Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I'm now putting together a new machine, because either my motherboard, or the i7 930 @ 4.2 that lives in it has finally given up the ghost. Lots of random crashes, even after I took the overclock out. :(

Nehalem was loving BEASTMODE though.

I was hoping to hold out for Skylake, but it simply wasn't to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MrYenko posted:

I'm now putting together a new machine, because either my motherboard, or the i7 930 @ 4.2 that lives in it has finally given up the ghost. Lots of random crashes, even after I took the overclock out. :(

Nehalem was loving BEASTMODE though.

I was hoping to hold out for Skylake, but it simply wasn't to be.

My Nehalem chip LIVES. LONG LIVE OLD poo poo. :black101:

It ended up being a bad (read: cheap OCZ) SSD causing weird-rear end crashes. New Samsung drive, and I'ts running like new.

Twerk from Home posted:

What kind of voltage? That's an absolutely monster overclock, and if you were running high voltages to support it I'd absolutely expect the chip to not be in the best of shape 4 years later.

1.3875v Vcore. I don't really remember most of the settings. I got it stable, and just used the thing. For years.

It would run really, really loving hot (~97°C at full load, and I've spiked it even higher a handful of times, on accident,) even with an Evo212. I've abused the gently caress out of this chip, and it still won't die. I think I'm going to dial it back a bit until Skylake comes out, though.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

I just hope my Nehalem lives long enough that I can upgrade to Skylake without having to pick up another motherboard or proc before then. I think I'll end up with a faster proc with something like a 50 or 70% IPC improvement, which should be really handy.

I'm nursing mine along, as well. Starting to get impatient for Skylake.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

necrobobsledder posted:

I literally work at home running all of the above things and I have no real need to upgrade my E3-1230 (i7-2600k equivalent - somewhat faster actually for work). That E3-1230 line has held to performance numbers roughly all within 20%-ish from Sandy Bridge until now with most of the efforts going towards reducing power consumption. While Skylake is one of the more ambitious architectural changes (moreso than Haswell was to Sandy Bridge) I still don't think another 10% more performance would be that big of a deal either.

For me, moving from Nehalem to Skylake isn't even about performance, its just to get out of my ancient X58 chipset motherboard, and even that isn't because of speed concerns, but because the thing is flat out old. Dead USB ports, it hasn't had a functioning onboard network interface in years, and I really feel like it's the weak point of my machine, currently.

Also; I like new stuff. :v:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

As an aside, can anyone identify the person responsible for USB having a rectangular form factor, that you can almost, but not quite plug in upside down, when you're feeling around the back of a case with limited access?

I have a... List. A list I need to put them on.