Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online
Why are there no IB's in the Extreme performance section?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

This is interesting. A japanese site removed the heat spreader, cleaned up the CPU, applied non-crap thermal paste, and reattached the heat spreader. End result was some substantial drops in temperature and much better overclockability. Looks like intel needs to reconsider the thermal paste approach and go back to whatever they were doing in sandy bridge.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

Agreed posted:

Bet it super-voids the warranty to pop the heatspreader off and put on your own TIM correctly, though :v:

I think the warranty goes out the window the second you think about whipping out the razor blade.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

How does a GT520 fair against a SNB HD3000 or whatever it is? I'm especially curious with how it fairs under Linux at 1920x1080.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

Alereon posted:

Anandtech has posted their Haswell architecture analysis. I haven't read it yet, but I think this means it's time for me to start working on a new thread.

More or less Haswell is about taking advantage of die shrinks and wringing as much power efficiency as possible without compromising performance.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

Alereon posted:

A defect has reportedly been identified in Haswell processors that prevents USB 3.0 devices from functioning after waking from S3 sleep mode. This will require a new revision (stepping) of the processor to correct and there is not time to fix this before release, meaning Haswell will launch with this bug. Intel is requiring OEMs buying processors to sign off that they accept the defect and will work around it, which may mean that Haswell systems are stuck with third-party USB 3.0 controllers at launch.

You would think Intel would have learned after the FDIV bug that releasing this processor is going to piss off a lot of people.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

canyoneer posted:

Raises the stakes on overclocking. If you fry your processor and breathe it in, YOU DIE maybe :v:

Don't breathe in the magic blue smoke!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

Zhentar posted:

I read something vague about TSMC using Germanium for 5nm, and was trying to look for some more reliable info... instead, I found this:

This perhaps?