Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So what are the symptoms of this problem, meaning when can you tell that things are starting to actually gently caress up, rather then there just being the possibility of a problem? Can you know for certain whether you have or have not experienced the issue yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Yeah, from what I gather, if you ONLY use the 6.0gps ports (there should be four of them at least) then you will never have to deal with any problems. So really, there should be no problem at all waiting for April, when you should just replace the MB out of principle.

If I am incorrect please correct me.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Feb 1, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Now that the dust has settled has it been determined if there is anything special I need to do for a straight p8p67 board replacement? For Win 7 64bit do I need to reinstall any drivers or do any configuring to get it to work or is it basically plug and play?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Ok, I finally finished my motherboard replacement and everything appears ship shape. When Windows first started it did a bunch of automatic driver installation and then seemed to successfully get everything to work.

However, I may have a couple issues. First, when I turn on my computer something odd happens. I will press the button, the fans will start up and the lights will turn on but then within a couple seconds the computer will shut off. Then automatically a couple seconds later it will turn back on and turn on like normal. What's up with that?

Second, according to my BIOS the CPU temperature is idling around 98 degrees. Is this normal? I did have to reapply the thermal paste and I may have done it like a blind retarded chimp. Some may have gotten on the green board part of the CPU and a dot went on the MB but I did my best to wipe it off.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Factory Factory posted:

Fahrenheit or centigrade?

Fahrenheit. If it was centigrade I assume my house would soon be on fire.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Cool, so it appears I didn't botch the thermal paste.

Other than that, any idea why the PC is having problems turning on? Or should I just put a thread in tech support?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I haven't done any overclocking, everything in the BIOS is just at factory default. I did the BIOS setup at first startup, let it do its thing, and that was it.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Is Haswell primarily concerning itself with lower power usage and quality integrated graphics or will there also be a significant speed/power improvement over Ivy Bridges?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Factory Factory posted:

Graphics and power will be the primary focus of the chip, and those will be where the craziest improvements come in. There will be about a 10% per-clock IPC improvement in general (a change greater than Ivy vs. Sandy, but smaller than Sandy vs. Nehalem), the chip includes AVX2 instructions and execution port changes that can potentially double peak FP throughput (plus fused multiply-add operations), increases the number of cryptography types to the hardware-enhanced decrypt unit, and the TSX instruction set will improve multithreading performance by reducing overhead needs caused by data synchronization.

As well, the GPU is getting some additional processing capability like 4K video and assisted encode/decode for motion JPEG (think webcam output), so more high-end stuff will be available at a lower power point (both in terms of oomph and in terms of watts).

So if you have a dedicate GPU will the upgrade really matter?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Factory Factory posted:

From what? Home use from Sandy or Ivy? No. But for many non-gaming, non-media consumption workloads and for mobile devices, it's a crazy good upgrade.

Yeah Im concerned with the gaming possibilities. Well I plan to build a new desktop PC this summer anyway so I'm sure there will be a good priced Haswell comparable to the 2500k from 2 years ago.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

unpronounceable posted:

How will this affect laptops? If I were updating my desktop, I'd probably be alright, as I never put it to sleep, but I put my laptop to sleep constantly.

I wasn't keeping up to date when there was the SATA(?) bug with the Sandy Bridge chipset; did the laptops get delayed because of the bug?

Yes they were.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Ughh, I don't want to wait for Broadwell to build a new PC so I'll probably just pick up a Haswell later this year. Broadwell will use the same socket as Haswell right?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Alereon posted:

You've got the enthusiast LGA-2011 and successor platform that remains exclusively socketed, high-end desktop models like the K-series and probably the i5/i7 5000-series will be available socketed, and it looks like everything else remains exclusively BGA.

So anyone who desires to build/upgrade a gaming PC is all set.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

spasticColon posted:

I'm still rocking a 2500K for gaming so do I upgrade to the Haswell refresh or wait for Broadwell?

This is literally me.

loving hell, I guess I'm not building a new PC until 2015. Dammit Intel. At least it gives Nvidia extra time with Maxwell I guess. Gonna pair up a i5-5500k with a gtx970 :getin:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Will the first Skylake CPUs include the desktop K units or are those probably going to come sometime next year? If that's the case and Broadwell is cancelled then what the gently caress?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

When are the Kaby Lake X chips scheduled to come out? Or are we still waiting on the Skylake X? It looks to me that the next enthusiastic level chips won't be out until Coffee Lake in 2018 and those will still be 14nm. I really don't want to wait that long to finally build a new PC but the 7700k isn't really impressing me. So when is the 7850k or whatever going to be out?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

What roadmaps we've seen have Skylake-X and Kaby Lake-X coming out at the same time. Skylake-X will have more cores, while Kaby Lake-X has really high clocks.

everything I'm reading says that the 6 cores aren't coming until Coffee Lake next year. Is one coming earlier?

And what are the estimated releases? This spring or later?

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Dec 6, 2016

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Thanks for the info. Man the Intel roadmaps are really confusing. And by the time Sky/Kaby lake X chips come out I'll be asking if I should wait a bit longer for Coffee Lake.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Dec 6, 2016

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

It's disappointing that the 7700k still doesn't seem like a worthwhile upgrade over my OC 2500k. I want to build a whole new PC already but I might as well continue to wait as SSDs continue to fall in price.

Are there any motherboards with more than one USB 3.1C port?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Well I'll be waiting long enough that I'm sure the prices will cycle back.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

crazypenguin posted:

My plan is 2nd half of 2018 to build a new machine to replace mine. (I don't even overclock the 2500k. My motherboard doesn't do overclocks without disabling lower power states for some dumb reason, and really, I don't play demanding enough games to care! Although, I'm going to pay attention more to the motherboard more when I do my next build... drat it.)

I'm hoping it'll be a sweet spot that year. I think things are internally bandwidth starved right now, and PCIe 4 might be out then. I think that extra bandwidth will make a difference for things like multiple USB-C ports that do 3.1gen2 or whatever bizarre versioning they come up with next. Maybe 10 Gbps NICs. SSDs are likely to get even faster, and need that bandwidth, too. In addition to all that, maybe 6 cores from Coffee Lake. Hopefully monitors that do 1440p at 144Hz with *Sync come down in price a bit, and the GPUs capable of driving them might be more affordable.

Crossing my fingers for a good couple of years here.

That all makes good sense but man, I really don't want to wait until 2018. But I feel that 2017 might just be an incremental year for everything and 2018 will be some hardware breakthroughs. But I'm sure we say that every year when looking toward the next.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Are you just waiting for prices to fall to just upgrade to a bigger SSD, or do you have none at all?

The former. I'd love a 1tb 960evo since it would cover everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Guess I'll wait until 2018 to get disappointed by Coffee Lake and begin the cycle anew.