Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Yeah the embargo is up.

Tech Report: http://techreport.com/articles.x/20188

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Alereon posted:

Interesting tidbit for those curious about boot times on EFI: Anandtech reports that their Intel P67 board cut POST times by a quarter versus Intel P57 and X58 boards, from about 29 seconds to about 22 seconds.
Considering how fast my Apple computers boot, I expect great things from PC adoption of EFI. I know we have ~40 EFI motherboards at work but I've never actually toyed with them to see if they boot faster.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

The Leon Hikari posted:

I'm coming from a e8400 with 6gb of ram, going to:

P8P67 Pro
16gb DDR3-1600
64GB Sandforce SSD.

I am expecting a rather large speed increase.
Depending on what you're doing, you might not see much of one. The SSD will be the biggest change.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Laserface posted:

Also, using a graphics card and losing the CPUs built in video encoding is a letdown considering the machine I am building for my brother will be a gaming and video encoding rig.
There's a software solution coming for this.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

aggybong posted:

Are there any laptops with sandybridge processors available now or should I wait another month? I'm in the market and I'd like to grab somethin' goooood.
There were plenty shown at CES with release dates of "the next few weeks."

I suggest waiting until the end of February until you make a decision.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

There's a 4.20 beta of Memtest86+ for Sandy Bridge.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

aeiou posted:

but makes me curious about how QA works on chip design.
In this case, they reported SATA problems and were making drive manufacturers panic. I'm glad they 'fessed up before other companies wasted more engineering resources trying to figure out Intel's gently caress-up.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 31, 2011

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

There's going to be a conference call with Intel's CFO and Vice President in 5 minutes. I'll be curious to see what comes out of that.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Ryokurin posted:

Hopefully there's a way that AMD can gain some momentum on this
They've always made bad SATA controllers. What's the big deal? :laugh:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

sloppy_joes posted:

I still feel bad for intel, estimated 300 million lost in revenue is quite a hit.
Actually it's a billion dollar mistake.

$700 million to deal with fixing the problem (OEM replacements, etc.) and $300 million in lost revenue from the stop-shipment. The $300 million will be made back, at least.

And I don't feel bad for Intel in the least.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

4 Day Weekend posted:

What issue has Intel had with 23.976 fps playback?
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-sandy-bridge-review-intel-core-i7-2600k-i5-2500k-core-i3-2100-tested/7

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

The worst part about this is the timing: Chinese New Year is going to shut down Intel's, the OEM's, and the board partner's plants for at least the next week, so reaction time is going to be terrible on correcting this.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

strategery posted:

I thought the problem was a processor issue, not a motherboard issue, right?
Nope.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

movax posted:

The ports? I was under the impression it is a combination of custom drive firmware that takes advantage of auxiliary/rarely used sections of the SATA specification.
They have two methods depending on the system/drive: one is via unused sections of SATA spec, the other is using proprietary connectors on the drive's jumper pins. They're trying to move everything to the former.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

frumpsnake posted:

First of all, it depends on whether you have a good (TI) or lovely (VIA) implementation.
Everything comes down to implementation. It's no different on USB2. Unless it's got an Oxford controller, most enclosures use garbage JMicron adapters with absolute poo poo performance.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

David Kanter might be one of the spergiest guys I've ever hung out with, but he knows his poo poo. He just published an extremely in-depth look at Sandy Bridge's GPU architecture, for those who have an interest in that sort of thing:

http://www.realworldtech.com/page.cfm?ArticleID=RWT080811195102&p=1

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Intel has pushed back Ivy Bridge until Spring of 2012.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

japtor posted:

I thought Ivy was always 2012 to begin with :downs:
It was, but it was Q1. Now it's looking more like Q2.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

Will Thunderbolt be standard once Ivy Bridge hits?
It's not integrated to the 7-series chipset, no.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/ivy-bridge-processor-release-22nm-3d-transistor,13753.html

Ivy Bridge is coming early. :D

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Nostrum posted:

ATI's number scheme has already come full circle. poo poo, in two more product cycles we'll all be able to buy a Radeon 9800...AGAIN!
Yeah but it'll be a Radeon HD 9800. :downs:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

CES is probably too early for IB stuff. You might see a few prototypes, but I doubt you'll see many finished products.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

Perhaps there is a better thread for this, but is there any news on general availability of Knight's Corner/Intel MIC?
Probably not any time in the near future, if I had to guess. It's dependent on Intel getting their 22nm 3D tri-gate process perfected, which Ivy Bridge seems to be the first commercial guinea pig for.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Looks like an NDA just lifted for Broadwell previews:

The Tech Report
AnandTech
Ars Technica

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Aug 11, 2014

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

This isn't really the place for DMCA debate.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Holy poo poo make a thread to argue about Chromebooks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

EdEddnEddy posted:

Until then, it is a royal pain to set it all up sometimes though.
Nah not really.