Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

mew force shoelace posted:

You know what would go a long way towards making computers seem better? A dedicated chip and memory just to run the OS. I'd be pretty tiny and it'd take out a ton of the apparent slowness of a computer.

Yeah, on an application page fault what you really want to do is go off-chip for the handler instead of just running the OS right on that core. That'd make things zippy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Combat Pretzel posted:

Trying to figure out what VMCS is, I ran over VirtualBox documentation that suggests that it's a feature available on all Intel CPUs with VT-x.

The Virtual Machine Control Structure (VMCS) is explained in the Intel PRM Vol. 3B, if that's not quite enough to put you to sleep you can read the rest of the PRM. It's a 4kb region of memory containing guest state, host state, control bits, etc. accessed through the vmread/vmwrite instructions. Basically it's an implementation detail of VT-x and unless you're rolling your own hypervisor you shouldn't care about it.

If any of the other SNB vets in FM want to meet up for lunch or at least to awkwardly stare at each other's shoes, hit me up on PM.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

movax posted:

Yes; you are increasing multi and therefore increasing clock frequency, and if you bump VCore for stability, you are sucking down more power (P = IV).

The power-saving features will still function (probably), i.e. SpeedStep and such, but yeah, you're drawing more power.

From a couple days back, but a slight correction: For dynamic circuits power scales with the square of voltage, P=C·V2·f, not linearly. P is linear with respect to frequency. It's not a huge difference when you're moving .05V at a time though.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I went through ~100 heatsink replacements last week and I really don't get the hate for it.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

movax posted:

So looking at the PCIe 3.0 spec, I guess I lied, there are some protocol layer changes in addition to physical layer changes. They went to 128b/130b for 8.0GT/s operation + a ton of new specifications PHY-wise for the 8.0 rate.

Yeah it's nothing like gen2 where the diff of the entire spec against gen1 is like 5 lines, gen3 had to do some extreme changes to hit double the bandwidth.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

MeruFM posted:

if internet becomes so ubiquitous that at any given moment, your computer is connected to multiple high quality lines, then it is a possibility.
It's not a "possibility" it's a singularly terrible idea devoid of any merit.

Wedesdo posted:

Spoof your own server or re-write the microcode.
Gosh, one of those is a shitload easier...

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Alereon posted:

Where are our 8GB DIMMs already?

At least 300ns away, according to the JEDEC spec.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Agreed posted:

Although it wouldn't surprise me under any circumstances, really, specialized industries are pretty incestuous and no noncompete is going to last 13 years.

I know one guy who's worked for Cadence 4 times. He's never been hired there, but he's worked for 4 different companies that were bought by Cadence.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

freeforumuser posted:

Word. Intel tocks (Penryn, IB) aren't really worth waiting for, it's the ticks (Conroe, Nehalem, SB) that are far more impressive.

Good job getting tick/tock literally backwards.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Shaocaholica posted:

So have all previous Intel 6 core procs actually been 8 core procs with 2 turned off?

No.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
More ISSCC coverage: http://www.eetimes.com/electronics-news/4236562/Intel-gives-deeper-look-into-Ivy-Bridge?cid=NL_EETimesDaily

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Alereon posted:

that Intel China exec.

Sean Maloney?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

COCKMOUTH.GIF posted:

(why would I want built-in WiFi on a motherboard?)

Yeah seriously, you want WiFi on-die.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

incoherent posted:

Kneecapping IVB so there is a big difference between IVB and IVB-E.

Yeah IVB-E doubling the cores, using a bidirectional ring, completely rearchitecting I/O... all fluff. This internal heat transfer poo poo literally nobody sees except a couple overclockers, that's where there's some tricky segmentation happening.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
All the p-state stuff is well documented in the ACPI spec. It defines the communication between applications, the OS, and hardware regarding power states. It's basically the evolution of the MPS spec, APM, all that fun stuff. It's a great read if you're some kind of nerd.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

movax posted:

I unfortunately have experience with ASL now, I will die forever alone and unloved, like a true super-nerd. Some program manager somewhere decided we should support ACPI-mediated PCIe hot-plug as well :saddowns:
I've read... large parts of the spec. Also written MPS tables, etc.

Shaocaholica posted:

Do Macs use ACPI? I ask because Apple isn't on the list of companies that contribute to it.
You can implement a spec without contributing to it's definition? If you've heard mac people talking about DSDT/SSDT, those are both part of ACPI.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Shaocaholica posted:

So Apple doesn't contribute to ACPI because of how new they are to x86?

:confused: Why do you think ACPI is x86-only?

You're also vastly misunderstanding the depth of information that ACPI can provide. The extensions have mostly been to support entirely new interfaces like PCIe cards.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Apple would have been fools to not use little-endian when they jumped over to x86. Therefore all little-endian machines are x86.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Richard M Nixon posted:

I'm coming from a Haswell i7

You're from the future?!?!

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Still rolling on my old Yorkfield and other hardware just as old, but just got my complimentary IVB i7-3770k from work. Pairing this up with a DZ77RE-75K and 240gb 520 SSD.

:getin:
Just built mine last night, upgrading from my old Merom :corsair:

rhag posted:

I rarely touch a laptop, and when i do, the power of the device is irrelevant for the task. I prefer to have a CPU that is focused on doing whatever is doing as fast as possible, leaving other things (such as graphics) to the dedicated boards/devices.
With turbo boost, preferring to have the CPU doing whatever it is doing as fast as possible is a power management feature.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

WhyteRyce posted:

We're entering an era where all the new engineering students just have smart phones and tablets and never have done any actual work or tinkering around on their own

In my day we didn't have app stores and if you wanted something done you'd just write a drat program yourself to do it :mad:
On the other hand, FPGA's with millions of gates and plentiful IO's are common. Classes probably aren't starting with digital logic GUI's.

The boards I learned on seem hilariously quaint by comparison. Parallel port JTAG, a separate board for USB, Windows MFC programming... so painful.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I'll tell you what though, eliminating validation on a whole package saves approximately 1 million headaches for me. Bye LGA!
The headaches don't leave, they just hop over to my lab :(

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
:confused: Haswell 8w?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Alereon posted:

the current 17W products have rather anemic performance

"Anemic" compared to what?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Fruit Smoothies posted:

I thought intel were just being ultra-picky about which parts they make OEM use to get their "certification" rather than making it more SOC like. Certainly on the haswell front. Could be wrong, though

He's talking about Rosepoint.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Is there some separate thread for the Brian Krzanich election? Or just no interest in discussing it?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Otellini announced he was retiring back in November, oddly timed since he could have gone a couple more years if memory serves. His reasoning was along the lines of there's a Big Decision about the future of Intel that the next CEO will have to live with the consequences of for their entire tenure and he didn't want to make it for them. I no longer work for the company, but I'm still not sure how much of that is public or not so apologies on being vague.

I'm a little surprised they went with Krzanich, the incredibly safe choice of promoting the current COO. The very possibility of an outside hire, even if "outside" meant Pat Gelsinger, was really interesting. I think I'm trying to read a lot more into the phrase "open-minded approach to problem solving" than was intended, but he might have tipped his hand on that Big Decision.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Alereon posted:

I can't imagine AMD management or shareholders going for that given they are about to start making a SHITTON of money from consoles for 5+ years.

Consoles aren't huge volumes though. The PS3 shipped 70M over 6 years, Ivybridge shipped 100M in one year. Different margins and continuing engineering support profiles too.

Totally agreed on the x86 monopoly/ARM issue though. ARM's in a great position and there have been a few decades of research to abstract away the ISA layer between HLL's and performance. Apple in particular has practical experience swapping out the ISA and complete control of the iOS toolchain. I still think ARM would have huge growing pains if they tried to scale to a billion+ transistors and it isn't a given they could get to today's desktop range without burning up. But a monopoly on x86 isn't worth what it used to be.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

WhyteRyce posted:

I just assumed that Paul stepping down was do to Intel missing the mobile boat and being really late to the game. That's just me guessing with no actual information or anything.
There were monumental shifts to correct course there. The board was surely aware of the justifications stretching back to when Xscale was sold off and I don't think they'd hold it against him.

quote:

I'm assuming that picking a guy with TMG experience is an indication of where the company is going and/or what they plan on doing
Not really? He's the most qualified to make the call I guess. Gelsinger had an amazing vision for the future of computing, blew me away at DTTC '09. Picking TMG over that shows you where they need guidance.

WhyteRyce posted:

And boring CEO choice where is my stock pop :mad:
same

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

flavor posted:

I'm not an economist, but if revenue is an indicator of scale, then I'd think Intel and AMD still have no excuse to merge. Maybe in a few years.
Great, once you go out and find the revenue numbers for the companies that actually design ARM SoC's, the companies that fab them, the companies that integrate devices around them, and the plethora of companies that provide third-party support for compiling, debugging, etc. and total all those up to get a reasonable estimate of the revenue the ARM ecosystem is chugging through you might have a comparison that isn't utterly ignorant of the market. Short list would be Qualcomm, Samsung, TSMC, Apple, Atmel...

iPhones alone have shipped >250M, iPads >100M. That's dwarfed by the number of Androids. Cell phones are a fraction of the raw count of ARM cores shipping. The margins are a different picture and a core-to-core count isn't great, but the basic picture is that ARM currently dominates mobile and mobile's on the way up.

Factory Factory posted:

Control over the CPU-GPU HSA, maybe. That's AMD's big push and big hope, yet Haswell having the ability to push a GPU memory-space pointer to the CPU shows that Intel is trying to do the same thing. If Intel had AMD, then Intel could do one, non-segmented HSA for x86. Especially one which conveniently only worked with Iris and Radeon hardware, leaving Nvidia at a disadvantage in the compute space it gets so much money from.
HSA wouldn't really help by itself. Anyone can slap the same labels on a memory range and point compute agents at it. The problem is making the hardware support it quickly and coherently, and the ATI acquisition showed us just how long HW design integration takes.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

flavor posted:

Same thing applies to x86 with the exception of the manufacturing of the actual CPUs. It looks to me like you are trying to compare everything but the kitchen sink on the ARM side to just the bare manufacturing of the CPUs on the x86 side.
Oh, you're ignorant about x86 too? No prob. Just to take an example I'm quite familiar with: in terms of ICE debugging, there isn't a third party x86 solution. Debug tools are only shipped from Intel/AMD themselves. On the ARM side you've got device manufacturers like Atmel who provide an IDE with ICE support and pure tools vendors like IAR who sell alternatives. This is why I'm pretty comfortable asking your comparison to include those third parties and why there isn't a third party on the x86 side. If you really want to drill in on this and you don't, it's stupid, I hope you're going to go lop off the Intel revenue from Flash and other non-x86 sections.

I could go on, but the short version is that ARM is a diverse ecosystem of several companies. x86 is the Big Two and hardly anybody else. If you're going to call my analysis specious it might help you to actually supply, you know, a fact or two?

flavor posted:

I'd just like to see the actual numbers with a good analysis and not just commonplace "mobile is on the way up" projections where somebody uses a ruler and draws a straight line to 2050 based on the 2007 and 2012 values or similar.
The numbers I've given in this thread (70M PS3's in 6 years, 100M IVB in 1 year, 250M iPhone in 5 years, 100M iPad in 3 years) are "actual numbers." Did you think I was making those up? Every single one is a google search away if you doubt them.

Intel openly acknowledges this in a lot of ways, so I can't imagine why you're holding this point in contention. At the 2011 investor meeting, then-CEO Paul Otellini asked "600 smartphones were sold. Who made the most money? Intel, because someone had to buy a Xeon to support the backend." There are a lot of industries where a high-end manufacturer ceded the low-end to cheap competitors, who ramped up on the huge volumes, got some experience, then beat the high-end player at their own game. Steel, manufacturing, etc.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

flavor posted:

It looks a little bit like you're trying to push some kind of narrow limit around x86 and a wide one around ARM, and everyone who brings this up meets with condescension. If you feel you have very convincing arguments, let them speak for themselves.
This is literally the structure of how the two architectures are designed, fabbed, and pushed into the market by their respective makers. I'm not casting nets or anything, I am trying to describe reality against your continued objections. Intel is a highly integrated device manufacturer (IDM) that owns the architecture, the design teams, the fabs that produce the chips, marketing, sales, etc. ARM is a licensing corporation that does not own a single fab whose business model is to develop a general architecture, license it to companies with design teams who integrate the core into SoC's with differentiating components, those same companies may own fabs or contract that out to Yet Another Company in the ARM ecosystem.

ARM is an ecosystem. Intel is an IDM.

Shaocaholica posted:

What exactly is a stepping anyway? Is it like a different layout of the same logic?
Steppings traditionallylol started with A0. Any polysilicon change (e.g. transistors changing) makes the letter go up and is a major effort, any wire/metal changes are a "dash" stepping and increment the number. Due to how silicon is manufactured from the poly up, 'dash' steppings may be able to intercept in-progress Si and fix chips that would have had known issues.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

WhyteRyce posted:

I do love how the forecasted cost, the thing that drove the decision, was wrong.

It's not quite that simple. That's back in the time frame when Intel still had an in-house ARM team, and the bet was made on x86. And the "forecasted cost" being wrong wasn't simply a matter of the numbers being off. The entire model had to change and it wasn't clear how to do that, certainly not for a <5M part.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
The flip side to slow to change direction being that once Intel starts focusing something, they're bringing incredible pressure to bear on the problem.

WhyteRyce posted:

I don't believe switching from ARM to ARM isn't quite as big of a deal as switching from x86 to ARM or vice versa, but I could be wrong.
Haven't had time to read the articles on this, but there's no way they were pitching x86 back on the original iPhone design. Had to be the Xscale ARM stuff.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

necrobobsledder posted:

(I am not a believer that Intel has won from the cloud revolution unlike some writers / visionaries out there).
Server margins and dollars don't lie. The ARM threat has always been low-value commodities coming up the value chain, not a horizontal displacement.

necrobobsledder posted:

I still think the tablet game is basically over though without a way for developers to port everything over to x86 quickly. Apple may ironically make x86 mobile rather relevant if they release a solid iOS for x86 tool suite something similar to Rosetta in pursuit of their "iOS ALL THE THINGS" strategy that's highly controversial.
Don't they still control the only official toolchain that you can release programs on the only official app store with? They don't need a "Rosetta" or even developer awareness, they need a point update to that toolchain to spit x86 out the backend instead of ARM.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

HalloKitty posted:

Arbitrarily missing features from unlocked CPUs

How many overclocking stress tests even exercise VMX functionality?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

movax posted:

I would have been really upset if Vt-x was disabled on K SKUs; I can understand no Vt-d support though, as I'm not running PCI passthrough on my desktop (almost certainly on a dedicated hypervisor box though).

Just thinking of the case where someone OC's, 'proves' it with a compute-heavy workload, then throws a VM on it and tears hair out when a leaf of a rare vmexit becomes the critical path.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Shaocaholica posted:

Passed 200 hours of prime95 but crashes on Crysis right away? I've seen that case and never have I heard anyone blame the chipmaker or the developers.

Gosh, immediate crashes are easy to root cause? Validation missed a precious gem in you.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
It shouldn't be a stepping stone to design, it should be a stepping stone to architecture. And they might just be the special snowflake types who would've been equally unhappy at the reality of design work staring at the same 5 critical paths for a couple months. imo.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Phantom Limb posted:

Fair enough. I think my perception of it is also colored by the fact a lot of younger engineers at my company got shoved into doing validation since there was no other work, and they pretty much universally hated it.

You've got to stamp that out.

There's a bit of a difference between what companies call "validation/verification". There's the team that answers "Is the layout an equivalent circuit to the RTL?" that's mostly automated now and if you have humans doing any significant portion of it, yeah it's not the best. There's also the team that answers "Is this design doing what's expected?" that requires actual engineering since over the life of the project you have time to run maaaaaybe 1 second of real CPU time, so you have to be clever what tests you run on what portions of the chip to make sure the billions to get the first ones back enables the post-silicon teams to run multiple seconds (:eyepop:) of quality content to flush out the nastier bugs.

If you exclusively hire RCG's, treat them like second class citizens, and actively poach the best of them for other teams... really hard to imagine an outcome other than a terrible team? Ideally you've got experienced validators who engage during the early stages of architectural planning (or even take architectural ownership) to shape the project in a way that's easy to validate to cut that long pole down and let you build a wider tent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Shaocaholica posted:

I always thought that the vast majority of overclockers consider a speed stable only if ALL aspects of the CPU are stable. Hence the 100s of different stress tests.
Oh my, hundreds of tests? That might begin to cover some of the billions of paths through the chip. As I said before though, I doubt you'd even hit every vmexit possibility, and since those have a very high chance of going to triple fault shutdown, are quite nasty to try to root cause long after the fact.

It's cute that you think "100s" is a big big number though :3: It's ok, most designers are quite myopic.

sincx posted:

Monopoly pricing.
With slashed idle power, TCO should be lower and the price reflects that value add. Not to mention FIVR reduces component count on the board, lowering the suppliers cost elsewhere. Or you could just go for the most simplistic kneejerk analysis, that's good too.