Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nomenklatura posted:

Gaben must be dancing over this (before getting tired and eating another pizza...)

Hah, that gabe newell is one heavy-set dude, thats for sure. This is probably what he really does when he reads news like this. LOL :o)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
1156 has gpu-on-chip processors-- the dual core i3s and i5s.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
my experience is that a video card will tend to bottleneck most of the time except when under heavy load, where the CPU can frequently bottleneck. Most notably in the badly optimized new content in TF2. I had to overclock my c2d to 3ghz from 2.33 to get acceptable frame rates---not even great framerates on koth_viaduct. 9600gt video card, which should digest the game with medium settings at 1680x1050.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, this is kind of a lesson to buy all your parts at the same time. Even though you can wait a few weeks on different stuff and hop on the various sales that come up, it's a riskier way to go. Sandy Bridge guys, return your hardware and if you need need need a new system now then get the i5-750 and resell if you want when the new boards come out. Intel processors retain a lot of value because they don't put discounts on their old platforms. You'll get most of your money back reselling the old cpu and board. For gaming you will probably not even see a difference between the new and old platforms.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I was referring to the guys pitching a fit about not being able to buy a recalled motherboard. If you got the poo poo and it works than whatever floats your boat. It would be prudent to exchange it for whatever the manufacturer offers as a replacement when they become available though.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I can't think of any game that would get less than 60fps due to an i5-750 besides maybe the generational outlier that doesn't perform well maxed out on anything currently available (metro2033.) i5-750 doesnt get its rear end handed to it. 2 months ago it was like 98% as good for gaming as the most expensive desktop processors available.

also, yeah dude if you're gonna spend so much money why not give 3d a shot too? it probably rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
they might all be custom, though, because they use custom temperature sensors on their HDDs.