Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Microcenter has reduced the price of most (all?) of the Intel CPU's by $10 and the associated combos. That i5-6600K for $199 is mighty tempting.

http://www.microcenter.com/category/4294966998/Computer-Parts
http://www.microcenter.com/site/brands/intel-processor-bundles.aspx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

HMS Boromir posted:

I mean, I've been using this monitor for four years now and it hasn't been "horrible for actual daily desktop use". When I'm doing work for university or whatever there's occasional stuff where a bigger / second monitor would be more comfortable but that's like 0.1% of the time I'm using the thing. If you're doing real, paid work that benefits from extra screen real estate then 1360x768 is a war crime, sure, but I'm not, so it's fine.

Stockholm Syndrome post of the year here.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

DrDork posted:

Considering 16GB of DDR3-2400 is all of about $5 less than 16GB of DDR4-3200, there's also zero reason you should ever be doing an apples-to-apples comparison between same (or even similarly) clocked DDR3 vs DDR4 sticks.

Not really. More like ~$20. Which still isn't much, but it's enough to not just immediately spend the money when the performance difference is (typically) very negligible.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007611%20601190328%20600006072%20600561668%20600561672%2050008476

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Otakufag posted:

1- For those of you who have upgraded from a 2500k to a new skylake: can you feel noticeable differences when playing recent games or doing other windows stuff?
2- Should I buy a i5 6600k or a i7 6700? Both end up costing the same as the i5 requires a more expensive mobo+cooling. This is mainly for gaming btw.
3- Maybe I should wait for something better around the corner? Is kaby lake worth waiting for or something else like zen? gently caress

1) Yes, it is noticeable. Everything is smoother and the FPS floor seems a lot higher. It's super snappy in general. I don't know if it was overall worth the expense but I'm very happy with the new machine now that I'm using it.
2) I think the 6600K is the right move if your use case is the same as mine (games, general Windows desktop use)
3) The Kaby Lake desktop processors won't be out until early next year and I doubt they'll be leaps and bounds better than Skylake (especially with a likely price premium). If you're in no rush it might be worth waiting, but if you're ready to go might as well get 4+ more months of use out of a new machine.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Otakufag posted:

My friend wants to build a gaming pc from scratch just to play Starcraft 2 campaign. That game is severely cpu bottlenecked since it is based on a modified Warcraft 3 engine, before the era of multicores, and will lag terribly when lots of units are moving and poo poo. What would be the theoretically best cpu+mobo for that kind of game?

He wants to build an entire gaming PC just to play like a 20 hour campaign? Maybe you just let him play it on your machine instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Otakufag posted:

Guys I just want to ask if going from a 1080p 60hz monitor to a 1440p 144hz g-sync one feels like having sex with Candice Swanepoel k thanks bye.

Basically. Having to use my 60Hz 1080p panel at work sucks. I feel like I'm dragging my mouse through mud.