Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

My Core 2 Duo E7200 that I gave to a friend recently, always reported individual core temps about that disparate, something like 7C difference between the two cores at full load. It's been in at least two different motherboards with I think three different coolers and always did the same thing no matter what - stock or overclocked and overvolted. In my inexpert and totally anecdotal opinion, as long as none of them are beyond safe temps and all are stable, it's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

A good part of my house is that way yet. Those pics on Wikipedia could have been taken in my own basement. Old farmhouse built in 1929. The entire second floor has five outlets in six rooms - including the bathroom which has been retrofitted with two GFI circuits. The three bedrooms have one (ungrounded) outlet each, it's very inconvenient. The two rooms in the front of the house have nothing at all yet, except ceiling lights.

What's stopping me from getting going on that is we also have to save up to reverse the air ducts (and add returns upstairs) because it's still set up for a gravity-fed wood burner even though it has a new propane furnace.

We need to do that sooner or later, and we want to take out a wall to open up the place, but that one has the thermostat on it, and there's nowhere else to put it except an interior wall, so we need proper air flow for that to be reasonable. So we pretty much have to do it all at once to do it right, which is the problem in a lot of these cases.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I still use a 2010 AMD netbook. Has a single Kaveri core, but with a fresh Win 10 install and an extra 2GB RAM it's still fine for sitting there playing music through the stereo at work. I wouldn't want to use it for anything more demanding, though.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

We live in a rural area with a saturated 4G tower, so sometimes we don't get enough bandwidth for streaming services and we need something to fall back on. So even with kids, we do still buy physical media, but we're a lot more choosy than we were even a couple of years ago.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Give me '10nm is hard'!!!

That's what she said.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

ufarn posted:

This is pretty cool news outside the usual who-can-run-shootymans-the-fastest horserace:

Also clears up why Tesla would even consider replacing Nvidia with Intel.

terminator.jpg

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The newest game I own is Portal 2 and that's the newest game I'm likely to play for the foreseeable future. My Haswell Pentium HTPC is plenty sufficient for my needs, gaming and otherwise, but I still really want to upgrade just to get a much smaller case. I could just get a new case and mini ITX mobo for it... or live with what I have... but I don't wanna.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I'm still (occasionally) running Win10 on a circa 2009 single core AMD netbook, but I'm pretty sure that's at least 64-bit and I was able to put 4 GB RAM in it. Been considering popping an orphaned SSD in it but :effort:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

silence_kit posted:

IDK, I’ve heard that power efficiency is a pretty important figure of merit for datacenters—like I’ve heard that some of them distribute DC power instead of AC power in the building, to improve power efficiency. And often they are built in areas with inexpensive electricity, like near dams.

I'm sure that's true, but more for full load power usage.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

calusari posted:

Can anyone please link or explain (in simple terms) how to undervolt a 12700k.

Step 1: Give it less volts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

because you touch your computer at night