Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Speaking of coolers, does anyone have (and want to sell) the Intel mounting hardware from a corsair a70? I know it's a long shot but mine got thrown out years ago and I have use for it now. I'd be happy to pay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Can anyone confirm that the Haswell refresh processors and specifically the i7 4790k are capable of idling at vcores of 0.16v? I've been doing some fine tuning of an overclock with c-state/speedstep stuff and was surprised to notice it so low. It's been stable and everything but I want to make sure I'm looking at the correct label and not the wrong voltage.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

sout posted:

I've always had a twin CPU cooler on my PC, I think this one

I'm not necessarily looking to change it, but typically I've seen most other coolers be much smaller and generally they only have one fan. Is there a real reason to have a twin fan cooler?

Yes; more cooling. It's not twice as much but it's more.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Talking about pressure optimized airflows, is there a reason why CPU fans don't have stators? Well, there's that single fan model from Noctua that has some, but that's about it.

I'm no expert but maybe the tolerances would have to be a lot tighter to make use of that. I feel like if you used staters the back pressure caused would just limit airflow too much.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Ak Gara posted:

There doesn't seem to be a water cooling thread so I'll ask here. My 5ghz 2500k is quite loud using an H100 so I was looking into putting together a custom loop (+ SLI 680's.)

I've read that sometimes adding a second radiator to your loop only drops the temps by a few degrees due to already being at the thermal capacity limit of the water block itself. Is that correct?

In some situations yes but with two video cards and a CPU in the loop you really want two radiators AFAIK.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Going to upgrade my home server/NAS CPU to improve Plex transcoding performance. I specifically am going to upgrade to an Intel chip to take advantage of the Plex hardware transcoding + quick sync video offered by Intel. This server won't have a GPU, so whatever processor I end up with needs an iGPU. Transcoding video is the only demand that is realistically placed on the system.

I'm doing some research and it feels like there's a ton of options. I was expecting to land on some kind of 12th gen i5 or even i3, but I'm curious what the collective mind thinks is a good option. What would you put in? I'm running win10, does 12th gen even make sense to use without win11 for the e-cores? Is the UHD 770 iGPU significantly better than the 730 on the lower end chips?

Budget is around $300CAD ($220 USD). Thanks goons.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Klyith posted:

If all you care about on the GPU is the video de/encode, there's no difference.

Thanks. I actually ended up finding an i5-11600k for $150 off, ended up being $199 so I just jumped on that and I think it'll be plenty.