Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
So in what instance is the i7 Sandy a better choice than the i5? In the building thread, it seems to be a consensus that (for gaming at least) there is no real reason to get an i7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
Well crap. I JUST built a psp67 i5 2500k setup this past week. I used newegg. Now Ill need to call I assume to figure out what to do. My stuff should still be under the Newegg Warranty, but since there is no resolution, Im not sure what they will do.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004

Kashwashwa posted:

Right, but what I'm saying is if you were only using two, you'd be using both of the 6 GB/s ports (which if I'm not mistaken are unaffected - it's only the 3 GB/s ports that are).

I thought the problem was a processor issue, not a motherboard issue, right?

strategery
Apr 21, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Nope.

So I need to contact newegg about replacing my motherboard AND CPU, yes? (As I have a p8p67 pro and i2500k).

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
Well, just got my replacement p8p67 motherboard. I took everything out of my old one and put on the new one. Now my new one is giving me a memory error (Memory Check light is red). The system appears to be testing. The memory light is constant red. At the very end of the test, the CPU light flashes red one time and the system restarts. Everything worked fine before (Except the faulty SATA connections).

No sounds at all during this whole power up/red light/restart. It looks like ill be on my 3rd motherboard. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strategery
Apr 21, 2004

strategery posted:

Well, just got my replacement p8p67 motherboard. I took everything out of my old one and put on the new one. Now my new one is giving me a memory error (Memory Check light is red). The system appears to be testing. The memory light is constant red. At the very end of the test, the CPU light flashes red one time and the system restarts. Everything worked fine before (Except the faulty SATA connections).

No sounds at all during this whole power up/red light/restart. It looks like ill be on my 3rd motherboard. :(

So I did all the suggested actions. Finally - for whatever reason - the computer now boots up to bios with one stick of ram. Do I set the bios any differently? There is a setting to set to optimized defaults.

EDIT: Just saved without changing anything and shut down. Restarted with both sticks of ram and went back to red light/no screen.

EDIT2: So went to one stick again and then swapped sticks. Turns out one of them somehow went bad while transitioning to the new MB. :(

strategery fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Apr 8, 2011