Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

"Devil's canyon" reminds me far too much of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21geIuzTaU0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I wonder if the IT guy read reviews before doing this or not. Not even vs Intel, Vs AMD's number one competitor, AMD.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Dammit, looks like my Z77 board is getting flaky, and not detecting graphics cards 100% of the time :(

Normally I'd just replace the old board and chip with something newer and sell the chip, but kinda attached to this 2500K and not seeing much benefit to going Haswell.
This might be the first time I ever replace an old motherboard with something of similar spec.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Darkpriest667 posted:

What model do you have? I am still on a p67 board running strong for 4 years now!

This board is an Asrock Z77e-ITX - it just intermittently decides there is nothing in the PCI-e slot. Cleared CMOS, tried another graphics card (one nVidia, one AMD), reseated them, updated BIOS's and tried betas. Same deal :(

(Bugger is, I can find a lot of cheapish ATX S1155 boards, but most of the mITX ones are overpriced now. Was hoping to keep this alive until there was something really compelling to upgrade to)

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

SamDabbers posted:

Amazon has brand new ASUS P8Z77-I DELUXE/WDs for $143 after a $50 rebate. Seems like a solid deal all things considered.

That's pretty awesome and I appreciate it. I'll have to see what I can find in the uk, though.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 13, 2015

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

SwissCM posted:

Get a can of compressed air or something and blow out the connector slot. I had a similar issue with my board and it turned out to be dust in the PCIE slot.

Air duster ordered, you rock!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Darkpriest667 posted:

Bummer I have a Fatal1ty Pro board , also by ASrock, I swear by the Fatal1ty Professional series I've owned 3 of them with different chipsets and they have always been real good to me. I like ASrock as an alternative to ASUS and Gigabyte.

Ya, this little Itx board has been awesome, fingers crossed it is just some crud in the slot. I'd buy Asrock again no question.

Hoping Broadwell socketed chips are actually going to appear - aren't they the last procs z97 will support?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Yay, ultra M2 on ITX. Nice work, Asrock. Hope they do this again with skylake!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Mar 14, 2015

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Will the skylake successor use the same socket?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Haeleus posted:

I've actually setup BIOS to run my cpu @ 4.3 Ghz constantly (aka 43 multiplier with turbo mode constantly activated), but normally yes this is turbo mode with the CPU throttling back to 1.6 when idle.

Curious why you would do this?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Holy gently caress, I better wait for Zen.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Not noticed it on my sandy vag chip, does it affect those too?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

HalloKitty posted:

It'd be nice if Intel made an unlocked Skylake CPU with 128MiB L4 cache, but a low end GPU to save cost and die space, to give us the all rounder I'd lust for.

I'd be all over that, it would be a truly worthy sandy vag upgrade.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Subjunctive posted:

You gotta stop doing that.

OK.

Is FIVR coming back in Ice lake for certain?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I'd take a couple of days off, but I doubt it will hurt it noticeably.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jan 3, 2016

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Skandranon posted:

I think he was just suggesting not playing any games until he gets his new parts. Not to cool off, but not to push the CPU any harder. The goal is for nothing bad to happen to the CPU over those days.

Yep, exactly.

I guess that poster with the overheating problem is using a stock Intel heat sink, and the push pins are giving up the ghost. At least that's my guess.

I hope intel's next gen chips include a bigass cache model like the 5775c.

Also, are Intel sticking with external voltage regulators for next gen socketed chips, or will FIVR make a comeback?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jan 3, 2016

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

HMS Boromir posted:

Skylake-C is officially not happening, so we'll be waiting a while for more of that, if it ever comes at all.

Is lots of cache helping much in Vr gaming min fps workloads? If so I really, really hope Intel jump on that idea. I like to keep vomiting to a minimum.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

HalloKitty posted:

I want to see it done again. All the cache.

I do too. Is there anything on the cards for it?

I really want a big cache chip, with full speed pcie and ultra m2 for a little Vr box.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Twerk from Home posted:

maybe they'll stick some eDRAM on server chips to be a big ol L4 cache.

:fap:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I wonder if the next gen of high end GPUs will show similar results in SLI comparing haswell e to skylake. I think I'll base my decision on whether to get big haswell or skylake based on that.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 13, 2016

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

This is great advice; will Intel be releasing a new chipset for broadwell e? Not that there is anything I'd want that isn't in x99 already.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Curious about why the idle power use increases - can't you change multipliers / volts / maximum cores in turbo mode separately?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Just pronounce it similarly to "anus".

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

It seems pretty intentionally designed to mislead people tbh. Such is life.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Lowest end chip still has less pcie lanes. Boo.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

What's the current verdict on the 5775c? For a games box to add vive to later on. I'm only going to use a single graphics card. Thanks thread.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

VulgarandStupid posted:

I have one, it works well for gaming but I'm not playing anything that's CPU limited, I don't think. However, unless you already have a H/Z97 board and DDR3, you're probably better off getting Skylake and faster RAM which will keep your minimum frame rates up.

Thanks. I've been looking for, but can't find, good benchmarks looking at min fps in games. I'd like to compare the 6700k, 5820k. Don't suppose the hive mind can help?

I'm also wondering if more cores are going to end up more useful for dx12 as time goes by.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Quick question. If anyone has a 6600k at around 4.5ghz and a 1080, what's the system power use? Just sourcing a power supply.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Theoretically 500W would be enough but go with a 750W for overhead.

Thanks! Nabbed a 750w platinum. I finally found an excuse to upgrade (other half would like my 2500k).

I wonder if any of the newer chips that support s1151 will have cache like the 5775c, that'd make this whole system upgrade as future proof as these things get.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Paul MaudDib posted:

Still oscillating between a 5820k and a 6700k.

I did this for a good while, then went for skylake. Mostly because of the improved per core performance, also a socket that should hopefully support a couple more chips. I hope I don't end up regretting it if dx12 / vulkan games performance gets a core boner.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

For a gaming system though, does ht, usually, not help frames and min frame rate? (And in some circumstances actually drop them?)

Maybe that's not the case in new dx12 / vulkan games?

If it isn't the case I wonder if 5820ks and the like will seem a ton more attractive for gaming, even over skylakes strong single core performance. 

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jun 28, 2016

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Understood, I'd expect games to take advantage of more cores going forward. But is it conclusive that they will take advantage of hyperthreading?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

I'd hold off currently on buying a new i7 or i7 system with the intention of playing DX12 games, because there aren't a lot of games yet that use many of DX12's features to begin with, right now. We can't justify additional cores and additional threads unless we see how well specific games (i.e. the games you want to play in the future like Battlefield 1) actually scale with those cores/threads.

This is how I felt about it; so I just bought a 6600k. Maybe by the time gains (hopefully) start to show, it'll be kaby lake time.

Point made about streaming etc.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jun 28, 2016

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Posted this in the overclocked thread, but asking in here cos y'all helpful.

Apart from core clocks, what are the advantages of raising cache / uncore clocks on a 6600k? Worth it?

I'm running DDR 4000 if that makes any difference. (4.4 @ 1.29v)

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I read many are hitting 4.5 at that voltage, at least in other forums I was reading. But I think it's pretty average for these. Not sure if the ram speed is limiting it, probably not helping.

It's keeping just over 60deg on the hottest core loaded so not heat.

My old sandy does that at 1.2v with way worse cooling.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

NihilismNow posted:

Maybe it is my motherboard but mine did 1.41 volt out of the box (6700k + Asrock Z170m Extreme 4). I have to run a -0.08 voltage offset to keep temps sane. It does 4.5 ghz stable at that voltage (1.33). At "stock" voltage it just cooks itself. Most of the time it is only running 0.7-0.8 volt.

Mine was similar too in default "auto" voltages, Asus z170i. It set a bunch of other voltages way high as well, like user agent / vccio, etc.

I fired it up at 4.4ghz, auto everything for the first boot after an install and it was giving the chip 1.45v vcore.

Due to a buggy Bios (I think), offset voltage wasn't working - adaptive mode did, just when I was regretting the whole thing and wondering if my sandy bridge would do 5GHz with this cooler. That was a lovely bug.

Wonder if this 14nm process is going to improve much?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 12, 2016

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Green Gloves posted:

I use the stock cooler/heatsink. Everything is pushed in snug and tight. I replaced the paste just recently because I upgraded my motherboard to use with a NZXT s340. I will check the fan setting

If you took the Intel cooler off and refitted it, that could be part of why it's hot - the push pins can get fucky and the clamping force goes to poo poo.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Palladium posted:

Old school mobos used to have the option to disable it as a loophole but now nobody offers that anymore.

Some do, the Asus z107i has spread spectrum disabled by default.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

My 2500k was relegated to office duty after upgrading to a 6600k two months ago for vive. I guess the 2500k system preferred gaming, as the board just died. RIP z77e-itx.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Avalanche posted:

(Hopefully this is the right place to post this, but am cross posting from the OC thread.)Temperature and overclocking question for you guys:

So I have this case + mobo (not my setup in pic but similar layout except for water cooling stuff):

I'm running an i7 6700 with a low profile Noctua NH-L9x65mm air cooler. The case can take up to an 85mm cooler.

I've been having some issues with temps getting up into the high 80s and low 90s when stress testing. At idle, temps are at 22-25C in "balanced" mode with windows and 37-40C when in "high performance" windows mode where the processor just runs at 4.2Ghz all the time. I've reapplied thermal paste multiple times and the temps are always in the same range. The low profile cooler seems to be the issue since reviews say it is just not good enough to really cool a 6700k especially if it is overclocked. If I OC to 4.5Ghz with 4.8Ghz turboboost, I easily get 100C temp spikes and throttling.

Temps in games are in the 60s-70s at stock speeds so that's good.

Any thoughts on what I can do to improve CPU cooling at this point that WOULD NOT involve going the water cooling route? I suppose I could mount a massive air cooler on the thing and just keep the side panel of the case off but that would look pretty awful.

Also, any thoughts on just buying a desk/room fan, popping off the side panel, and just blowing a metric fuckton of air into the case when I'm gaming and overclocking? I usually keep the side panel unscrewed anyways and take it off when gaming since I can get temps to go down by about 5C with the glass side panel off.

It's my fault for buying this case, but it is sturdy as gently caress, and I just really like it aesthetically.

How are you setting the voltages? Manually or auto?