Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jumba
Sep 6, 2004

Hang in there!
Fun Shoe

blowfish posted:

lol

Thank god we only have to maintain the moderately expensive outdated stuff and not the super expensive outdated stuff in our own lab, we just pay an hourly rate to the university imaging centre for electron microscopy or go annoy some chemists to let us use their GC-MS and stuff. I will never stop cracking up about how the ~custom computers~ that cost tens of thousands of pounds to replace driving each of these are blatantly just HP shitboxes with an added PCI card to interface with the instrument.

I think the most advanced SEM in the world that isn't some custom built monstrosity (as of mid 2014 when it finally got bought to replace the win2000 driven piece of crap) runs on XP by the way.

Chances are the reason it runs on XP is that is the last OS that whatever custom PCI hardware cards they use don't work under Vista/7/8/10, and the source code to the hardware driver is long gone, so it's XP or nothing. Unless you can use very expensive software wrappers around it to fool it into working with a new OS. The company I work for sells similar equipment, and in many cases we're in the same boat. One system uses a custom PCI card that has drivers written for it in the Windows NT era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jumba
Sep 6, 2004

Hang in there!
Fun Shoe
Speaking of maintaining old systems in the face of progress, is it true that new Skylake processors reserve a significantly larger chuck of memory for hardware for 32-bit OS's than the predecessors from Intel? In a 32-bit OS environment (Windows 7/Windows 10) I'm used to seeing 3.4 Gb available out of 4. But on our new Skylake-CPU test systems w/32 bit Windows from Dell (64-bit OS is a no go due to legacy hardware drivers) it's only able to utilize 2 Gb out of 4.

jumba
Sep 6, 2004

Hang in there!
Fun Shoe

Lowen SoDium posted:

How much memory does your video card have?

It's not using a video card, but rather the built in video chip. The previous Dell's we used (Haswell, Ivy Bridge processors) also used the same setup (32 bit OS, built in video) with 4 Gb total memory and the system was still able to utilize 3.4 Gb of memory overall, rather than the 2 Gb I am seeing now with a Skylake processor. It could be that it's an issue specific to Dell, I was just curious if anyone else was running a 32-bit OS with Skylake and what kind of memory utilization they were seeing.

jumba
Sep 6, 2004

Hang in there!
Fun Shoe

jumba posted:

Speaking of maintaining old systems in the face of progress, is it true that new Skylake processors reserve a significantly larger chuck of memory for hardware for 32-bit OS's than the predecessors from Intel? In a 32-bit OS environment (Windows 7/Windows 10) I'm used to seeing 3.4 Gb available out of 4. But on our new Skylake-CPU test systems w/32 bit Windows from Dell (64-bit OS is a no go due to legacy hardware drivers) it's only able to utilize 2 Gb out of 4.

For anyone who cares about my old problem, it turned out that a recent BIOS update from Dell allowed 32-bit Windows systems to now see 3.33 Gb out of 4.00 Gb (which is about what is expected). So nothing bad about Skylake processors, just poor Dell BIOS drivers.

jumba
Sep 6, 2004

Hang in there!
Fun Shoe

movax posted:

Sounds like they adjusted the BIOS's calculation / adjustment of TOLUD (Top of Lower Upper DRAM) during its resource / memory map allocation, but my real question is, why are you stuck with a 32-bit OS? Some particular piece of software?

Yep, it's the software. I am spec'ing computers to run scientific instruments (some of which have hardware associated with it that is 20 years old!) that have specific hardware drivers which were never updated (and will never be updated) to support a 64-bit OS. My customers are lucky they're able to run a modern OS as it is, some of our older systems are still operating on Windows NT era PCs.