Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I'm a bit disappointed by the lack of PCI-E lanes and USB 3 support.
Do we have a rough date for the 1366 replacement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

16 + 4 lanes in total, right? Main graphics interface + DMI bus.
It would be enough assuming your only intended PCI-E card is a GPU, but I would like enough for a RAID card and a few spare on top as well.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

MachinTrucChose posted:

Overclocking is a stupid waste of money and shouldn't be done but limiting the option is a negative for the CPU riceboy types.

What the hell?

$300 CPU + $50 cooler is a waste of money compared to a $600 CPU?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

movax posted:

I'm currently nearing the end of week-long training with EFI down at AMI, and I'd say even with tons of debug code active, we're seeing a reference board get to OS in ~20 seconds or so. I'm porting their reference UEFI BIOS to our new platform, so I can answer as much non-NDA'd stuff 'bout EFI as I can.

I hope this doesn't come across as a loaded question, because I'm actually curious.

BIOS as we all know is kinda slow, but what really kills it is all the "addins" that have their own screens, device enumerations, etc. before you hit the OS.

By way oof example:
basic POST -> OS = x seconds
enable AHCI in BIOS = x + y seconds
install a RAID card = x + y + z seconds
configure the JMicron RAID = yet another screen and even more seconds added to boot time.

Will EFI help with this crap?
Will we ever get to a Mac-like grey screen -> OS in stupidly low amount of time?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Gigabyte is generally the best for OS X compatibility, Asus boards seem to like to use odd sound codecs or ethernet controllers that are not well supported.

Of course all this may change with real UEFI support!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

OCAU's FS/FT forum is pretty cool, you'll often see threads like "I'm selling this week-old 2600K because it only does 47x multi and I'm still looking for one that will do at least a 53x."

Then the next week the same guy I'm thinking of will post another thread the exact same.

Plus you can lowball the more esoteric or slightly-out-of-date stuff and geta good deal sometimes. :)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Gigabyte is fine (and practically a requirement if you ever want to try OS X) and having serial/parallel/msata is a little fruity but doesn't hurt anything.

That said I'd put another $50 on top for a -UD3 board rather than the budget level one you linked. Can never have too many USB ports or audio jacks.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

USB3 ports don't work for me before the OS starts (Sandy Bridge Z68). USB2 is fine though yeah.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Man, I really hope they sort out this PCI-E passthrough stuff sometime in my lifetime.
Being a Mac user would be so much more bearable if you could get a nice system running under a bare metal hypervisor in its own little world.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

The more I read about Haswell-E for 2014, the more I want to wait even further for it.

Is that going to be the only hope for someone that wants 32 PCI-E lanes?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

SIMM doublers are back (in pog form!)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Integrated GPU is invaluable in diagnostics and a cheap hedge against having no computer if you end up with a bum video card.

Also you can use it as an extra monitor, or for QuickSync H.264 encoding.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

PerrineClostermann posted:

People resell computer parts?

To add an opposite data point to the overprice poo poo on eBay and craigslist, I buy a lot of good stuff off OCAU (computer forum) for quite cheap. As soon as a new GPU or CPU come out the mad enthusiasts are selling off their perfectly good stuff to pay down their credit cards.

As an example the last thing I bought was a GTX680 for half the price it was still selling retail the month after the 780 came out.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Krailor posted:

FYI - There's a 3rd party company selling the same model on Amazon for $80.

I doubt they ship overseas, but got a link?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Maybe it just means that they can support USB3.1 devices at USB3.0 speeds.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

We have HP Z8XX towers here and the driver support is an absolute joke. The users have no end of random intermittent problems with them.

Not sure how to apportion blame between the SOE and HP, but it's probably at least a little on each side.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

These are supposedly the Skylake models:

Doesn't really tell us much besides the fact that there isn't a massive frequency jump.

Is this the first time that non-K versions have had completely different TDPs and frequencies?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, I'm really happy I convinced myself to upgrade in 2011-12, and as nice as it would be to have 1000MB+/sec solid state storage, the only place I'll ever notice it is faster level load times.

The latest PCI-E SSDs take up so many lanes (and consumer CPUs provide so few lanes) that they steal bandwidth from your GPU anyway.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

japtor posted:

Hopefully they get inspired by the old GPU boxes, like have some monk meditating with a bunch of video gamey poo poo flying out of his head.

Intel can have a sexy blue-haired anime babe (holding a gun) on their CPU boxes and AMD can have a sexy red-haired robot babe (holding a gun) on their CPU boxes.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Skandranon posted:

It's better than it was in the early Core days. Core, Core Duo, Core2, Core2 Duo, Core2 Quad... WTF...

Makes more sense than Pentium/i3/i5/i7.

Just think of a 920 as a Core 3 Quad, 2600K as Core 4 Quad, etc.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Skandranon posted:

I don't think so... i3/i5/i7 maps well to budget, mainstream, performance. It doesn't conflate confusingly common words (Core) with the name. Sure, the model numbers within (4790K wtf) don't help, but the numbers for the Core series didn't help much better (6600 vs 8300).

Yes it does. "Core i7 2600K"

Also i3/i5/i7 mean different things on different platforms. If it was a hard hard and fast rule where like i2 = 2C2T i2H = 2C4T i4 = 4C4T i4H = 4C8T it would be a lot better IMO.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

mayodreams posted:

When I had ThinkPads for work, disabled that loving thing in the BIOS.

Unfortunately on Latitudes you need to run the lovely Alps software at startup to disable it (and the bonus mouse buttons.)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

They got up to 10th gen, law of marketing says you have to rebrand now.

See also: NVidia, ATi.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

If it's anything like the sexy anime babes on GPU shrouds then it should be printed onto the LGA pads so it's upside-down after you install it.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

The Hyper 212 was always a budget small/medium tower cooler. 4 heatpipes, fairly narrow and I presume you're using it with a single fan.

Any big tower cooler with 6 heatpipes and more fin surface area and two fans will be quite a bit better. Make sure it can clear your RAM and fits in your case besides.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Cygni posted:

To add to that, if you saw those USB4 speed numbers of 20Gbps or 40Gbps and got happy, good news! USB-IF hosed that up too! USB4 20Gbps certified devices only have to transfer data at... 10Gbps. The other 10Gbps can come from data or the required displayport pass through support. So even if a port says USB4 20Gbps, there is no guarantee it will run at anything higher than 10Gb/s for actual data. There is also no branding standard to figure out which USB4 20Gbps ports and devices support what, so being cynical, I think its likely that device makers won't bother supporting anything but the required portions.

I was trying to test some cables recently and you don't even have any way of knowing what rate your PC and the device are "syncing" at.
If you have an eGPU you can do some VRAM fill rate test and that's about it.
(Maybe someone should make a fake USB stick that writes everything to /dev/null for speed tests)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Eletriarnation posted:

There are advantages to PGA, too. While it's a pain to unbend their pins, it's at least feasible - good luck unfucking an LGA which has taken any damage at all.

When LGA came out everyone was scared shitless of bricking a mobo but I have never actually done it, including at least one time moving a mobo around without the little plastic covering in the CPU holder and another time where one of the screws holding the retention mechanism came all the way out so the CPU wasn't in properly.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

It's also hard to tell before you actually buy it whether a product's LEDs default to on (OK you can probably guess they do), what the brightness is, if they colour cycle, does the hardware "remember" if you set the colour, brightness, or turn it off entirely? Some reviews may go into enough detail but I would say that most don't/

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I know you already ordered the K but I for anyone else the K CPUs come with better coolers in the current XPS line, so it's probably worth it.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I was in a discussion recently about an enthusiast server that needed a really high single core frequency.
This seems like a job for a 10700K, right?
Are there any oddball Xeons you can get off AliExpress for cheap that push 5GHz?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Thanks very much for the thoughtful post.

The application is a games server, of course. It's currently a homebrew 3820K in a rack, so the overclocked Xeon might be the way to go.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

It's a proxmox host with ceph, so it is probably worth getting a ECC capable solution.
Although I just checked the current host and it actually doesn't seem to have ECC to begin with so...

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

That's basically what we do now with cinebench!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

K8.0 posted:

People hang on to PSUs too long anyway

:wtc:

Yeah, it sucks so much that I haven't needed to buy a new PSU for the last 15 years!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

PSUs being ticking time bombs is loving snake oil.
Prophylactically replacing "old" PSUs (how old? 10 years? 5 years?) that are working perfectly well is a complete waste of money.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

No gaming computer is running at 800W 24/7.
Heck, it probably isn't even running at 800W in the middle of a game, only during a stress test or benchmark.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

TDP is only 105W, it's not any more of a heater than a modern CPU.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

mdxi posted:

ASRock would never design something so inelegant and wonky.

They would have implemented it as an interposer/daughterboard/riser which attaches to the CPU socket on your existing motherboard, acting primarily as a PCI and power passthru. Daughterboard has a steel backplate and a system of standoff/buttresses supporting it, which attach to the case at the ITX layout mobo screw holes. CPU, cooler, and RAM socket into the daughterboard.

ASRock would simply create a motherboard that has DDR4 and DDR5 slots. In the past it would have been 4x DDR4 slots and 2x DDR3 slots but these days it will probably be 4x DDR4 slots and 2x DDR5 slots.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

The United States posted:

Intel Battlemage 3: The Darklight Awakening

SSǝX

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Do we have any good goss on the Intel 12th gen laptop parts, especially the H class/45W?