Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
So, upgrade question:
I've currently got an i3-2100, I can get an i5-2500t rather cheap. would I see a noticeable improvement in doing a drop-in replacement, or should I bank the cash to hasten a full board & chip swap further down the line?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Non-serrated hemostats might be what you need.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Khorne posted:

If you mean on benchmarks, check user submitted benchmarks or any aggregate site. The numbers are roughly, 3770k just flat out beats 1700 stock/oc, it's even with 1700x stock and has a ~6% edge oc, it gets beat by 1800x stock, has ~2% edge oc, and obviously at that slim of a margin it gets smashed on anything that leverages the extra cores. Right, and quad core the 1700x and 1800x both outperform the 3770k slightly if I remember right.
u wot m8?

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
We're well past page 64 :shepface:

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
I'm confused.

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-SpeculationControlSettings
Speculation control settings for CVE-2017-5715 [branch target injection]
Hardware support for branch target injection mitigation is present: False
Windows OS support for branch target injection mitigation is present: True
Windows OS support for branch target injection mitigation is enabled: False
Windows OS support for branch target injection mitigation is disabled by system policy: False
Windows OS support for branch target injection mitigation is disabled by absence of hardware support: True

This thing's an i5-7200u, so shouldn't it have INVPCID for this stuff to switch on, or does HP have to give a blessing first?

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Paul MaudDib posted:

I mean, the truth is that in 6 months nobody will care about this patch. Fixups happen, as long as there is actually a fixup it's fine. 0-5% performance impact is nothing at all as these things go. If there was a fixup for the Ryzen segfault bug with 5% impact I wouldn't care, the problem is there isn't.

https://twitter.com/FioraAeterna/status/948473516029968384

(AMD is unlikely to make it out of this unscathed either, even given their existing spectre bug)

I guess EVE is going to have to spend 0.1% more of their budget on their read-only API, though. Good thing the average EVE player has what, 6 accounts at $19 per month? And the rate limit is 60 minutes? Sure sounds IO-intensive to me!

Eve's infrastructure is turbo-hosed anyhow. Unless they've done something major since I played, everything's single-threaded on nodes.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Release dates are out for HP BIOS updates.
Mid-february :emo:

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

sauer kraut posted:

Many old, old school 32bit installers still had a tiny 16bit portion that displayed a custom error window when you tried to install a 32bit app on Win 3.x
That little portion will make them hang up on modern systems.
Oh god I just remembered win32s, please make the pain go away :smith:

Forgotten about NT 3.51 already? :ghost:

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Laslow posted:

Thanks for going over that for me. I was just wondering why people were making a big deal about PCIE 4.0 on other boards.

I will look in to a ridiculous RAID0 nvme setup when I upgrade to a Zen 2 Threadripper or whatever Intel’s got if they finally play ball on price in the workstation segment, if only for the novelty of BIG HUEG NUMBERS on CrystalDiskMark since it should be cheap enough now that SSD prices are hitting bedrock.

Yeah, about that.
There's stuff in the news about manufacturers slowing production.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Question: do modern CPUs still have a full set of all the instructions for 8/16-bit software?

I'm sure I remember a long time ago there being something about only being able to use the next group down, so 64/32, 32/(16+8).

Virtualbox will happily boot a 8-bit DOS 6.22 instance on top of 64-bit Win10.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Just remember, the thermals of MacBooks are notorious. Doubly so if you’re comparing to a box with proper fans.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

CFox posted:

There won’t be a switchover in 2-3 years but there will be a strong push on the windows side. Microsoft would absolutely love to ditch all the legacy cruft that’s slowing them down and OEMs would love to buy cheaper and simpler SOCs and lower their costs. I think apple is going to come out strong with good performance and excellent battery life and just make their offerings straight up better than things on the windows side, as long as you’re not trying to game on them or need some software that Mac doesn’t have.

People are already just-about making it work already on the surface pro X that’s ARM with a compat later. Windows HAL’s a thing.

https://youtu.be/BceSt_Mx8Hk

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Cygni posted:

My local microcenter has cut $50 off the price of a 10850k, now $399. For 10/20 and 5.2ghz clocks.

Even if it is objectively inferior to Zen 3 in a lot of ways, that is a spicy price for a CPU thats the fastest available in half of games.

How does it compare to zen3 price-wise once you have to strap a threadripper cooler on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
The real issue running old stuff on a modern OS is that some stuff that was 16bit (file handles?) is now 32 bit and actually uses all the space, so it can’t just be truncated back down to 16bit.

You can bodge stuff in there to make it work, but it’s pretty fiddly at best.