Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

GokieKS posted:

E: Micro Center already has the 5820K for $299.

That actually makes me wonder something I've thought about in the past. That price puts it roughly in the ballpark of the 4790K, so realistically what does a Haswell-E 5820k system with it's DDR4 and more PCI lanes give someone an advantage with over them going with the 'traditional' system? What is the job it's performing better? I'm a meat and potatoes computer user, I watch tv and play video games on the thing, it's clearly not designed toward me. I get that. But what is it designed towards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
The new motherboards have some neat features on them, and the differences on CPU performance are like low single figures of a percent so.....I still can't make myself care about CPU performance. I'll probably snag Skylake in a few months when Windows 10 has had some stress testing by the masses to iron out some of the no doubt major kinks, just to pick up some USB C and the like. I honestly can't imagine a new CPU lighting my world on fire for the next few years, they are rapidly pushing the limits of the material and need to ramp up something new. And considering how tied PC gaming is to console gaming by and large, I sincerely doubt anything is going to be pushing the limits of what we have on the CPU side anytime soon.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
I suppose it depends on what you mean by 'littered'. Even most of the itx boards I've seen have a couple [Generally an A and a C], and the most I've seen is 6 3.1 slots on the ASUS Deluxe board. The majority of them have them except for the extreme budget options. That's a pretty good way to push adoption.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
If they could fire the things off like hotcakes but were going "Naaah, not worth the effort" I could see it, but it's reasonably likely they simply can't make them fast enough to be worth an entire line.