Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I notice there's no new -k chip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I've been meaning to ask, what is TSX and is it useful enough in a typical home gaming PC to give up overclocking for?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

EoRaptor posted:

I'm not too interested in Haswell-E, but it might knock prices for current high end stuff around a bit. DDR4 is going to be a tougher sell, but even if people just see it as a premium option, the 'newer technology' aspect should put some price pressure on DDR3.

I for one certainly won't be making the same early adopter mistake I made with DDR3 ram. There's nothing I regret more than blowing 2 grand on Ram.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Okay, you have to tell us how much RAM you got for 2000 dollars. :allears:

(Also what the exchange rate was then, but given it was when DDR3 was still new this will be hilarious no matter what.)

I got 8gb of ddr3 1600 ram. Drr3 ram was so new that I had to wait for the first ever shipment to enter the country. This was in early 2008. I also spent $700 on a stupid ROG motherboard with an nvidia chipset that could support both ddr3 ram and the Quad SLi 9800GX2's I also blew another 2 grand on.

As I recall it was the only mobo on the market that could do both, and it died on me after 2 years.

I was a young stupid Travis back then.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Ignoarints posted:

I was really hoping for "well it was 32GB at least" but 8... I'm sorry Lord Bude.

they only made 2gig dimms in those days. Otherwise I'm sure my younger idiot self would have bought more. Even using 4 2gig dimms was challenging on those old nvidia chipsets.

I still haven't told you about the horrible wind tunnel antec 900 case or the ridiculous 1500w psu I thought I needed because I had no clue back then.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Mar 19, 2014

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

God dammit intel, now I have to wait till June before I buy a new computer:argh:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I don't understand why they don't save some money by ditching the integrated gpu from -k processors altogether. Only enthusiasts/gamers have any interest in -k processors anyhow, and there isn't a single one of us on the face of the earth who wouldn't have a real gpu. It's entirely redundant.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Do we know if X99 will only support ddr4, or will we be getting a mixture of ddr3 and ddr4 mobos like we did when ddr3 first came out?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Alereon posted:

DDR4 only, it's a completely different technology so there is no backwards compatibility. Notably, boards can only have one slot per channel, so X99 boards will have four slots that are all populated. Upgrading RAM involves replacing your existing DIMMs with new, larger ones.

If the price was reasonable (say no more than 200 more than a 4770K + mobo) I'd actually consider an entry level haswell-E setup, assuming the performance in metrics I care about was worth it - but I'm dead set on going mITX, and I'm not aware of any mITX socket 2011 mobo on the market, so I doubt that situation would change much with Haswell-E.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Is there any news on this from a legitimate tech website? Wccftech is the internet equivalent of little old ladies gossiping at church over stuff they made up/heard 3rd hand.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Alereon posted:

:siren:Holy poo poo they weren't full of it, Asus Z97 reviews incoming:siren:

HardOCP reviews the Asus Z97 Deluxe - I'm digging the low DPC latency and that Asus integrated the ROG audio solution into their Deluxe board. If the DPC latency is this low on a board with this much integrated hardware, I'm hoping its amazing on the ROG Hero and Raider boards.

Well I guess sometimes little old gossiping church ladies really do know what's really going on in the community.

Silly black and gold colour scheme is gone finally, and Asus seems to have finally figured out that we don't need loving PCI ports any more.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Apr 28, 2014

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Looks like MSI still hasn't figured out how to position a cpu socket on a mITX board so that you can still fit decent tower coolers :ughh:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Alereon posted:

Most Intel 9-series boards seem to be out, here's Asus's Z97 lineup. I don't see the ROG Maximus VII Ranger, but I suspect its on its way. It looks like all but the cheapest boards also include Intel Ethernet, a significant step up from the crappy Realtek NICs.

MSI is now using Killer garbage in just about everything. It's a shame, their motherboards look so nice.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

So we're only seeing new overclocking chipsets for the time being right? there isn't a replacement for B85/H87 in the immediate future? So I guess it would follow that non overclocking refresh CPUs should work fine in the older chipsets?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Agreed posted:

Can't see a good reason to get 1. a new motherboard, or 2. a new processor, currently have (parted, not built) Z87 motherboard and a 4770K or whatever the highest end skew was for overclocking. Can someone offer me a reason I'm not thinking of? I decided that I don't want to overclock to the nines anymore, I just want to go for something that's performance commensurate with my current 4.5GHz 2600K, which is around 4.2-4.3GHz on Haswell, right? I've got probably the baddest rear end air cooling setup on these particular forums, and that's not something I'm particularly proud of, but it's a whole hell of a lot of Noctua and Prolimatech and big fans and air sections and anyway the point is that seems like a pretty mild OC to reach ~performance parity without having to spend more money for no... apparent reason. I really, really doubt I'll be unable to reach my perf target with what I have right now, and it already has lots of PCI-e 3.0 lanes, plenty of everything I need, compatibility with everything I have... Is there a thing I am missing that would compel me to spend like $500 redoing that whole section of the upcoming build, when I'm already fine with my performance and just want the features of the more modern hardware?

What am I missing? Am I missing anything?

Edit: More modern hardware = Z87 platform + Haswell processor vs. p67 platform + Sandy Bridge processor, not something fancy they're introducing here that I don't care about. I cared about the Z87 stuff enough to say gently caress it I'll build one, same for Haswell per se, but I'd rather not double dip if it's not going to be worth gently caress all for me given that I have not expanded my requirements. I guess it's a very modest gamble that I'll be able to get 4.2-4.3GHz, given the thermal limitation on pre-refresh Haswells, but I am kinda pretty 100% sure I can move heat that fast, and the overapplied TIM and too-thick IHS glue isn't going to stop heat transfer at that low level...

I'm leaning strongly toward "I shouldn't have bought these damned parts in the first place, but what's done is done - is there any reason to do more, I'm thinking no?"

Isn't the 4790K supposed to turbo to 4.4 or 4.5 under stock conditions? Imagine what you could do with Devil's Canyon...

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Agreed posted:

Well, what the gently caress am I going to do with a couple of suddenly last-gen parts? :cry: Never buy and then don't build a computer, it's the dumbest feeling. gently caress you too, bad back.

Sell them on SA mart to poor struggling goons.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Cardboard Box A posted:

Are there any GPUs on the horizon that use more than 16 PCIe lanes?

Holy crap that board is $210. Is it worth it for PWM support and that sweet red and black color scheme? Also what is that giant L-shaped thing surrounding the CPU?

PWM support has been a standard thing on I think all asus mobos since last generation.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

The difference seems to be there is no minimum % fan speed.

Oh ok... On my z87 board the minimum is 40%.

So I read up on the new unlocked Pentium... I'm struggling to see the point. Yes, you can take it up to 4.5 or so, and at that point, it more or less equalizes with the core i3, or falls slightly short.

But in order to do that, you also need to buy an aftermarket CPU cooler, which will end up costing almost as much as the cpu - The Tom's Hardware review uses a noctua U12S. At that point you are spending the same or slightly more as you would if you'd just bought a core i3, and you have to spend more on a z97 mobo. Unless you already have a beefy air cooler lying about, I just don't get it.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

Its not like it costs them anything to make them over the other ones. Its for PR it seems more than anything.

I meant from a consumer perspective... there seems like precious little reason to buy this.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

DevCore posted:

So what's the scoop on Intel's Pentium G3258?

Seems like a pretty realistic and more importantly, affordable option for gaming.

If you manage to overclock the bejeesus out of it; then it can nearly match a core i3. Of course this also relies on buying a more expensive z97 mobo (unless you're willing to trust in hacked in overclocking support on H series boards) and also spending money on a good cooler, at which point you've already spend more money than just buying a core i3 in the first place, so there is literally no point beyond some sort of feel good marketing crap.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

SourKraut posted:

This is the whole reason why Asrock and others are coming out with the barebones Z97 "Anniversary Edition" motherboards that have a satisfactory power delivery system for overclocking but are otherwise sparse.

ooh, I haven't heard about these.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Alereon posted:

It's almost like we're looking at different numbers. The Tom's Hardware review you linked shows a Pentium overclocked to the level achievable with the stock cooler generally beating or at least tying the Core i3 4330, a processor almost twice as expensive. It does get beaten pretty handily by the i3 in Grid 2, but performance is still excellent, and in Metro: Last Light it beats the i3 by an even larger margin where performance is more critical. The overclocked Pentium is fast enough to no longer bottleneck WoW at least. I'll note however that Tom's Hardware isn't very well-respected due to the low quality of their reviews, analysis, and editorial objectivity. It will be interesting to see what TechReport comes up with when they do their "time under xx ms" benchmarks for smoothness.

They were overclocking with a Noctua U12s set to 100% fan speed.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

GokieKS posted:

DDR4 is is nowhere near wide availability yet for desktop parts, so I have no idea where you got the impression of price parity between it and DDR3 from, but it's definitely more expensive for the modules that you can get right now, which are mostly ECC modules for server use. An 8GB ECC DDR4 stick from Crucial right now costs $140, compared to <$100 for DDR3, so you're looking at at least a 30-40% premium.

$40 is at least a relatively trivial price difference. I was one of the idiots foolish enough to buy DDR3 ram in the first couple of weeks that it was available, and aside from the $700 I spent on the motherboard, the Ram itself cost me $2000 for 8gb of DDR3-1600.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

1gnoirents posted:

Is it even worth... 50 watts? If I'm better off buying a steak and beer instead I'm content with that but if there is any reason at all

I have never once, with my gtx680, or now with my 780ti encountered a situation where I wished I had a separate physX card. barely anything uses it, and when it does, you just turn it on and your fps is perfectly fine.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Daviclond posted:

I just built a home media server thing that acts as an HTPC and if anything it's prompted the itch, not made it go away :shobon:

I did finally get around to replacing the 6-year-old noisy case fans with quiet Noctuas that have PWM so that's good. My case is full tower sized though and I don't need that much space anymore - especially now that all my storage is on the server - so I'm mainly looking forward to doing a mini-ITX or micro ATX build in a year or two (the new release of something like Skylake would probably prompt me) and getting the case size down to something more reasonable.

I sate my itch by posting in the PC part picking thread.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Rime posted:

It kills me that I can't find VLP ram faster than 1333. Like, what in the actual gently caress. :psyduck:

Are you in an unusual location? or do you have a different definition of low profile? RAM in which the heatsink doesn't extend more than a mm or two above the PCB is low profile - under 40mm or so, and will happily fit under any cooler. There's a bazillion of them. Gskill Ares or sniper series, Kingston HyperX, Corsair XMP or Vengeance LP, Avexoir Core, Adata XPG series, the list goes on.

Here:

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/avexir-memory-avd3u21331104g2ci

DDR3-2133 and it's cheaper than any 1600 Kit on the market.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

The Last Poet posted:

I'm looking to build a new PC soonish and for some reason i want one of the Samsung M.2 drives in it. I also want SLI. Would i need the 5830 or would the 5820 be sufficient (wrt pcie lanes) ?

There is no legitimate reason to be buying Haswell-E for typical home use or gaming. Get a 4790K if you want to be spendy, but even that is overkill for a gaming machine and you should probably just get a 4690K. Both have more than enough PCIe lanes for an M.2 Drive and a couple of graphics cards.

It's also extremely unlikely that you need SLI unless you have a 4k screen. You can get outstanding performance even at 2560x1440 with a single, top end graphics card like the 780ti. Getting multiple cheaper cards is almost never a good idea - tons of games don't support SLI properly, and half the time it will cause glitches or stuttering or all sorts of fuckups on new games before they get patched/new drivers come out.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

BurritoJustice posted:

To be fair, you can't actually use SLI alongside a M.2 3.0 4x SSD (like the Samsung is) on LGA1150 without a PLX chip. Honestly if you really had to do it, the cheapest option would be a 4690k/4790k alongside an ASRock Extreme9 (only motherboard I know of with both PCIE 3.0 4x M.2 and a PLX chip, also a good 200 dollars cheaper than other PLX boards). But you shouldn't.

The Samsung drive is PCIe 2.0 x4, not 3.0, and you can get an adapter for like $20 to plug it into a PCIe 2.0 x4 slot which is fairly common on just about every ATX sized board.

Even if you insisted on using the M.2 Slot, the two PCIe 3.0x16 slots would still run at x8 and x4, which I doubt would measurably impact performance of the cards unless maybe they were Titan Zs or something. 3.0x4 is still equivalent to 2.0x8, and people run SLI just fine on 2.0x8 without running into bandwidth issues. Here's some data on the subject:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Ivy_Bridge_PCI-Express_Scaling/24.html

So it is perfectly possible, if you wanted to be a nutter, and use SLI and M.2; to do so without a PLX chip. And the Extreme 6 does in fact support booting from M.2. Any z97 board with M.2 support should - I know for a fact Asus has released a bios update to support it for 9 series boards.

Even using an Extreme9 - which at 236 dollars is only a tad more expensive than say a Maximus Gene, and much better featured - isn't an unreasonable purchase for someone looking to build a high end rig with money to burn.

Going for Haswell-E for a gaming machine is lunacy though, and honestly so is buying a samsung M.2 SSD vs just getting an 850 pro or something.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Aug 31, 2014

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

The Last Poet posted:

I don't think theres a good Z97 motherboard that supported bootable M.2 and SLI ?

edit: my understanding is what BurritoJustice said, theres only the ASRock board supports it.

Given the option i'd rather buy a 4790K but without proper M.2 support i'd rather not.
My intent is to buy a 4k monitor as well.

I think the obvious question is 'why ?' and the best answer i can give is i _really_ want the M.2 functionality. A poor answer admittedly, and given it'll cost an extra 700 quid (550 with the 5820) i'm debating getting a 4790K and a Samsung 850.

thanks for the replies.

We are a fair way from getting what I would call acceptable 4k gaming performance, even with two graphics cards - it's probably a couple generations away at best, unless you intend to spend several thousand dollars on graphics cards.

Honestly I also don't think M.2 is worth it, compared to an 850 pro. I'm also not sure that it supports rapid mode, which gives a gigantic performance boost to regular Samsung SSDs.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Aug 31, 2014

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

BurritoJustice posted:

A lot of this is wrong. The XP941 is 3.0, it just wasn't marketed as such because until ASRock did 3.0 M.2 it wasn't an option. See Anandtech's review of the Extreme6 specifically addressing this.

Also it isn't possible to sli using 3.0 4x, Titan Z's or otherwise, as Nvidia disables it under 8x.

You're right about A. The extreme9 being a huge amount of motherboard for the money, and B. normal SATA SDDs on a cheaper board make way more sense.

Crossfire would work though - I'm pretty sure AMD cards will do crossfire at x4. I hadn't realised Nvidia disabled it though.

That review is the first I've heard of the drive being 3.0 - every reference to the drive I could find had listed it as being 2.0

Guess I learn something every day.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

HalloKitty posted:

I don't know, 295X2 takes a good shot at single board gaming at 3840×2160.

So I definitely don't think it's several generations away. The next dual GPU board from AMD or NVIDIA will probably give us the goods, especially since the new consoles are so crap, I doubt we're going to see huge increases in asset quality.

that does better than I thought - That Anandtech review is garbage, they don't test all the games at max settings, or list minimum fps. According to HardOCP minimum fps drops to the mid 20s though.

Still that's a ton of money to pay, and you'd still have to deal with crossfire shenanigans. I don't think 4k is worth doing until you can do it with a single gpu.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Aug 31, 2014

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

LiquidRain posted:

Why can't we get gaming at 4k yet? What's the technical bottleneck - fillrate? shading power? everything, since its' 4x the pixels?

Well we can, you just have to spend a boatload of money on graphics cards.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Alereon posted:

:siren:The Samsung XP941 is not PCI-Express 3.0:siren:

I thought I was right about that.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

BurritoJustice posted:

A confusingly worded Anandtech review then, especially considering that later on they question the performance of the drive compared to the 3.0 4x theoretical maximum. (Also I'm sorry for correcting you on that Bude, my mistake).

I think the moral is the story is that there is a variety of crazy ways to strap PCI-E devices to a system, and its all fricking fascinating.

Thanks for clearing that up Alereon.

I think anandtech in general isn't what it used to be. I had reservations about that graphics card review posted a little while back - you can't review battlefield 4 at high settings, then review crysis 3 at medium settings and say 'oh look, it can do 60fps in both games!' nor is it fair to just look at average fps and not minimum.

And when they review AMD processors they beat around the bush, and gush over improvments over past CPUs, without saying the bleeding obvious of 'why the gently caress would you buy this!'.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Alereon posted:

Interestingly, Anand announced his retirement yesterday, Ryan Smith will now be running the site. I'm not sure I agree with criticisms of their GPU coverage, if you look at their recent reviews they include minimum framerate or framrate over time graphs for most games, and framerate variation graphs for some as well. I'm also not sure of the value of testing Crysis 3 beyond Medium quality at 4K, since you're basically just comparing how not-quite-playable it is on the two highest-end cards that would come the closest. I am a pretty big fan of Tech Report's GPU coverage for the nitty gritty of the kind of experience you can get though, the value of Anandtech's GPU articles is more about how the card actually works and performs rather than the experience in particular games.

Keep in mind also that AMD's APUs are usually pretty good values at launch, the problem comes when they don't evolve in time or when Intel aggressively improves the value of their products. AMD APUs were drat compelling in HTPCs before Intel introduced QuickSync to their Pentiums, and similarly prior to the Pentium Anniversary Edition you had to choose between a decent CPU or decent graphics, and AMD APUs gave you "good enough" for both. I think Anandtech's reviews of the FX series have been appropriately critical, only recommending them narrowly for heavily multi-threaded applications.

It seemed to me in the FX9590 review that they were trying to be as diplomatic as possible, and avoided bluntly saying this is a bad product, don't buy it. As for graphics cards, the fact that it isn't playable at max settings is an important piece of information. Like many of the people who would be reading a review of a 1500 dollar video card, I would never tolerate playing a game at less than max settings; so I want to know that the card can't do it.

I also really don't like their new method for testing cases.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Aug 31, 2014

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

--edit: ^^^ If you can forego a bunch of the options on the deluxe board and go with the X99-A instead and go for 16GB of RAM, you can get way cheaper for the basic Haswell-E. I'm currently at 748€ for a 5820K, 4x4GB of DDR4-2400 and that X99-A.

In regards to gaming, you could argue for the utility of a six core CPU via the necessity of game developers to get maximum performance out of the consoles, of which each allow access to six of their cores anyhow, by means of parallelism. While it's slightly naive, it's far from impossible. A good multithreaded game engine very likely might get more performance out of a lower clocked CPU with more cores eventually. Plus upcoming DirectX 12 will help with multithreading, too. (--edit: Of course, this is a gamble on whether the developer's going to maintain similar thread/job scheduling across all nextgen and PC platforms, or if there's going to restrictions to the PC builds and the assumption there's going to be four cores max.)

Then again, personally, I have other use cases for more than four cores. On top of gaming, there's also image and video editing, and virtualization.

You could also buy Asrock boards instead of paying more for Asus stuff with fewer features. Asrock X99 extreme 3 is $209; and there are a whole raft of asrock boards out at different price points above that.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Alereon posted:

Those cheap Asrock boards aren't any good, though. There are a few factors that go into whether a motherboard is good or not, not all of them are easy to measure or market, and features are the least important. Here's the basic order of importance of considerations for a motherboard:

1. Design, trace layout, and overall engineering
2. Component selection and quality
3. BIOS engineering and optimization
4. Features

Audio quality is the best, most easily measured example of #1. When you measure the audio output quality of a motherboard you're measuring how well the designer isolated the analog audio signals from the other traces and sources of interference on the board. Poor isolation causes audible hiss and noise in the background of audio that changes based on system activity, which can be very annoying. The audio section from the Asrock Z97 Extreme 6 upthread illustrates this well, all the boards with the same audio chip get similar dynamic range scores, but despite being a higher-end board the Asrock Z97 Extreme 6 has THD+N scores similar to mid-range mothebroards. Their less expensive boards would be further down that chart.

Even if you don't care about audio, those same factors apply to the signal traces you DO care about, particularly those between the RAM and the CPU. The quality of the signal between the RAM and CPU is the single greatest factor affecting system stability, and it's why RAM that works just fine may fail in a lower-quality board. It's hard to measure this directly, but memory overclocking results are a good indicator, and this is an area where Asus has excelled for a few generations.

Power delivery quality is a combination of the first and second factors. The number of VRM phases and the quality of the capacitors selected is a simple component choice issue, using thick enough traces to carry power from the top of the board to the PCI-Express slots is more layout and design. Cheap boards like that have extra power connectors near the PCI-Express slots so they can cheap out on those traces. Like all things this is a matter of degree, Gigabyte boards go so cheap you always have to have the extra power cable connected for stable operation, that may not be the case with only one or two cards on that Asrock board.

Some other component selection choices are things like the network adapter. Good boards use Intel, low-end boards use Realtek, garbage boards use KillerNIC chipsets. The audio chipset itself is pretty standard these days and doesn't make much difference.

BIOS quality comes down to three main factors, POST time, DPC latency, and power usage. POST time is how long it takes the system to start loading the operating system from the time you press the power button. Better motherboards initialize faster, though boards with more hardware take longer to initialize (though usually you can get this time back by disabling that hardware). DPC latency is how long (in microseconds) the system takes to respond to an interrupt, and depends on component selection, drivers, and BIOS optimizations. A board with poor DPC latency can feel noticeably laggy. Asrock has actually been pretty good compared to other brands on both POST time and DPC latency in recent generations, though these new boards remain to be tested. BIOS optimizations also play the biggest role in power consumption, though this isn't very relevant for desktop users.

Only now do we get to the features that manufacturers use to segment their products. There's some overlap here with component selection for things like VRM phases, as the number of phases is usually a selling feature for the board. Similarly, the presence of ports or controller chips is both a component and feature selection. I personally think the fan control that Asus offers on its boards is pretty drat compelling, and I like Asus's UEFI firmware, but these aren't really the actual reason to buy the boards. Then again Asrock does have a dehumidifier :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mQfFVT4tT8
(The theory is that the hot air in your case can hold more moisture than the cooler air outside, so if you shut your system down moisture could condense when the hot air cools. This runs the fans to blow the hot air out of the system before it cools. It can also run daily if your computer was turned off, to ventilate the system as the day cools down for the same reason. You decide whether this is crazy-talk!)

This is excellent information. Have there been any reviews of asrock boards compared to Asus boards that analyse these issues at that level? I ask more for 1150 boards than anything else, because we tend to steer people towards asrock in the parts picking thread because you tend to save money and get higher grade audio chips in asrock boards vs similar Asus boards and I'm wondering whether we should rethink that. I've never seen an asrock board requiring extra PCIe power connectors like gigabyte do though.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Police Automaton posted:

Not even mainly talking about the color, just some professional looking computer case that doesn't look like it's something that should stand in a kids bedroom. Outside of OEM this just doesn't seem to exist. In the end I found one (black and silver, white/beige was impossible) but it took me a ridiculous three days.

Does ASUS still use marketing speak like "military grade"?

What's unprofessional about a plain black or plain white rectangle? Fractal design, Nanoxia, corsair, and bitfenix all make perfectly professional cases that match that description.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Police Automaton posted:

I know that now too, it was just ridiculous how hard it was to find to begin with. Lots of these things still come dangerously close to looking like a DVD-Player/Stereo, bright LEDs are still a given (and if it's even an overtly bright blue Power LED) and the prices often are just ridiculous.

Nanoxia would suit you well then, if you ever need a new case. It avoids all the pitfalls you mention and is very reasonably priced.

I've said this before but if I ever win the lottery I'm going to pay a master furniture maker to build me a custom case out of luxury timbers and fine leather.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Sep 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

HalloKitty posted:

Well, that's the fugly version of the ML07. Unless there's someone that actually prefers the RVZ-01.

Hi there. Pleased to meet you.