difficult when they introduced the 2700K and now there's a price premium for chips that might clock higher a little easier. :/

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Agreed posted:

They've gotta be at least binning for the 2700/2600. Like, I basically feel like what happened there is the chip lottery for higher clocking 2600Ks got more difficult when they introduced the 2700K and now there's a price premium for chips that might clock higher a little easier. :/

For all you know, they could be binned identically. I mean really, has anyone ever had a problem overclocking their 2600K by 100MHz?
I can't even imagine it could ever happen, since the chip is obviously designed to scale up to its turbo frequency.. and that's only 100MHz more on the 2700K too.

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001
I FUCKING WASTED 10 HOURS AND $40 TODAY. FUCK YOU FATE AND/OR FORTUNE AND/OR PROBABILITY AND/OR HEISENBURG UNCERTAINTY PRINCIPLE.

HalloKitty posted:

For all you know, they could be binned identically. I mean really, has anyone ever had a problem overclocking their 2600K by 100MHz?
I can't even imagine it could ever happen, since the chip is obviously designed to scale up to its turbo frequency.. and that's only 100MHz more on the 2700K too.

I'm very happy with my 4.8 GHz on my 2500k, on air. If they are binning, it's not too much.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

HalloKitty posted:

I KNOW, that's the trouble, we have no idea if it's a real thing or if they're just "let's add an sku gently caress it make money money." And I'm the rear end in a top hat that'd pay for the 2700K because I'd be thinking, poo poo, the 2600K is kind of second tier, what if they're bad 2700s? But I got the 2600K before the 2700K existed, so this crisis of confidence doesn't affect me, you know, apart from a clear lingering neurosis.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

HalloKitty posted:

I want to claim that I was hit with an unlucky 2600K (4.6ghz at 1.38V, and 4.7ghz at >1.4+), but, I mean.. it runs at 4.6ghz, which is just ridiculously-fast. I accidentally went to the first page of the Hardware short questions thread earlier (and got really confused before I checked the date :v: ), but looking around at what we were all using in 2006 vs. what's available now at consumer pricing is just mind-boggling.

So for me, even if they were binning for the 2700K's, I really can't complain about the performance of a 4c/8t CPU quietly plugging along at nearly 5ghz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Agreed posted:

I KNOW, that's the trouble, we have no idea if it's a real thing or if they're just "let's add an sku gently caress it make money money." And I'm the rear end in a top hat that'd pay for the 2700K because I'd be thinking, poo poo, the 2600K is kind of second tier, what if they're bad 2700s? But I got the 2600K before the 2700K existed, so this crisis of confidence doesn't affect me, you know, apart from a clear lingering neurosis.
Marketing: It really works!

What strikes me as really odd is why didn't they push them up more, bin them faster and sell them at a bigger price difference? The K chips are such incredible value it almost seems out of character, I guess they just want to sell them as a reliable product and leave a lasting sentiment of good will on the market.