Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I'm a pretty decent fan of the (lovely, limited) BIOS that laptops ship with. It's all very no frills and relevant, even if the actual options to make changes are limited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

SpelledBackwards posted:

Like a previous poster, I find myself in a similar boat where I have money burning a hole in my pocket, and my CPU/RAM/motherboard are a Nehalem/Bloomfield i7 930 getup from 2010. I really want to wait until Skylake instead of plunking down the cash now, but either way I don't think I'm really CPU-limited on anything that I run, and aside from some messed up USB port behavior on my current system, things seem to work ok. I don't really game too much anymore, which is the only demanding application I use my system for; I switched to an SSD in 2011 (upgraded once more since then) and recently changed from a GeForce 460 to a 960... so my needs are basically covered.

Why do I still feel compelled to upgrade soon?

But you can only get 128 GB if you can prove you're sufficiently hardcore. :downs: :getin:

But will it run Crysis?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

DrDork posted:

Ironically, looking at prices and whatnot made me notice that my local Fry's has a i5-4690K & MSI Z97-G45 for $300, which might almost sorta tempt me to finally upgrade from my 2500k...

That board has Killer ethernet, which causes bluescreens. Don't buy it.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Berious posted:

I'm really agonizing over upgrading my CPU. Have a MSI MS-7756 h97 Mobo with an i5-3570 (no K) CPU..

6600K looks sweet but that will mean new RAM and DDR4 is expensive. I've been mulling over an i5-4690K and a z97 Mobo but I'm not sure if that would be a foolish deadend upgrade.

If I'm replacing the mobo anyway do I just need to bite the bullet and get the 6600K?

I'm not really sure why you'd want to upgrade in the first place, it's not going to be a huge performance increase.

I mean it'll be better than what you have, but not by much. I'd only consider upgrading if you wanted to switch case sizes.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

This is a very interesting scenario, but it's also worth noting that a thousand DVDs plus a few dozen blu-rays can fit in a single RAID 1 pair of 8TB drives.

I think this is a perfect encapsulation of this website.

I don't think many people are going to want to rip thousands of DVDs and a few blu-rays when a $20 DVD player or $120 blu ray player would work far better.

Paul MaudDib posted:

I actually had my eye on the Kaby Lake BRIX units but they're not on the market yet.

I've thought about it pretty seriously but this is for a cabin without internet and my parents have a huge library of optical media (probably around a thousand DVDs of stuff they've recorded off the air and compressed to DIVX, plus a few dozen BluRays too) so I can't give up on optical media. Right now they have a 5.25" drive in a CM Elite 120, I'd have to at least toss it into an enclosure. It's some space savings but not huge if I still have to have a drive sitting around.

if you just care about playing DVDs and Blu Rays and don't need anything else, consider getting a cheap playstation 3. Cheapest, and lord knows the simplest, option.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

redeyes posted:

This is the worst. My instincts are to throw my loving 7700k in the trash and buy something else. BUT THERE IS NOTHING TO BUY
Worst ever.

This seems a little hyperbolic to me, givet the that gaming and office productivity tasks are only very minorly affected, barely within the margin of error at all.

Like I have no bones in this race, I don't work for intel, I don't care about whose hardware is better. But I find it hard to get too mad about a bug that nobody found for 25 years that costs a small amount of performance. Like, really? That's nobody's fault, you can't assign blame to anyone in particular.

Unless you're an enterprise. Then you get your lawyers salivating.

E: I'm being genuine here. I get being upset that it sucks, because it does! But I find it really weird to assign blame for a just discovered 25 year old bug.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 13, 2018

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Hasn't shown up in WSUS or SCCM yet, and lol I'm not manually installing a patch on all our workstations.

Worth keeping an eye out for though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

An i5 4690 is still a pretty good CPU. Especially if you overclock it for some free performance. You'll be gaining sub-15% performance increases, if that. Up to you if that's worth the money or not.