Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
My I7 4790k is getting up to 90*C under load running at stock speeds @ 1.25V (voltage set to auto) when it hits 4400 mhz. I am using arctic silver and I used a peasize amount in the middle of the processor so I think the thermal paste coverage is pretty good. Does this processor just run this hot or should look into undervolting or getting an aftermarket cooler?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

EdEddnEddy posted:

The pea size is ok and I am not a fan of manually spreading it, but what cooler/fan do you have? That is hot for stock under full load but if you have a crappy cooler, mismounted it in some way (not the pushpin style is it? If so make sure everything is pushed in snug and tight), or the fan setting is way to low.

I use the stock cooler/heatsink. Everything is pushed in snug and tight. I replaced the paste just recently because I upgraded my motherboard to use with a NZXT s340. I will check the fan setting.

If I get the CM 212 evo will it be louder than the stock fan? Ive used a zalman cpu cooler in the past and while the temps were lowered. It was annoyingly loud.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
Thanks I will look into getting an evo. Coolermaster psu calculator says that my i7 4790k, z97 pc mate, 16 gb ddr3, one ssd, one 5200 rpm, 390x consumes 430 Watts with a recommended suggestion of 480 watts. My power supply is a Seasonic 550w g series w/ +12V@45A.

I am planning to undervolt my 390x to save a few watts. Think Ill be alright adding an evo?

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
I am just playing Doom for 30 minutes and the temperature shoots up to 90*C.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
Should I save $10 and grab a refurb 212 for $20? The fan is the only moving part and a heatsink is a headsink.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
Are there any z370 boards that I can buy that don't require a bios update to work with a 9700k? I want to save money since the 370 boards are cheaper and there doesn't seem to be all lot of difference to a 390.

Or should I just bite the bullet and get a z390 to avoid potential compatibility and performance issues all together?

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
Do intel boards usually go on sale during black friday?

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
I am trying to decide between buying the Asrock Z390 Extreme 4, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi or MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC (god drat terrible name). The latter two have WIFI while the Extreme 4 does not. I feel that Gigabyte Aorus Pro Wifi has the best feature set but I am concerned by the bios issues. Is the board a big improvement over the Z370?

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
I am going to be getting a 9700k real soon. I could use the i3-8100 I am currently using to flash a z370 bios.

I could sacrifice wifi if it means I am going to be getting a better quality board. I am moving real soon and Id imagine my computer will sit next to the router.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
The build quality on this Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Pro I just installed is amazing. I spent a lot of time feeling up and smelling the board. Its just that good no wonder its been stated as best value.

The Bios isnt really all bad? Have to wait on the 9700k still to put the 12+1 vrm to test.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
Seriously about to do it to pics of my build 🤫 dont tell my gf

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

TheFluff posted:

It's not bad really, they give you all the knobs and dials, it's just got wonky UI elements (select the numeric setting you want from this list of 2000 numbers in increments of 0.01) and a really confusing menu layout. At least if you're coming from ASUS - which, granted, is far from perfect, but they're far better than Gigabyte at putting the options in a mostly logical menu system and briefly explaining what they do and what the defaults are.

Gigabyte did out out a z390 overclocking manual so that definitely helps out a bunch. I highly recommend that for anyone being confused with the wonkiness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

TheFluff posted:

If that's the same as it was at Z390 launch, it's not something you want to follow for a daily overclock. It's okay if what you're doing is trying to squeeze out every last point of a benchmark score in a one-off record attempt, but I think that's not what most people want. For a daily overclock you should use adaptive mode for your vcore voltage (allowing the CPU to use a lower voltage when it's at light or no load), you should not disable power management features such as speedshift/speedstep and C-states, and you should definitely not raise Tjmax from the default setting.

For running all cores at 5 GHz on a 9700K, enabling XMP and setting the LLC to some medium setting should be a good starting point. You might not need to muck around with manual voltages at all. Using an AVX offset (making the CPU clock down slightly under AVX loads) is probably a good idea too. For further details :justpost: in the overclocking thread.

Whats wrong with running the same voltage and lets say a reasonable 4.8 ghz on all cores all the same time given the vcore (maybe 1.30 like the guide suggests) and thermals are within normal ranges? Does it degrade the cpu? The z390 Aorus has the supposedly has the best midrange vrm for boards under $200 and I assume it should be able to handle a reasonable overclock.