Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

The Lynx Point chipsets for Haswell will have six native SATA 3.0 ports. Non-native ports have generally turned out to be sub-par.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

As far as I have heard a few years ago, ASRock is a brand of Pegatron (the Peg in Pegasus) which was the OEM part of Asus, and still builds a certain percentage of Asus branded boards, the other Asus boards being produced by FIC.
So you could say buying ASRock gets you the original Asus quality. :v:

E: Scratch that, a quick Google confirmed that Pegatron is no longer an ODM for Asus. They seem to be completely independent since the third quarter of 2012.

Grim Up North fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jan 25, 2013

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

evilweasel posted:

What's the advantage to overclocking? Just undoing the Ivy Bridge issues?

Apparently Intel will enable changing DMICLK/BCLK ratios.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20120919160307_Intel_Haswell_Processors_to_Further_Improve_Overclocking.html

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Alereon posted:

Additionally moving the VRMs on-chip may improve overclocking, since it will provide cleaner power with faster response times, and there will be less variability due to motherboard VRM quality.

Wait what, how will overclocking boards differentiate themselves (from regular Z87 boards) now?

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

OldPueblo posted:

Someone push a magic button that makes the haswell core i3's launch, I have four family computers that need upgrades. (when do they launch?)

Here's a Chinese website with a slide telling us they will launch "1 September 12:01 AM".

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

The Lord Bude posted:

So we're only seeing new overclocking chipsets for the time being right? there isn't a replacement for B85/H87 in the immediate future?

The H97 boards are already out there? Haswell Refresh goes with H or Z 97.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

I remember buying such a board a decade ago when making the switch from DDR to DDR2 at the same time when the AGP to PCIe transition was ongoing. I don't think it was especially expensive.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Why do we still have the big DIMMs for desktops, anyway? Are there any technical advantages, or is it just inertia?

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Tab8715 posted:

If anything, I cannot believe the mileage I'm getting out of my 2500k. A whole new rebuild isn't worth it for > 10%. The only new thing I'm going to miss is NVMe which is still in it's infancy.

This reminds me of this image from an Intel slide:

So if you've got a Sandy Bridge you might expect a 33% IPC improvement when updating to Skylake. :v:

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Toast Museum posted:

Overhead projector sheets are sometimes called viewfoils or foils. It was used in that Intel document in place of slide.

Yep, and the author has a German name and in Germany these virtual-things-to-project are commonly called "Folien".

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

BobHoward posted:

Please go back and reread what I said about how changes in the parasitic inductance of pins can cause gains or losses in realizable clock frequency at a given TDP rating.

What I'm not getting is: Where is the difference between a PGA and a LGA socketed CPU wrt to conductor length and resulting inductance? I mean the pins are there in both cases, or does the decreased inductance result from something else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Kazinsal posted:

Dang, dude. That's double the CPU PassMark score. You're gonna have a good time.

I remember the time when the recommendation was to always wait for a CPU with double the performance of your old one before upgrading ...
I guess it's nice you can now keep your system for six years.