Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Nintendo Kid posted:

There's still some housing out there that contains substantial amounts of this wiring:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knob-and-tube_wiring

I live in a house in SF that was built in 1899 and we have this for some of our electrical. First time I encountered some I noped right the gently caress out and called an electrician. The cloth insulator was so old it crumbled at the slightest touch. Thankfully that's only left in the spaces where it can't be reached, such as in the ceiling. The rest of the house was retrofitted (terribly) with standard 3 conductor in conduit.

NeuralSpark fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jul 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

s.i.r.e. posted:

Jesus that's embarrassing so much for trusting my friends; welp, so now the new issue is what's a better cooler for my rig since my case will only accept a low profile? Or should I just say gently caress it and build in a case that accepts a large profile heatsink?

Pre-filled closed loop liquid setup if you've got the room for the radiator? I've got one in my Elite 130 and it's pretty tight between my 4770K and the power supply.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

No Abit BP6 :(

I had one of those, and like 4 of my college buddies did too.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

I like that I have to come to the Intel CPU thread for rational Apple hardware chat.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Wait, who cares about hard drive appearance?

E- oh, I guess you mean mobos :haw:
I don't mind whatever dumb lighting they fit as long as it's all switch offable.

First thing I found and turned off in the BIOS on my ROG Z270.

EDIT: I wanted the dual m2 slots, but so much circuitry and BIOS complexity for all your GAMER BLING needs. Ugh why.

NeuralSpark fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 27, 2017

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

ITT: Goons liking UEFI root kits

mewse posted:

Drivers are one thing but installing an auto updater service that magically reappears on reboot really does not feel right, even though it can be disabled in bios.

I don't trust Asus to write a stable or secure anything, so same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

eames posted:

This looked like a huge win for computing when I first read it (40gbps pcie ports in all phones and tables! yay!) but then I quickly realized it'll probably lead to a mess of ports with the same name, same look and completely different functionality. hope I'm wrong.

This is exactly what will happen.