Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Combat Pretzel posted:

The encoding engine will be nice for video chat and poo poo like that, saving power and such.
It seems obvious to me that this is targeted at netbooks and similar form-factors, and I don't know why people are putting so much effort into dissecting how horrible it is at replacing their GPGPUs and video encoders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Has Intel announced even a tiny bit what their plans are for Sandy Bridge in the HPC space?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Apple is looking long and hard at moving to Arm on their laptops for the power/weight benefits. The iOS-ification of OSX and channeling software through their app store is going to enable them to force 3rd party devs to re-write (assuming its needed) and compile for both Arm and x86 platforms in a laptop form factor without having to do the messy transition period for the user like what happened with Rosetta and the move to Intel. Intel knows this, and they're scared shitless at the prospect. I have a feeling if the transition does happen that the iMac and Mac Pro lines will stay on x86 for a lot longer than the mobile stuff.
I'd be honestly really surprised if this happened. Apple's been making tremendous inroads with many corporations -- I'd say it's probably been their biggest Mac growth segment over the last five years -- and it's mostly because Parallels and VMware Fusion allow people to run important business applications that there are no supportable Mac alternatives to. This is not solely in the hands of IT departments, but also the BYOD generation.

There were major business wins for Apple in the Intel switch besides not being tied to a dying architecture with major problems in the areas of power, heat, and performance. Especially with what's going on with Haswell in terms of power consumption, I don't see a single compelling reason for them to switch at this point in time.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

necrobobsledder posted:

Apple having an enterprise desktop strategy makes only so much sense given they abhor dealing with the usual BS of enterprise software with armies of consultants and architects. While they do appreciate the business, they're just not looking like they're going to suck enterprise dick like IBM, HP, Unisys, BMC, CA, ad infinitum. They're not exactly rolling out iOS Management Solution Suite either for their already-successful entry into the enterprise supply chain. I really don't think that such developments would attract the sort of employees Apple wants either.

BYOD is just not going to go the same route as unregulated companies like Intel over the next 15 years. I'll suck a mean dick and swallow with a smile if hardasses like all the financials and healthcare verticals let you just buy a random laptop and put it on the network no problemo from their IT.
I think this is the same thing that everyone was saying back around 2007 when the consensus was that they would never support Microsoft Exchange on iPhone.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Miffler posted:

Ah, people in the comments mentioning the 300A. What a wonderful creature that was. :frogc00l:
Unsurpassed until the mobile Barton 2500+ :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Alereon posted:

The way power supplies are designed requires a minimum amount of current draw to produce stable power. You can't run a power supply with nothing connected to it, which is why power supply testers have resisters to produce a small load. If current draw is below the minimum for a given power supply, it will shut back off to prevent damage.
Can't Haswell just ship with a 24-pin resistor? :v: