Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
So if I don't intend to use the integrated graphics at all (and I'm using a P67/other board with no video), that part of the chip will be doing nothing?

What the heck? That seems really stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
How much information is there about Mini ITX motherboard offerings?

Edit: I mean, I've found various reviews on Google, but the people on this board are really good at filtering out hype and nonsense.

zachol fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jan 8, 2011

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Hmm. The Asus Mini ITX from that family is apparently is a "P8H67." Shoot.
Depending on what Z68 turns out to be I might just need to move to mATX.

Edit: Although I don't know why I'm surprised. I'm probably one out of only a dozen people in the market for a Mini ITX with no onboard graphics.

zachol fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jan 8, 2011

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

frumpsnake posted:

The Silverstone SG07's a pretty popular case for ITX gaming.

Exactly. I've been shopping around for a couple of months now.
Stick in an i5 and a 460 or a 6850, and you've got a reasonable gaming box.
There's actually some very nice airflow in the SG07, and several people have been able to mod it slightly to stick a watercooler in there, with some very impressive results.

I'm not actually looking to overclock it myself, I figure I'll have enough trouble getting everything to work together at stock, but having the option available would've been nice.
If I am limited to H67, am I right in thinking there's no reason to get a K-series chip?
I only care about the one PCIe slot, so the issue with lanes isn't a big deal.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Argh where are the good itx boards.
Where are they.
Stupid stock Intel 65w mobo. Stupid ECS mobo that somehow sold out in an hour in the wee hours Sunday morning.

I was about to say "screw it" and start the search for a nice mATX case, but now I heard rumors about Gigabyte intending to release a P67 itx board sometime.
Which sounds extremely unlikely but even a slight possibility of that is enough to make me completely indecisive. Would be nice to have an idea of when.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

So can this damage the hard disk itself?
Should I open my computer up right now and switch it to an unaffected 6 Gps port, or can I just wait a while, until either there's a recall or I start seeing weird stuff?

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

My i5-2500k with no overclocking and stock cooling seems to vary between 40 degrees C during normal use and up to 70 degrees C when playing games.
Should I be worried? My case has pretty bad airflow, but even sticking a desk fan right up against the mesh of the case at the processor doesn't really cool it off much (maybe 2 or 3 degrees).
I've done some googling, but I'm getting conflicting information. Apparently 70 degrees isn't "overheating" (80 degrees would be worrisome), but people are also reporting significantly lower "idle" temperatures.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Not sure how to get ambient temp. "CPUID Hardware Monitor" gives some really weird readings for my motherboard temperatures. "Systin" seems to be holding steady at 35 degrees. "Cputin" and "auxtin" both constantly switch from 0 to 64. Apparently my CPU fan is going at 200 RPM.
My case is a Sugo SG02 which has really quite bad airflow. There's three holes for case fans, but one just blows across the hard drives and then out the other half of the case (not near the motherboard) and the other two are right over the graphics card, which along with the PSU blocks any of that air from going to the CPU. There's no real inflow for the motherboard/CPU, and the PSU serves as an exhaust.
This was the first time I'd installed a cooler like this. It seemed like I did it correctly - nothing wobbles, and it's very tight.

I was assuming I'd put some aftermarket cooler in sometime "whenever," after figuring out exactly what the size limitations were. I'm mainly wondering how urgent this is.

zachol fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 7, 2011

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Ah, for some reason I thought he meant the ambient temp inside the case.
Probably somewhere around 20 C, under 70 F.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Phalex posted:

Does anyone have any insight as to how Newegg will handle replacements? Will you have to send in your motherboard before they ship out the new one? Or will they ship you the new one first so you can ship the old one in the new box?

I got the notification email from them saying that they will be available based on when you ordered the original board. I can't be without a working computer for any amount of time for at least the next month, but I also don't want to wait until they start selling them again because they will probably be sold out for a while.

I got an email that essentially said "pick one option: A. you send it to us, then we send you the new one, B. we put a hold on your card (not a charge that will get refunded), send you the new board, you send the old one out, or C. you can opt out for whatever reason."

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

I replaced my Asus with no problems. Reapplying the grease was a pain but otherwise smooth.
Oh, and Windows and Word wanted me to reactivate but no problems there either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

I had similar thoughts about just keeping the board, but I decided it was one of those things were it would really end up biting me in the rear end later on.

Also Newegg offers advanced RMAs so literally the only downside was taking the time to replace it.
Except I guess I'll have to pay for postage. Huh.
Eh whatever.