Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
As far as I know, you want to stay under 1.3V if you want to run a 24/7 stable overclock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Ignoarints posted:

I didn't realize the first refresh processors were coming in like 2 weeks. I just noticed, reportedly anyway, the 4670 replacement actually loses a 100 mhz :confused:?

Are you sure you're not looking at the 4590, which replaces the 4570?

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Interesting that it overclocks so poorly, at least on non-Refresh chips. I wonder if that's just this board in particular, or if that's going to a Z97 problem in general.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
You could try using it's XMP settings, but a quick google search tells me that it'd use 1.7V at those settings(1600 C9). You could try loosening some of the timings and see if it'll stabilize at 1.5V, if you're so inclined.

Also at the risk of getting yelled at, I'd argue that while upgrading your RAM from 1333 is definitely is something you should look into doing eventually, it's hardly a critical flaw in your machine, especially since you have a dGPU.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Despite itself, DC almost seems to be an argument against overclocking more than anything.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Don Lapre posted:

Am I correct there is basically no reason to go from a 4.3ghz 3570k to a 4790k for gaming.

I'd just get a 3770K if I were you, as the main difference will be going from an i5 to an i7, unless you really want to pay for a Z97 board. Either way it's going to be a very marginal difference in most games, and you could probably do better with $400+ IMO.

Hace fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jun 16, 2014

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Alereon posted:

For gaming it performs on-par with a Core i7 when overclocked

Does it though? Looking at this, it seems to perform like a slightly worse i3, and with extra frame time variance.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Twerk from Home posted:

What I saw in this is that there are negligible framerate differences in most games between an i5, i3, and overclocked Pentium, and they are all far ahead of the AMD CPU. Those framerates are high enough that your GPU will normally be your bottleneck, which is exactly the right amount of CPU for most people.

Most games are really poorly threaded, and until that changes I will heartily recommend dual-cores to people looking to save money on a gaming build. Did you see how the Pentium did on a task that didn't scale to 4 threads?

Are you ignoring the Grid 2 and Metro: Last Light results, both of which are games that were released last year? Even in the Thief benchmark, it still suffered from stuttering despite it's impressive framerate. And while it did very well in the BF4 test, I have to wonder if it'd hold up just as well in multiplayer. I'd also be very interested to see how well performs in Watch Dogs, as most dual core CPUs seem to loving tank when introduced to that.

I'm not saying that it doesn't currently perform well, especially at $75, but it seems extremely shortsighted to invest in a dual core CPU (that can only handle 2 threads) at this point.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Alereon posted:

and in Metro: Last Light it beats the i3 by an even larger margin where performance is more critical.

???

Also while it's very nice that the chip itself only costs $75, the extra premium on Z97 motherboards kinda kills those savings, especially when you can just pair an i3 4130 with a B85 motherboard, have identical/better performance in most games, and still remain somewhat more ~futureproof~ for upcoming titles that will increasingly more dependent on multi-threaded loads.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

KillHour posted:

Buy a steak and beer. Any card that draws only 50 watts isn't going to improve your performance at all, and the beefy cards just aren't worth it for how few games really use PhysX. You're better off putting that money into getting a more powerful primary card.

For what it's worth, the 750 is able to handle PhysX pretty well on it's own.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

1gnoirents posted:

I might have bad ram, bad motherboard, or a bad memory controller and after some soul searching I may part out some of my good stuff for a bit of capital for something else. However this is leading me to plan for the future a bit. I assumed broadwell would be delayed until maybe even next summer just from what I gathered in passing here. But after looking into it briefly it seems a lot of sources say this year. I know how sources go though. What is the broadwell delay info based on though ?

Rumors are rumors, but the last thing I remember reading is that while mobile Broadwell is expected to hit late this year, desktop Broadwell still isn't expected until next summer.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Tacier posted:

The IT guy in my office insists AMD is the best for price/performance (he says intel motherboards cost way more or something) and recommends them to everyone and recently replaced all our 3.4Ghz Phenom II X4 965 machines with 3.1Ghz Bulldozer FX-8120s (is that even an upgrade??). We do some fairly computationally intensive stuff (Geographic Information Systems) that is almost all single threaded.

I know the prevailing opinion on these boards is that Intel is a better value, but is there an unambiguous, easily comprehensible set of benchmarks or price/performance comparison between Intel and AMD that I can reference when I end up arguing with him about this?

Wait, he loving bought Zambezi? Not even Vishera?

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

cisco privilege posted:

A G3258 would be fine for desktop use. If you're trying to impress her, save the difference from the i3 and put it into a SSD.

Wouldn't an i3 still be better for general multitasking and the like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Grim Up North posted:

Why do we still have the big DIMMs for desktops, anyway? Are there any technical advantages, or is it just inertia?

Uh for blinking LEDs, duh