Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

~Coxy posted:

I'm a bit disappointed by the lack of PCI-E lanes and USB 3 support.
Do we have a rough date for the 1366 replacement?

What lack of PCIe lanes?

The lack of USB3 is kind of a shame but it's less bad now that DMI and the PCIe lanes on the PCH are gen 2.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Sep 16, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

fishmech posted:

Yeah AMD tells you you should pay full price for a complete replacement CPU from the same batch that was binned differently.

Yeah I don't understand the nerd rage (over at Engadet at least) over this.

They even have car analogies about it!

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The socket lasts for one tick-tock iteration. This is nothing new. Socket 775 was around forever but the 945 boards didn't all support Conroe so most people ended up upgrading anyway. Conroe/Yorkfield had 775, Lynnfield and Westmere had their own.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Sep 19, 2010

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The new boards have DMI and south PCIe gen 2 and integrated SATA gen 3 (no crappy third party controllers). That is something you can't get by staying on old boards.

quote:

Kind of like LGA775, though there are a few boards that are 775 that cant use C2D/C2Qs, but mostly really early P4 boxes.

775 hung around forever but a bunch of 945s did not support Conroes, much less 925s. And I don't think the older P4s and Preslers worked on the later released 775 mobos either. Conroe and Yorkfield were 775, Lynnfield and Westmere had their own. If it felt like 775 had more support, it's maybe because it feels like a longer period between Conroe->Lynnfield and Lynnfield->Sandybridge

quote:

Any AMD board in recent memory can be used with lots of the newer AMD processors because they've kept the same socket. I read all the time that boards that are 3-4 years old are running the latest and greatest. It isnt common, but AMD has done well keeping the socket they've been using.

And even then, wasn't the AM1 socket an abortion at least compared to 939 and AM2?

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Sep 20, 2010

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Lum posted:

People saying that 775 was an exception and you should expect sockets to be short lived need to remember further into the past.

...what do past architectures and sockets have to do with this current generation or Intel's current tick-tock model?

In the past things may have been different, but for the most part, looking at the previous socket, this isn't anything new

quote:

As for the new chipset features. USB3 I can add with a card if I ever happen across a USB3 device and find it too slow and I guess the new SATA is good for people using SSDs? It's certainly worthless for people using harddrives.

USB3 is not a chipset feature, although south PCIe gen 2 is. This is important because that add-on card you are talking about buying most likely is a x1 card and you'll instantly be capping your very fast bus to much slower PCIe x1 gen 1 speeds.

Similar with SATA 3. Not only can you stop using a third party controller (which may or may not be lovely), but DMI is gen 2 so your upstream isn't capped at x4 gen 1 speeds. I do agree that not everyone may care about that (people who currently don't have SSDs).

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Sep 20, 2010

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Ha, this is bringing back a flood of memories. If I recall correctly, the 366@550 overclock that I did was the big successor to the massive 300A overclocks.

The 300As had a near guaranteed overclock to 450. The 366s had a higher multiplier which meant it had to go to 550 if you wanted a FSB of 100mhz, but the success rate of getting those to 550 were much lower than getting the 300s to 450.

I had a 366 which didn't hit 550 so I had to settle for 450 at some funky FSB :(

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

rscott posted:

Best HSFU for skt370 was the golden orb. It had a 60mm fan!

Incorrect. The best cooler was the Glacier 4500C with the Arctic cap

I was so angry I bought this cooler for my 366 that wouldn't even boot at 550

edit - crap attached the wrong photo

Here is the correct one:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 22, 2010

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

rscott posted:

That is a slot 1 cooler sir. :colbert:

Yes but you could buy a socket 370 to slot 1 adapter :colbert:

I forget if that cooler actually worked on the adapter though.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

freeforumuser posted:

Mainstream part for Fusion is Llano which is K10 + 400/480 shader GPU. Needless to say the GPU will slaughter SB outright but the CPU portion will be 2 generations behind SB by the time its comes out in 2H 2011. But the real star of the show is Bobcat which will have C2D + 5450 class performance on a power footprint of an Atom which will be released by the end of this year....Now that is impressive!

It should make the netbook market interesting again at least, although I've never understood the fascination people have with wanting to play games on a netbook.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Skilleddk posted:

Do you guys think I'll be able to attach my Cooler Master V8 to a LGA 1155 motherboard? It's fine on my LGA 775 for now, and my friend used it on LGA 1156 before.

I really want to reuse it, it looks so massive

I moved my old Ninja cooler from a 775 board to a 1156 one. I took off the pins on the heatsink and used nylon screws and bolts to attach it to the board. If the holes line up, you can reused it.

quote:

In addition to lavishing users with overclocking extras, this ROG board taps the Gigabit Ethernet networking Intel builds into its core-logic chipsets. Most motherboard makers ignore this "free" GigE controller in favor of standalone Realtek chips, which we've long suspected are cheaper to implement. Asus confirmed that to be true, but it's nonetheless committed to using Intel networking solutions on more of its motherboards.

HOORAY!

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Raptop posted:

Can someone named JawnV6 confirm this because a certain architect suggested otherwise when he was lording over us how our 'other' graphics solution got poo poo canned

Posters on the anandtech message boards are talking about how SB will do OpenCL, so :confused:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-20016302-64.html

quote:

Thomas Piazza, an Intel fellow and director of graphics architecture for the Intel Architecture Group, said that Sandy Bridge-based chips in their current implementation will not support DirectX 11, a Microsoft technology for accelerating multimedia and games. Currently, Sandy Bridge supports DirectX 10.1 and OpenCL 1.1--the latter used on Apple's Mac operating systems, according to Piazza. Certain graphics chips from Advanced Micro Devices' ATI unit and Nvidia already support DirectX 11.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Nov 16, 2010

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The gaming numbers look impressive (comparatively) but those Anandtech numbers still look like poo poo overall. You can probably play your older games fine, but then I still wonder the point of playing games on a netbook.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Won't the next line of Atom netbooks have better video decoding as well?

edit-I don't know about Flash though.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 16, 2010

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Space Gopher posted:

The point of putting better graphics in low-end systems isn't so you can play games. People have already touched on video decoding, but an accelerated desktop is likely to play a much more significant role in the near future, as well. IE, Firefox, and Chrome are all moving towards hardware acceleration, and letting the GPU take some of the load off the CPU will allow the system as a whole to get away with a less powerful, less power-hungry CPU.

That may be the point of what AMD did, but there are still people who talk about playing games in the comments of any netbook related review or article. It seems like every week I've had to talk my dad down from buying a near-$500 ION netbook, even after he bought an ipad.

It's probably my complaint with netbooks in general. I liked the concept of a cheap, near-disposable computer which handles most of my day-to-day poo poo (poor video playback is a sore spot), and then people wanted to go and beef them up to the price of a low-end laptop or near a ULV laptop.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Nov 16, 2010

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

BGrifter posted:

The idea of an ultraportable secondary machine for light MMO use is pretty appealing to people who play stuff like WoW. Not something to do hardcore raiding from, but maybe check the auction house or do a little questing with an alt while sitting on the couch/at the breakfast table/on your coffee break at work.

Blizzard offers a service for smartphones to remotely access the ingame auction house, so there must be some demand for "take it with you" game access.

Yeah I thought about WOW but still wasn't impressed with the numbers I saw on Anandtech. But it didn't occur to me that people would use it for light check-up type work.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I think MSI's entire SB line will be UEFI only

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

At the very least, upgrade to SNB over Lynnfield so that you can get non-lovely SATA 6 Gbps ports and PCIe gen 2 ports on the PCH if you ever decide to get a USB3 add-in card.

The Ibexpeak PCH is kind of dated looking right now, so just keep that in mind if you decide to go with the previous generation.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Dec 15, 2010

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

I wouldn't say that SATA3 and PCIe 2.0 slots are worth upgrading to SB for though, well unless you've got lots of money to spend, in which case go for it. For those who are strapped for cash right now even with "lovely" PCIe 1.0/1 a USB3 add in card will still be much faster than USB2. While there are SSD's that will max out SATA2 available now you're still talking about real world data transfer rates over or around 260MB/s, which is pretty drat good.

It may not be worth upgrading for. But if you're upgrading anyway just wait the extra couple of weeks. If cost is such a big issue that good enough is acceptable then you should be looking at AMD anyway. Lynnfields aren't exactly dirt cheap right now and if you're paying comparable money I don't see the point in handicapping yourself.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Dec 15, 2010

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

For 775 heatsinks, you can always remove the clips on the heatsink and attach it to the board using some cheap nylon screws and bolts. That's what I did with my Sythetech Ninja.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/20/intel-sandy-bridge-cpus-and-motherboards-on-sale-in-malaysia-wh/

Apparently you can buy Sandy Bridge in Malaysia now.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

ilkhan posted:

The only thing that interests me about EFI is possibly faster boot times. But I always use sleep, making boot times irrelevant.
I'll still with the P67A-UD4 I have now, thanks. (Even if I don't have a CPU, yet.)

With both an SSD and faster boot times, I wonder about just going to hibernate.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Alereon posted:

On current versions of Windows these modes have been combined into Hybrid Standby. The system hibernates, then switches to Standby mode. The result is if power isn't cut to the system, it wakes up instantly as if it was asleep. If it does lose power, then when power is restored it wakes up from Hibernate mode without having to wait for a full reboot.

Yeah but if I just do hibernate on my desktop I can save a whopping 1W of power or something minuscule like that!

Or in the case of my work laptop I bring it out of sleep after the weekend only to find that I have 30% battery left during a morning meeting.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Dec 29, 2010

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

ilkhan posted:

Hibernate is enough data that I wouldn't want to use it on an SSD. Hybrid sleep is useful, however. Put system to sleep, let it write the hibernation data, unplug, carry to LAN. Plug in and hit power, boom everything is back where it was.

I'm confused, you don't want to hibernate because it requires too much data but you want to use hybrid sleep even though it writes the same hibernation data?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

ilkhan posted:

No, I said hydrid sleep is useful, but I wouldn't use it with an SSD. My systems have 6-8GB RAM, and I wouldn't want that much data going on/off/repeat an SSD 4x (or more) a day. useful != will always use.

Ah but then your description of why you found hybrid sleep to be useful was basically just describing what hibernate does, so I got confused. Unless you were referring to a laptop in which cause just normal sleep would do that as well.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

http://semiaccurate.com/2010/12/28/msi-shows-its-big-bang-marshal-board/

quote:

WHAT DO YOU do as a motherboard manufacturer when you have to come up with a flagship product that is unlike anything your competitors have? Well, in the case of MSI you create the Big Bang Marshal, a monster of a board that features no less than eight x16 PCI Express slots in an XL-ATX form factor.

The first and most obvious question is how MSI managed to get enough bandwidth for eight x16 PCI Express slots and the simple answer is, they didn't. The more complex answer is that the board has four slots with x16 bandwidth and if you want to use all eight slots, they operate at x8 bandwidth. This is still way more bandwidth than the Sandy Bridge processors offer and MSI didn't use a pair of nF200 chips either, instead the Big Bang Marshal uses a new Lucid Hydra chip that we sadly don't have any specific details on at this moment, but from what we understood, this time around we're talking about a bridge chip rather than a solution that allows for mix and match graphics cards to work in tandem.

why, why, why, would someone need this? I'd like to know more about how they implemented this bridge chip because otherwise what the gently caress

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Dec 29, 2010

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Alereon posted:

I'd like to see how well 8 graphics cards (or even 4) work when sharing only 16 PCI-E lanes between them. Bridge chips like the NF200 and Lucid Hydra help, but that only goes so far.

Maybe they stuck the switch on the PCH but that's still stupid because you only have 8 lanes there and DMI caps you at x4 anyway.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The performance of that onboard video encoder is very surprising. I had no intention of ever using it but now it looks like it could be a nice added bonus

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Alereon posted:

There was a pretty lovely footnote to this, Intel Quick Sync transcode technology only works if the on-die graphics is enabled and in-use. This means those of us with P67 boards or discrete graphics cards can't use use the video transcoder, which just smacks of a retarded implementation.

Oh yeah I forgot about that. Never mind then!

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Wow, 4.4Ghz on that lovely low-profile stock heatsink is pretty drat impressive.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Raptop posted:

My spirit will be at hotdog island.

Hotdog Island is gone man :cry:

JawnV6 posted:

If any of the other SNB vets in FM want to meet up for lunch or at least to awkwardly stare at each other's shoes, hit me up on PM.

Does CPT count? We crash your celebrations anyway.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Fats posted:

Good question. I'm pretty sure this X58 board has 40 lanes, I imagined the Sandy Bridge stuff would have at least 32.

X58 is a high-end, enthusiast product, not a mainstream one which is what you are comparing it do.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

incoherent posted:

I agree somewhat with this that yeah, we dont need 4 16x lanes, but most P55 mid-high end mobo manufactures were able to eek out 8x/8x/4x/1x configs.

You only have so many PCIe lanes on the PCH. The number of PCIe lanes on the PCH is still the same as it was on P55. Nothing in the configuration has changed except that all the lanes now can do gen 2 speeds. If you have less PCIe slots available it's because manufacturers insist on sticking useless poo poo like Firewire, a third party SATA controller, second NIC, or a PCIe->IDE chip on their high end boards. Or they decide that it's worth sticking a couple of PCI slots on the board instead of PCIe.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jan 4, 2011

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Hardick Hertzer posted:

Tech Report put up a nice review & test of four major brand SB mobos yesterday, it's a good read.

http://techreport.com/articles.x/20190

Nice to see the P67 SATA ports outperforming the Mavell SATA 6Gbps solution. The AMD one too.

Kind of annoyed at how expensive those boards are though, but I guess that's cause I just have to have a board that uses the Intel GBE :(

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 6, 2011

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Ika posted:

What about the intel DP67BA? I'm thinking of getting that board, it has an intel gbit port, and is "cheap" compared to anything else with it. If you aren't planning on crossfire / SLI it might work.

The Techreport review said it was $6 cheaper than the Asus Pro

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Alereon posted:

TechReport found almost no performance difference between the Intel and Realtek network controllers. Throughput was the same, CPU usage averaged ~3% on the Realtek controller, ~2% on the Intel controller. And this is transferring at full Gigabit speeds.

The Asus and Intel board were 1.8 and 2.0 respectively. Gigabyte and MSI were 3.2 and 3.8. MSI had almost double the Asus, but at numbers this small with these processors I don't think you'd notice.

I just hate third party I/O solutions and avoid them whenever possible.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Apparently Sandybridge kicked AMD so hard it knocked out Dirk Meyer :v:

AMD CEO Dirk Meyer resigns, CFO Seifert takes interim role
http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/10/amd-ceo-dirk-meyer-resigns-cfo-seifert-takes-interm-role/#disqus_thread

quote:

What a day for chip news, eh? First NVIDIA and Intel set aside their vicious rhetoric in a $1.5 billion cross-licensing deal, and now AMD is shaking things up at the very top. Now-former CEO Dirk Meyer has resigned in what the company is a calling a "mutual agreement" between him and the Board of Directors. Interim CEO will be CFO Thomas Seifert, who has asked not to be considered as a candidate for the next chief. A search committee for the next CEO is currently being led by Board Chairman Bruce Claflin. The circumstances behind Meyer's departure remain a mystery, but something tells us they can't be as ridiculous as the last major CEO resignation we saw around these parts.

Wonder what happened there. He couldn't have been doing a worse job than Ruiz, right?

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 11, 2011

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

They make taking a heatsink off incredibly quick and easy so I don't understand the problem. Want to put it on, twist to unlock, line it up with the holes, and then press down on them until you hear a click. Want to take it off, just twist the other way and pull up. Use a screw driver if your goony fingers are too fat.

I've never once broken any of the pins on them or had trouble getting them off and the only people I've know you have weren't doing it correctly in the first place.

If you really hate them then just snap off the pins and replace them with nylon bolts and nuts of your own

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

pienipple posted:

Asrock boards are okay as long as you stay away from the crazy double architecture gimmick boards, those things never work right. The normal ones tend to be fine.

They have a P67 board for 1156 processors which just blows my mind!

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

aeiou posted:

Thanks for the answer! There is a good write up on Anandtech: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4142/intel-discovers-bug-in-6series-chipset-begins-recall

Yeah make sure you read that if you have a board and want to know more

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 31, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Shmoogy posted:

Is there any difference between pci sata cards? One of my drives keeps disappearing, and I fear that if I keep it connected, I'm going to corrupt everything on it. I'm using 3 sata ports, and am adding an additional fourth sata drive soon. I don't think I can go 2-3 months for RMA before adding another drive.

2-3 sata 3 gb/s pci card that's as cheap and reliable as possible, any recommendations?

This one has worked for me:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816115072

PCIe, supports SATA 6Gb/s and is pretty cheap. Uses the Marvel chip. Pretty much every other PCIe card is using either JMicron or Silicon Image chips.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 10, 2011