Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

SynVisions posted:

For some reason I'm hitting a hard barrier at 4.5GHz with my 2500k. It's rather interesting, I can run rock solid at 4.4GHz with 1.30v but 4.5GHz+ with any amount of vcore causes it to hang when trying to boot into Windows. It's just strange because it's not for a lack of voltage or too much heat...

I'm almost tempted to try a Linux live cd to see if that will boot.

It seems that there is a barrier that some chips just can't cross. At least 4.4ghz is respectable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Any chance Intel will allow swapping/upgrading boards to the ones that can do quicksync while still using a dedicated GPU for gaming or other things?

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

quote:

Ultimately you could see a full disconnect - your SATA drive(s) would not longer be visible at POST or you’d see a drive letter disappear in Windows.
A problem some of us have already run into, interesting.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

brainwrinkle posted:

I really hope the recall isn't handled poorly. It would be a huge pain to go through a normal RMA process in March. I think I would almost rather deal with four dead SATA 3 Gbs ports than tear my computer apart and wait 10 days for a replacement.

Yep, almost making me regret not just buying an i7 iMac, even if it would've been more money and less powerful. I'm not looking forward to :spergin: the inside of my case again.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Cwapface posted:

Intel are resuming shipping faulty chipsets to manufacturers whose products won't use the 3GB/sec ports. What's the bet Apple threw a loving hissy fit about Intel's fuckup and threatened all kinds of poo poo if they don't let them announce and ship the SB MBPs and iMacs everybody's expecting?

I was about to post and suggest that it was probably Apple that was able to persuade/force them to send them the boards.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Is there any difference between pci sata cards? One of my drives keeps disappearing, and I fear that if I keep it connected, I'm going to corrupt everything on it. I'm using 3 sata ports, and am adding an additional fourth sata drive soon. I don't think I can go 2-3 months for RMA before adding another drive.

2-3 sata 3 gb/s pci card that's as cheap and reliable as possible, any recommendations?

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
I think the Marvell drivers for Windows 7 x64 are fine, but other than that, they might not be that great.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Longinus00 posted:

Perhaps what people don't realize is that "15% in X years" doesn't mean that it takes X years before anything happens to those 15%.

Yeah, mine has been showing problems since week 2. I just unplugged the drives I was using in the broken ports and when I need them, I'll switch drives around I guess.

Such a pain but I don't want to buy a sata card I'll literally never use again after April.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Got my exchange email today

quote:

An important announcement regarding your Intel I7 2600K, I7 2600, I5 2500K, or I5 2400 Processor (“Sandy Bridge”) motherboard purchase.
Beginning March 3rd, we will start to receive inventory from several manufacturers for the next 2-3 weeks. Inventory however will be limited until early April. We wanted you to be one of the first to know.

There are several options open to you. So that we may better serve you, please complete a very short questionnaire concerning which options you prefer.  After completing the questionnaire you will be taken to a page with further details.  See your local Micro Center store with questions.

Thank you for your business and your patience through this extremely rare situation.

Please click the link below to be taken to the questionnaire.

Your Micro Center Team

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
I'm confused, I'm at 4.4 stable @ 1.22 voltage. Did I get a golden chip? (I can hit 4.7 pretty stable but 4.8 crashes too much-- I turned it down though because a cold boot would tell me "Overclocking failed press F1 to go to BIOS")

If I push 1.3 voltage can I potentially hit 5 ghz stable?

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Seed posted:

Really? What kind of cooling do you have? My 2600k can reach 4800MHz at 1.35 vcore, but then my load temps shoot to 75-80C which I'm not comfortable with. I keep my chip at 4.5GHz/1.26v with 60-65C load temps. Running a Noctua NH-U12P cooler.

I was hoping to run 4800Mhz but the high load temps make me hesitate to keep the vcore that high all the time.

With my H70 and 1.38 vcore I was able to hit 4.85 stable with like 50-60c load temperatures. I turned it down back to 4.7~ though because I didn't want to push the vcore too much, I want this PC to last me until next years iMacs.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Is there a reason not to keep a pre-rev3 board?
They're replacing them for free, it's a minor inconvenience to swap it out, but you should do it.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

chutwig posted:

I exchanged mine at the Micro Center in St Davids and pointed the price difference out when they were doing the exchange. The guy handling exchanges grumbled a little bit and wandered off for about 5 minutes before returning, but ultimately I got out of there with the new board without paying the $40 difference.

Son of a bitch, I was hoping to upgrade mine to a Pro, that's going to make things more difficult.

Did they give you a gift card for the delay, like they mentioned in that survey they sent out last month?

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

movax posted:

How have the past six months gone for you, fellow Sandy Bridge owners? Looks like 4.8GHz is the sweet-spot for my 2600K. No chipset bugs to worry about, now just eagerly awaiting Battlefield 3, MW3 and Diablo 3 to throw the 2600K at.

Not well, my sata ports died and ASUS is giving me the run around with my RMA. It's been like three weeks that their shipping depot has been "out of stock" on my replacement P8P67. I've been managing just fine without my desktop though, which was pleasantly surprising to me.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
If you guys are looking for an i5 2500k and have a Microcenter near you, better act quickly:

http://slickdeals.net/f/5512894-Intel-Core-i5-2500K-3-3GHz-LGA-1155-Boxed-Processor-100-Free-In-Store-Pick-Up

I was actually tempted to pick one up but decided against it.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Meow Tse-tung posted:

This is the exact situation I'm in now. Sup core2 duo buddy :shobon:. I've read this thread and others, but the most I've gleaned seems to be "Haswell will be more energy efficient, probably about 10% faster and a bunch of poo poo that doesnt matter with today's video games."

I also posted in the system builder thread, but I'm curious what you guys think for gaming purposes: Get an i5 ivy now, or hold out for a haswell later? Either way I'll need a new motherboard, and my core2 seems to be holding up ok for most games; but it's starting to show it's age with newer stuff like guild wars.

Money's a bit tight, so I figure I can do some small upgrades now (SSD drive that I'll continue to use on new system) if I go that route.

I don't think there are any cpu bound games either now, or probably within the next few years.

I ended up getting the i3750k and building a desktop. Just got a chance to try editing some photos, and holy poo poo it's so much faster than my i2500k macbook air. Like, I knew it would be much more powerful, but god drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

This will either make motherboards really expensive as 17 different variations have to be produced for different market segments, or it will simply make high-feature enthusiast motherboards obsolete because the market is too small for them.

They're already creating motherboards which can't overclock very well due to low vcore pumps-- if the move actually happens, I'd expect there to be 3-5 choices rather than 15+. Everything from "Cheap and functional, enjoy a 3% overclock" to "ZOMG 20 6gbs SATA PORTS, 20% OC"

The overall change will probably be pretty minimal, other than annoyances with parts going bad.