Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Bandit
Mar 6, 2010

Powercrazy posted:

The computer I have is a pretty old E6600 that I built right when C2D came out. I put about 300 more dollars into it since then, and I could probably keep this computer for the next 3 years without any problems.
I'm in the same boat - I bought a E6750 three years ago, now overclocked to 3.2GHz, and replaced my old Nvidia card with a 4890 about 18 months ago. I don't do anything that really benefits from four or six cores and games still run great, so there's no need to upgrade. This build will last at least another 12-18 months.

As someone said above, the mind blowing days of going from a P60 to P266 seem to be over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Bandit
Mar 6, 2010

movax posted:

On topic, I can't wait, an i7-2500 is in my future. My E6600 is choking miserably on CoD Black Ops, and I'm beginning to think it was my E6600 bottlenecking a ton of games, not a 8800GTS. (Just bought a GTX460, and I think the E6600 is bottlenecking it...)
It was definitely the 8800GTS. I have an E6750 and it runs everything pretty well with a 4890 (except Blops, but that's because it's a poorly optimised piece of poo poo) - I had a GTS 320MB before and games released two years ago were starting to struggle.

El Bandit
Mar 6, 2010
It looks like the 2500K will be priced at £170 and the 2600K at £250 (basically $120). Looking at the reviews, it seems the 2600 doesn't perform noticeably better than the 2500 in games. Does anything make it worth the extra money?

El Bandit
Mar 6, 2010

Agreed posted:

Also, PLL Overvolting: Bad thing?...I can't sleep the PC (thanks Asus)
I had this problem and disabling PLL overvolting fixed it. It may limit overclocking (I've no idea), but it's worth it for the convenience.