Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

mrk posted:

My Gigabyte also has USB 2.0 ports lol.
Most type a devices are still 2.0 even if they're labeled as 3.x. With obvious notable exceptions that need all the extra bandwidth the newer standards allow.

USB is what happens when you make number go up marketing drive your standard naming convention and adopt any dumb poo poo someone wants to do with no regard for the ecosystem you're creating. They make HDMI look good.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Dec 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

gradenko_2000 posted:

It really depends: going from an R5 1600 to an R5 3600 is certainly nice, but AFAIK it was really only the B450 that has the broad spectrum compatibility - if you got a B350 or X370 then you would have been left high-and-dry on Zen 3, and if you started with B450/B550/X570 then you already bought in mid-way through Ryzen's lifecycle.

It's still a drat sight better than Intel only ever supporting two gens at a time, but AM4 isn't quite as far-reaching as the on-paper compatibility might suggest
Almost all b350/x370 boards can run zen2. Even most of the A series can. All ASRock b350/x370 boards can run zen3. If it has the right AGESA number it will support zen2/zen3/frequently zen1 as well. A number of vendors have zen3-enabled b350 boards but don't advertise it.

AMD did try to say it won't be supported but they received so much backlash that they quickly walked it back. Certain motherboard vendors, Asus in particular and possibly MSI, didn't want to support newer CPUs on older motherboards.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Dec 15, 2021

Khorne
May 1, 2002

gradenko_2000 posted:

any idea if my "MSI B350M PRO-VD PLUS" is eligible for Zen 3? how would I check which is the appropriate AGESA?
AMD has only actively blocked zen3 from x370 so far. They C&D'd ASROCK who released zen3 support through forums. AGESA 1.2.x.x has zen3 support.

The bios page for that motherboard is confusing. It has received updates but it's unclear what AGESA it is currently using. It updated to 1.0.0.6 very late. It should support zen2 but probably not zen3. I haven't seen many/any reports of cross flashing with MSI b350 boards.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Dec 15, 2021

Khorne
May 1, 2002

gradenko_2000 posted:

any idea if my "MSI B350M PRO-VD PLUS" is eligible for Zen 3? how would I check which is the appropriate AGESA?
After reading a bit, you could try cross flashing the B450M PRO-VD PLUS bios if it has zen3 support, and if you are desperate the ASROCK A320 beta bios with zen3 support. They should have the same critical components. It might brick your board unless you have tools to unbrick so I probably wouldn't recommend it.

this thread has more information. MSI is the worst vendor for AM4 bios updates on older boards.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Dec 15, 2021

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Dell now sells you a PC with X Cores at Y Speed*

*3 month introductory promotion, retention of speed and core count requires monthly $19.99 subscription.
Switch/router vendors used to, and maybe still do I don't know my current job doesn't involve data centers or hardware, do stuff like this. There were one-time unlocks & other fun stuff for hardware you already owned.

Some of the vendors would email you firmware to flash and if you had difficulty would tell you the universal unlock codes they had. Which, of course, made their way into the hands of enthusiasts everywhere.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Twerk from Home posted:

Why on earth did we stop at 2.5G when 10GBaseT has been around for ages, and older 10GBaseT switches won't even negotiate at 2.5G?
10gb ports for copper (rj45) have non-trivial power requirements & heat dissipation. They aren't that expensive anymore, but manufacturers don't like adding cost for a feature most people don't care about. The average user has a device/devices connected to wifi and is bottlenecked by their not-even-1gbe-saturating isp.

A good consumer cost comparison is checking out mikrotik's switch offerings. They don't really charge a premium. There are other brands and some good used switch options too.

I caved and bought some $10-$20 mellanox sfp+ nics (well branded by hp/hpe as infiniband but they flash to normal) on ebay and then bought a cheapish switch with 4 sfp+ 10gb ports and some 1gbe rj45 ports.

A bunch of people in this sub did this 5+ years earlier than I did, but there are some good <=20w new "small business" or "home" switch offerings now in this space that are passively cooled.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 24, 2023

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Josh Lyman posted:

I know for a while, the Noctua DH15 performed as well as AIOs without the issues of pump noise and installation complications, but GamersNexus uses the Arctic Liquid Freezer II in their benchmarks. Are AIOs now clearly better?
AIOs aren't clearly better for CPUs. It's something that has caught on due to looking better and being a more flexible form factor. If you go to 360mm AIO then they're in a similar performance class to the D15, where neither is better. A larger AIO would outperform the D15, but the performance gains aren't there for real world use.

I would get an AIO for a 4090 gpu, but that's because an xbox is smaller than the 4090 -- by volume even. And most of that size is the cooler.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Feb 23, 2023

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Imagine if they changed the branding whenever they had a big, meaningful architecture revamp.

When they add ecores: change the branding.

When they move to tiles: change the branding

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Paul MaudDib posted:

it sounds like they're packaging a couple "base tier" cores in a CMT unit with shared resources (cache, accelerator/neural units, etc) along with a fast core. The goal being to keep the area down without sacrificing performance.
What if we package multiple cores together and have them share infrequently used, expensive resources like the fpu. I bet we could achieve insane clock speeds and avoid complexities like SMT with this future-looking design.

Bridgedozer

If this architecture crushes zen6 it will be very entertaining given the history.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Aug 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Twerk from Home posted:

I still regularly run across people who think that i3 and i5 are old and i7 and i9 are new, and will assume that an ancient i7 is faster than a current i5.
I know multiple people who have broken motherboard sockets by buying an "i7" and an "i7 compatible" motherboard and mashing them together

Khorne fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Dec 12, 2023