Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Apple is looking long and hard at moving to Arm on their laptops for the power/weight benefits. The iOS-ification of OSX and channeling software through their app store is going to enable them to force 3rd party devs to re-write (assuming its needed) and compile for both Arm and x86 platforms in a laptop form factor without having to do the messy transition period for the user like what happened with Rosetta and the move to Intel. Intel knows this, and they're scared shitless at the prospect. I have a feeling if the transition does happen that the iMac and Mac Pro lines will stay on x86 for a lot longer than the mobile stuff.

I dont buy this at all. There is really no benefit of apple moving OSX to ARM. Apple would rather them buy ipads if they want something ultra lightweight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Sounds more to me like they want to move into the space the amd Hudson stuff is occupying but keep their existing setup for system builders.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Nearest microcenter is 3 hours away :(

http://www.microcenter.com/product/434210/G3258_32_GHz_LGA1150_Boxed_Processor_-_PREORDER

http://www.microcenter.com/product/434212/Core_i5-4690K_35GHz_LGA_1155_Boxed_Processor_-__PREORDER

http://www.microcenter.com/product/434211/Core_i7-4790K_36GHz_LGA_1150_Boxed_Processor_-__PREORDER

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Ika posted:

devil's canyon looks really tempting, I have a sandy bridge which is fine 95% of the time but with broadwell pushed back a year and presumably not going to be much faster, might not be worth waiting.

Its too bad Intel is out of the board business for good, I used to just grab one of their boards because they were always rock stable.

Foxconn has been doing everything including engineering for a while now. It just says Intel on the box.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Now that devils butthole is showing up on amazon, newegg, and TD im getting so tempted. I should really just hold onto my 3570k and wait for Broadwell/ddr4

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Toms and hardocp both seem to be hitting walls around 4.7 on devils canyon. So much for 5.5ghz air.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Shaocaholica posted:

Thats without delidding right? I'm stuck on haswell at 4.4 delidded and water. I really really want to do 5ghz delidded. Thats all I want. A nice round number like five point oh.

Yep.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Or they just havn't tried yet. They probably just got these samples in a few days ago.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Shaocaholica posted:

Is the Xeon iGPU just turned off or actually absent?

Probably turned off but it might as well be absent.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Does intel have plans on releasing 6 or 8 core cpu's on a consumer platform (meaning, not 2011 or whatever replaces it).

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

HERAK posted:

So when will we actually get our hands on these? Or at least reviews of the i5-4690k. I'm wanting to build something to replace my i5-750.

June 20th appears to be the release date.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Am I correct there is basically no reason to go from a 4.3ghz 3570k to a 4790k for gaming.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Ignoarints posted:

I don't think I could say "no reason" if I can assume the 3570k in this case won't be getting higher than that, but also assuming the 4790k gets to ~4.8. I would say more like little reason, or a very cost inefficient reason. It's not like there isn't a difference between 500 mhz, +5-10% clock for clock speeds, and even a tiny bump due to hyper-threading for games. But then I'd probably argue that simply overclocking the 3570k further would diminish that since it is already well on its way.

This is coming from the guy who was considering dumping a 4670k at 4.5 ghz for a 4790k if I could reasonably hope to hit 5 ghz. So in all honesty if I were in your shoes, I probably would do it, but I fully understand that's its not the best use of money in any way.

So what's the chance these will ship on June 20 like amazon says. Bank of america has 10% back on tiger direct.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

So this happened

http://www.overclock.net/t/1496007/3570k-ht-unlocked-4c-8t

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Really hoping amazon's june 20 release date is accurate.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Its happening

http://www.hardwareversand.de/en/So...066acd278b9e861

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Got my z97 Vii Gene installed and holy crap, full PWM support is amazing. My noctua fans are idling along at 180rpm now. They wouldn't go below 600rpm on my old z77 board. Now TD needs to ship my 4790k.

edit: another site with a 4790k in stock

http://www.atelco.de/articledetail.jsps?ref=13&pvid=4q8lfj50c_hwj5sao0&agid=2850&aid=170309

edit2:

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...%3Faid%3D170309

Someone call and see if its legit

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 18, 2014

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

canyoneer posted:

Is anyone really surprised that modern video games, designed to reach the largest market by running on consoles and as many existing PCs as possible, are not pushing newest generation processors to the limit?

It turns out programming for lots of cores is difficult.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 18, 2014

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Cardboard Box A posted:

Are there any GPUs on the horizon that use more than 16 PCIe lanes?

To plug into what? Is there a 32 lane pci-e slot?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Alereon posted:

The Asus ROG Maximus VII HERO is only $10 more than the GENE, and unless you really need the smaller form factor I think you get a better value. It would be interesting to see benchmarks comparing the audio performance of the GENE and the HERO, I'm thinking the GENE would have noticeably worse EMI because of the limited board space to route the audio traces away from noises sources. It doesn't appear to have a physically isolated board area like on the HERO, but they may have been able to come close via efficient routing.

The gene has a separate sound card it comes with. The sound chipset isn't even on the board.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Shaocaholica posted:

What's the point of making it a separate card? Not enough real estate on the main board? What kind of interface is that? PCIe?

Saves room on the board and gives you physical seperation. Seperated onboard sound uses a shitload of pcb real estate.

You can see how much pcb space is taken up on the hero, that entire lower left corner

With non seperated audio they just toss a realtek chip in with everything else and call it a day.

edit: ohh, the gene soundcard is their own interface, its not meant to be used on a different board.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jun 19, 2014

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

This post reminds me of odd things like the Rampage IV Gene. That was an interesting piece of work, and I always wondered what people thought about having an X79 mATX system missing the one thing X79 seemed to have over mainstream systems: extra PCIe slots.

Knowing ASUS, I fully expect them to make a Mini-ITX Rampgage V Impact or something for Haswell-E for maximum niche performance :black101:

Eagerly awaiting seeing the daughter card with 8 memory slots on it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

The Lord Bude posted:

PWM support has been a standard thing on I think all asus mobos since last generation.

The difference seems to be there is no minimum % fan speed.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

The Lord Bude posted:

Oh ok... On my z87 board the minimum is 40%.

So I read up on the new unlocked Pentium... I'm struggling to see the point. Yes, you can take it up to 4.5 or so, and at that point, it more or less equalizes with the core i3, or falls slightly short.

But in order to do that, you also need to buy an aftermarket CPU cooler, which will end up costing almost as much as the cpu - The Tom's Hardware review uses a noctua U12S. At that point you are spending the same or slightly more as you would if you'd just bought a core i3, and you have to spend more on a z97 mobo. Unless you already have a beefy air cooler lying about, I just don't get it.

Its not like it costs them anything to make them over the other ones. Its for PR it seems more than anything.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Shipping in uk to customers. One guy on overclock.net will have his monday.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP-539-IN&campaign=pcm/skinflint-couk&campaign=pcm/skinflint-couk

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Guess this is the first oc test of a non ES sample.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1490324/the-intel-devils-canyon-owners-club/1430

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

MisterAlex posted:

Oh, so they are available today? I thought those got pushed out to this Wednesday.

Someone got a estimated delivery notice for the 26th from amazon. Stores in the eu already have stock.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Tigerdirect just cancelled my order stating lack of availability.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

I like how he lists the voltage of the CCFL.

Guy on overclock says its not stable and hes on a 360mm rad.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jun 20, 2014

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

I wanna play

http://clarksville.craigslist.org/sys/4468857004.html

Gaming Rig (INCOMPLETE) Onboard Graphics - $500
This rig is a hardcore gaming PC made to withstand the fullest of capacities. My GTX 780 became defective while warrenty expired, should've bought extended. I do not have the $200 more dollars to replace the graphics. The Specs are listed below. The PC in AS IS condition is worth roughly $700 to $800. Will send pictures if asked via text.

I am willing to trade! Looking for a new electric guitar and amp of equal value.

CPU: AMD Phenom x6 1090T 3.2 GHz
GRAPHICS: Onboard HD Radeon 3000
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4x2 8GB 1333hz
HDD: 1TB Toshiba 7200 RPM HDD
MOBO: Gigabyte LMT87-USB Micro-ATX
HDD: 1TB Toshiba 7200 RPM HDD
PSU: ThermalTake TR2 "Black Widow" 850 Watt Semi-Modular
SHELL: NZXT Vulcan Micro-ATX mid tower

Proof of pricing:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3IS6y

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

My 4790k is kind of crappy. almost 1.3v at stock speeds, cant get stable over 4.5.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Someone with same batch as me "L352C119" reported same thing

"Doesn't get stable after 4.5ghz. Mine doesn't play nice with its own turbo on stock clocks. Vid was between 1.28- 1.32. Terrible"

Some people are getting chips that are over a year old.

People with L4 (2014) chips seem overall to be doing better.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 26, 2014

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

GokieKS posted:

Well, that's disappointing. I'm still planning on getting one when Micro Center gets them in stock to replace my 2500K (mostly because I want to upgrade the MB and case than the CPU), but I guess if it turns out to be a really terrible overclocker I might just try the delidded 4770K that I also have instead (which I never actually OCed - I delidded it because it's going in a FT03 Mini with a H60, so not amazing cooling).

Some of them are doing great. There just seems to be some batches like mine which are really bad. People have had better luck it seems with L4 chips so just ask for one of those at MC.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Ignoarints posted:

Can you read that code through the box? The chip itself is visible isnt it

batch#

the chip itself also has it and is visible

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Pentium dual core doesn't have hyper threading.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Alereon posted:

beating any AMD CPUs

Seriously amd. Bring some competition to the table.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Cardboard Box A posted:

But isn't it just dual core?

Yes. Lots of games aren't heavily multithreaded.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Got an L4 chip now Overclocking way better. Asus auto took it to 4.6 no problems.

Psion posted:

Trying to wrap my head around chipset compatibility here ... got an old system with a Sandy Bridge i5-2300 on an H61 board with old-rear end firmware that can't handle modern UEFI, among other things.

I've been asked to price out replacing the motherboard (so they can use things like 'vaguely modern video cards') - but am I stuck with only H61-chipset boards? Or if not, what else works? Anything with an LGA 1155 socket?

I'm putting this here since my concern at the moment is like 90% chipset but if I should go over to the parts picking thread, let me know.

You should be able to use any video card on your existing board. There is no reason to change out the board really unless they want something like native usb3 and native sata 3 ports.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

1gnoirents posted:

What cooler are you using? What kind of temps (IBT?) at voltage? Sorry lots of questions

Autotune put it at 4.6ghz 45x102.1 and was boosting to 1.312v. I just dropped blk down to 100 and bumped multiplier up to 47 and its doing 4700mhz @ 1.296v. Using an h100i. Ill have to try IBT. Havn't tweaked voltage or anything yet. My old chip was not stable over 4500mhz @ 1.35v.

Psion posted:

Unfortunately, no - I should point out this isn't a chipset problem per se but a documented motherboard one for the one in the system at present. I just want to know what chipsets are going to work with the rest of the parts when I go out shopping for boards.

In that cause just buy any 7 series motherboard and it will be fine.

edit: now doing aid64 4.8 @ 1.296v

BIT crashed @ 4.8 1.296

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

1gnoirents posted:

I had high hopes but 4.8 ghz at <1.3 volts I couldnt even pretend to think that'd be stable. But overall man looking pretty rad. If temperatures allowed I'd probably jump straight to 1.35 vid and see what I could do with that if it were my chip. Screw it maybe ill get one

Out of curiosity is the factory uncore frequency matching the factory frequencies? Like 4.0 / 4.4 boost?

Its still at 40