Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001
I FUCKING WASTED 10 HOURS AND $40 TODAY. FUCK YOU FATE AND/OR FORTUNE AND/OR PROBABILITY AND/OR HEISENBURG UNCERTAINTY PRINCIPLE.

Man... I want a Sandy Bridge system so bad, but there's no way I can justify it.

I have a C2Q 9400 running at 3.6 GHz with 8 GB of DDR2 at 900MHz. All the games I play are GPU limited (4870).

If I do upgrade, the CPU, mobo, and 8GB of RAM will all have to be replaced, and chances are I'll be getting... what? Maybe 4.5 GHz out of the 2500K? Sigh. Even with the IPC improvements it's still not really worthwhile. I miss the days when upgrading got you 500% extra performance instead of 50% extra.

Edit: it also bothers me that the latency on DDR3 RAM is still pretty much the same (in terms of nanoseconds) as the DDR2 RAM I've been using for years. #$%@#$

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001
I FUCKING WASTED 10 HOURS AND $40 TODAY. FUCK YOU FATE AND/OR FORTUNE AND/OR PROBABILITY AND/OR HEISENBURG UNCERTAINTY PRINCIPLE.

I want the cheapest motherboard with:

* x8/x8 PCIe slots. None of this stupid x16/x4 crap that some manufacturers are doing.
* EFI
* Not poo poo quality.

I wonder if I can get a board like that for $100.

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001

movax posted:

I wish I had Fry's! I plan on getting the Pro, I wonder if Fry's.com or outpost.com has them...

The base P8P67 isn't bad, Legit Reviews got one. They said it cost $160.00 though.

The P8P67 has a 16x/4x split for the PCIe lanes. And if you use the 4x electrical slot, all the 1x slots get deactivated.

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001

The_Franz posted:

Someone over at overclock.net claims to have Micro Center's SB launch pricing:

This seems to be in-line with their discounts on current processors so it is most likely real.

I will wake up at 8 AM to go to Microcenter if that's true and buy a 2500K tomorrow morning.

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001

The_Franz posted:

Good luck. The one near me (Mayfield, OH) hasn't even gotten their stock yet according to the person I talked to when I stopped in today.

Oh I read some more and apparently they're coming in on the 9th. I keep thinking the 5th for some reason.

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001

LooKMaN posted:

They're not really that low end, their motherboards have been getting praises for the performance/features they bring for a cheaper price compared to Asus/MSI/Gigabyte.
They're cheaper but not bad quality as you'd expect.

Yeah from what I've heard they're in between... say... ECS/Biostar and Asus. Definitely usable and occasionally they'll get it really perfectly with a particular board.

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001

The_Franz posted:

Anyone looking for a memory deal, Newegg has 8GB (2x4GB) of Corsair XMS3 memory for $99 with a coupon code (listed on the product page).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145324

It isn't quite as cheap as the previous deal, but it is DDR3 1600 instead of DDR3 1333.

If its latency was 8, or if it was $20 cheaper, I would bite. As is, I'd wait.

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001

How far have people gotten their 2500Ks in terms of OCs?

I'm running at 4.65GHz at 1.35 Vcore via a CoolerMaster Ultra 212+ on the el-cheapo Gigabyte P67A-UD3. It boots into Windows at 5 GHz on 1.4 Vcore, but crashes immediately afterwards. I don't think it's safe to bump the Vcore any higher, sigh.

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001

Kashwashwa posted:

This is the exact combination of CPU, mobo and Heatsink I just ordered, with approximately the results I was hoping for.

This fellow seems to think that the cpu has a bit more leeway as far as voltage goes, though I don't think I'd ever go to 1.5V.
http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/908782-sneak-peak-my-sandy-bridge-overclocking.html

But 1.4 should be plenty safe 24/7 by the sounds of it. Have you managed to get a bit under 5 GHz stable on 1.4V?

Also, what kind of temperatures are you getting?

Right now, I have:

4.75 GHz (101.1 BCLK * 47)
VCore 1.37V in BIOS, 1.358 actual idle, 1.31 load
QPI/Vtt 1.14V
System Agent 1.155V
PLL 1.88V

Temps at 100% 60 C measured by the motherboard utility, 61/68/68/69 C measured by CoreTemp.

Stable on OCCT for 2 hours now. If this stays stable, gonna try for 4.8 GHz at 1.38V. Not going to go higher than 1.385 V in the bios (which should equate to 1.375 V actual idle and 1.33 V load).

Sigh... my dreams of 5.0 GHz... dashed. Oh well, not going to complain. It was $280 total at MC for the CPU + Mobo. This, plus the 2 5870s I got a month ago for $300 total, should last me a while.

The only real complaint I have about the Gigabyte P67A-UD3 is that the PCIE slots are split 16x/4x, which is not optimal for Crossfile. But according to http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_5870_PCI-Express_Scaling/25.html , at 2560x1600, 8x/8x gives 98%/98% percent relative performance, while 16x/4x gives 100%/95%. I guess 4x PCIE 2.0 is good enough.

Wedesdo fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 10, 2011

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001

Blah, can't get it stable at 4.8 GHz. Crashes after 30min - 1 hour on OCCT. So close, but I refuse to go higher than 1.4 Vcore. Need to play around with QPI/Vtt and VCCSA more. I think 4.8 GHz is doable < 1.4 Vcore, but I may just have to go back to 4.75. :( 4.8 sounds so much nicer!

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001

drat, I can do 4.7GHz at 1.37V but 4.8GHz is not stable even at 1.41V. Sigh, guess I'll stick with 4.7GHz.

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001

Factory Factory posted:

Yeah, that's pretty high. At 4.4 GHz, I idle at 35 and only get to 70 during stability burn-in, ~60 when doing Folding@Home.

What are the generally safe voltages one can push an SB system to? I haven't touched my voltages and I'm stable at 4.4 GHz, though the mainboard may be doing a bit of its own fuckery. Things generally are at ~1.27V right now.

I heard that you should keep Vcore below 1.4V in the BIOS, which normally means less than 1.35V under load (due to Vdroop). These are 32nm CPUs, so they take less punishment than 45nm CPUs.

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001

Okay, sticking with 4.7GHz at 1.375V. I guess it could be worse, but I'll have to wait for Ivy Bridge for 5 GHz. :(

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001

bacon! posted:

People have talked about memory prices dropping like rocks:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3383035

$60 for 8gb (4gb x 2) of some fancy Patriot ram. Highly reviewed on Amazon and Newegg

I bought the 4GB kit version of this RAM and I wasn't impressed. The RAM needed 1.65V just to run at 1333MHz! At 1.5V this ram will only do 1066MHz. I really didn't want to go over 1.58V on my Sandy setup, so I eventually returned the RAM. I got some PNY 1333MHz RAM. Runs great at 1.5V, and will do 1600MHz at 1.58V.

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001

The Metal Avenger posted:

Edit: Downgrading the BIOS has stopped the bus speed from jumping all over the place, however it still scales down to keep the Core Speed at 3300 MHz at full load, without fail.

Have you disabled all the automated frequency control settings like "System Turbo Control" and "OS Turbo Control" and "C1E"?

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001

LordOfThePants posted:

One thing that is interesting is that while Real Temp is giving me temps of around 30° at idle, SpeedFan and the Gigabyte software are showing them around 16-17°C. I'm not sure why the values are different when they're supposed to be reading the same sensors.

For me, the temperature on Core 0 is always a good 8-10 C lower than temps on Core 1 and 2. I think EasyTune reads the Core 0 temperature only.

My theory? Core 0 is next to the unused (for us) graphics core, so it has a lot of excess silicon to spread the heat around, whereas Core 1 and 2 are surrounded by other heat-generating components.

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Looks like Intel made a lil' booboo with the chipset guys. Supposedly the fix is coming out next quarter. The fix of course is a chipset redesign so you'd have to get a new mobo.

What a PITA. This isn't nearly as bad as AMD's gently caress up with the original Phenom but its still bad enough.

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2011/01/31/intel-shares-halted-for-news/?mod=yahoobarrons

I assume Intel will fund warranty replacements of affected boards. Otherwise they'll be looking at (yet another) class action lawsuit.

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001

BondGamer posted:

Look on the bright side, before you take it in for replacement you could overclock as fast as it can go. Lets see some 6GHz.

Only motherboards are getting replaced though.

edit:

heh - "Suddenly those Marvell ports on your motherboards don't look too bad... "

Wedesdo fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 31, 2011

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001

Vermouth posted:

i've had a really hard time getting a straight answer to this question, hopefully someone here can tell me - will a coolermaster 212+ fit on an asus p8p67 LE (with ram in a2/b2), or not?

would really appreciate an answer before i order the hsf if someone knows. thanks!

The good thing about the 212 is that you can move the fan up a little bit if the fan is blocking the RAM slots. I have a GA-P67A-UD3, which also puts the CPU socket close to the RAM slots, and my 212 works fine after a little fan position adjustment.

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001

glitch77 posted:

Just letting anyone that cares to listen know;

The heatsink that comes with the i7 2600K is absolute garbage. It it smaller than the old Pentium 3 coolers and at stock speeds (3.8ghz turbo) with Prime95 running 8 threads it instantly starts to throttle because of temps (98C !?!).

Buying a cooler with an i7 is a complete must if you don't want it running at 200+F during high loads.

check to make sure all the pins of the heatsink are secured in the motherboard. It shouldn't get that hot even with the stock HSF, as long as it's correctly installed.

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001

I wonder if i should get my Gigabyte P67A-UD3 replaced as soon as the B3 chipsets come out, or wait and upgrade to a Z68 chipset board (Microcenter says they'll allow upgrades). Do I really need Quicksync? Hum...

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001

Just got my bugged Gigabyte P67A-UD3 upgraded to a B3 Asus P8P67 Pro. What a difference. 4.8 GHz stable on the Asus at the same voltage as 4.7 on the Gigabyte, and looks like there's plenty of room to go up. 5.0 GHz, here I come.

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001

COCKMOUTH.GIF posted:

One thing you have to watch out for if you're going to purchase a motherboard with an onboard Intel NIC is if it supports Jumbo Frames. A lot of Intel reference boards I've purchased have the onboard Intel NIC, but research/drivers have often revealed a lack of Jumbo Frame support. I had to purchase a PCI Express Intel NIC that had Jumbo Frame support because the DP45SG's onboard Gigabit NIC couldn't do it.

Seems like the Sandy Bridge boards' Intel NICs support it fine.

edit: intel specs http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=52963

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001

1.42V for 5.0 GHz. Worth it? :|

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001

Factory Factory posted:

For bragging rights, sure, but not for 24/7 use. ~1.35 V is the highest you want for regular use.

Yeah dropped back to 4.8GHz after running the Aero evaluation at 5.0 :P

Didn't improve my previous CPU score though. Still 7.7. :sigh:

But wow. Things are so much easier on the P8P67 Pro. Such a nice board. I totally forgot got good Asus was because I haven't had an Asus board since my T-bird days (too many cheap Fry's ECS combos). 4 USB 3.0 ports too, and Bluetooth!

Wedesdo fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 21, 2011

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001

TreFitty posted:

I have no such option. I just use the SATA 6 ports (only two of them) and then I have 3 TB of external storage. Mostly USB, but one is an old IDE drive. Living in Korea and not being able to speak the language to talk to ASUS support means I'll be keeping it. At least until my company sends me a work laptop so I don't get caught without a VT-capable computer.

I'm pretty sure if you email their headquarters they can help you figure something out.

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001

Any one else have problems with S3 resume failing when overclocked? I have a 2500K on a P8P68 Pro running at 4.8 GHz at 1.375V. Completely stable (20 hours OCCT, etc.), SpeedStep/EIST works without a hitch, and the machine will suspend to ram OK, but will not resume (fans turn on, but screen stays blank).

Any ideas?

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001

movax posted:

Dammit Intel, why? Don't do this...at least not to the enthusiast processors. But it's a slippery slope.

Kind of makes sense for OEMs I guess, but still a slippery slope.
I guess they're going to limit this to low-end processors. Otherwise hackers who want to pay mid-range prices and get premium processors would have a pretty big incentive to crack the system. Intel probably thinks no one who buys a Pentium Gxxx would possibly hack their code.

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001

Longinus00 posted:

Calling it now, in a few years Intel will follow the video game developers in requiring always on internet connection in order to use your unlocked processor. If you are offline it'll revert back to the pre unlocked values until you can get back online.

It still wouldn't stop a dedicated enough hacker. Spoof your own server or re-write the microcode.

If this ever happens though I'm buying AMD again, no matter how much slower AMD is.

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001

Are Xeons also limited to 4 bins above their max turbo, in terms of overclocking?

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001

HalloKitty posted:

For all you know, they could be binned identically. I mean really, has anyone ever had a problem overclocking their 2600K by 100MHz?
I can't even imagine it could ever happen, since the chip is obviously designed to scale up to its turbo frequency.. and that's only 100MHz more on the 2700K too.

I'm very happy with my 4.8 GHz on my 2500k, on air. If they are binning, it's not too much.

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001

movax posted:

Yep. The professional series (Precision, etc) tend to have those screen options.

Don't you love product segmentation?

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001

WardeL posted:

All this talk about motherboards is making me rethink my decision. I was recommended this one:
ASRock H61M-GS LGA 1155 Intel H61 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

I was a bit wary about such a good price but was told not to write it off just because it was cheap. It seems no different from the more expensive Extreme3 Gen3 (which was my first choice) except it has no PCI slots, but I don't have any PCI cards anyway. Is this board going to be okay?

You aren't going to be able to overclock. Are you okay with that?

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001

HalloKitty posted:

He said earlier in the thread that he didn't give the tiniest poo poo about overclocking, so I guess that's not a concern.

In that case he might as well get this if it comes back in stock: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135288&Tpk=N82E16813135288

$30.

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001

Hum my new h100 is coming. Tempted to jack my 2500K up to 1.42V and see if I can get 5 GHz.

What's the max safe voltage for a sandy bridge again? I heard ~1.45 is okay on water?

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001

Well, it's at 1.38V and 4.8GHz right now. I shouldn't get too greedy, right?

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001

http://www.nordichardware.com/news/69-cpu-chipset/45720-ivy-bridge-gets-95w-tdp-worse-overclocker-than-sandy-bridge.html

According to this article, some people have been able to get their hands on Ivy Bridge CPUs, and the overclocking results are pretty disappointing - apparently Intel's 22nm process leaks like a motherfucker, leading to high TDP with clock speeds topping out at 4.6 GHz or so.

http://forums.aria.co.uk/showthread.php/100021-3rd-GEN-Intel-CPU-Semi-Stable-Testing-*Preview*-56K-WARNING

I had been waiting for Ivy Bridge to get a second computer set up, but the way this is looking, I may just have to get a 2700K at a Microcenter firesale.

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001

Fruit Smoothies posted:

I held out for IVB. I want to overclock around 4.5GHz, but I only have an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro. Incidentally, I built my brother a 2500k rig with the same cooler last week, and his is running at 4.5Ghz with about 28/29 idle.

I know coolers aren't that expensive, but it all adds to cost. I don't know whether to get the 2600k cheap or get the 3770k. Advice?
If the Microcenter $199 2600K deal comes back, get that. I know I will. Pair it up with a H100 and see if I can get 5.0 GHz at reasonable temps.

I'm running a 2500K @ 4.8 GHz right now (1.38 V) on a Coolermaster 212 Evo, and judging by the various reviews, 4.8 GHz is more-or-less impossible for Ivy without serious water cooling.

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001

Gwaihir posted:

No heatspreader bare-core chips, cores crunched by heatsinks, it's like we're back in the good old Athlon-XP days!

Nah, it's LGA, so the motherboard is going to get damaged too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001

I may need a second computer soon. Should I stock up and grab a 2700K, or get a Piledriver for cheap and use it until Haswell?