Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

WhyteRyce posted:

Incorrect. The best cooler was the Glacier 4500C with the Arctic cap

I was so angry I bought this cooler for my 366 that wouldn't even boot at 550

edit - crap attached the wrong photo

Here is the correct one:

Haha I had a cooler similar to that on my 300A except it had three (3!) fans across the width of the slot. Worked great! I eventually traded that whole computer, case and all for a linksys wireless router. Doh!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
I agree that the plastic pin design of the heatsink is better than the old ones but I do still have problems with it. On at least 2 or 3 of the 4 CPU/Heatsinks that I've installed in the last few years I've found that one or more of the pins will not quite hit the hole in the motherboard dead on, it'll catch on the edge of the hole and then the plastic will deform slightly since the edge of the hole is quite sharp and the plastic is fairly soft, and then the pin that pushes down and spreads the little plastic nubs apart to hold it in place can slide out pre-maturely and prevent the mechanism from locking down properly. The last time I did it I was really careful to make sure all 4 of the clips were down into the holes on the motherboard before I pushed down on the locking buttons and it went much more smoothly.

Now I use a 3rd party heatsink with a back plate so the point is moot.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Why would I want this? Heard of it but haven't heard anything good or bad about it so haven't actually cared up until this post.

I just looked this up...

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GUID_Partition_Table

Seems like:
- Uses GUIDs to identify partition types - No collisions
- Provides a unique disk GUID and partition GUID for each partition - A good filesystem-independent way of referencing partitions and disks.
- Minimum of 128 partition table entries - No need for extended and logical partitions.
- Uses 64-bit LBA for storing Sector numbers - maximum addressable disk size is 2 ZiB.
- Stores a backup header and partition table at the end of the disk that aids in recovery if the main copy is clobbered.
- CRC32 checksums to detect errors and corruption of the partition table.

The last two seem really nice in particular.