Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Is there anyone besides asus that is using the intel network adaptor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

^^^^^^ ATI has been ahead for roughly a year, with the average upgrade cycle probably being something like 3-5 years it looks about right

WhyteRyce posted:

Nice to see the P67 SATA ports outperforming the Mavell SATA 6Gbps solution. The AMD one too.

Kind of annoyed at how expensive those boards are though, but I guess that's cause I just have to have a board that uses the Intel GBE :(

What about the intel DP67BA? I'm thinking of getting that board, it has an intel gbit port, and is "cheap" compared to anything else with it. If you aren't planning on crossfire / SLI it might work.

According to http://techreport.com/articles.x/20190/13 you can overclock the locked chips by up to 400mhz, this is the first time I heard of that though, can anyone confirm?

Ika fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 6, 2011

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

E: nm

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

WhyteRyce posted:

The Techreport review said it was $6 cheaper than the Asus Pro

Techreview reviewed the G model: http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/motherboards/db-DP67BG/DP67BG-overview.htm

I'm refering to this one: http://www.intel.com/Products/Desktop/Motherboards/db-DP67BA/DP67BA-overview.htm
In europe its available for 110 euros. If it can overclock decently (I'm not looking for 5ghz, boosting turbo by 0.5ghz is fine) I'm going to try it.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Most of the boards I have used the boxed heatsink with end up visible warped due to the pressure from the heatsink, and looking at it edge on I could see the where the CPU socket was because the bottom of the board had a visible bump there.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

After my order was pushed back 2+ weeks, I picked up a 2500K locally. However everything inside the CPU box appeared to be flipped 180 degrees, which I noticed because the CPU wasn't fully visible. Has anyone else had this or did I get a return? (Seals were still fine, heatsink is unused, but I managed to open it without damaging the seals as well, and the inside of the cover flap had marks on it from the 2 inside flaps) .

And a completely different question, is there an easy way to duplicate my windows install onto a different drive so I dont have to reinstall both my new PC and my current one when I yank out the SSDs? Preferably a windows tool or freeware.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

^^^^^^^^^
I was a bit worried about someone having returned it because they tried to overclock it and fried it or were unsatisfied. The package was slightly torn which made me thing someone already opened it. But it its not just me with the backwards package I will assume its fine.

I know about the partition alignment stuff, although I dont think it matters when moving an install from a SSD to a HDD. I just was looking for freeware/trial version to clone the disc since my copy of acronis doesn't run under win7 :( I'll take a look at macrium. New key is no problem, but I would think I could keep the old key in the old install and use the new key for my new PC.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I just got my system together and bumped all turbo multipliers up to 41, didn't touch any voltages or thermal throttling etc, and it keeps on downclocking back to 3.8 or 3.7 when running prime. Temps are fine, do I maybe have to manually reduce the vcore or increase some of the short term turbo settings? (i5 2500K on a Intel DP67BA)

Ika fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jan 23, 2011

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Motherboard is Intel DP67BA, bios is the latest the autoupdater found. I have base multiplier and all 4 turbo multipliers @ 41, yet CPU-Z still shows it only going up to 3.9ghz, and it quickly drops down to 3.3. It seems like some of the options are just being flatout ignored.
I'll try RealTemp, but I doubt its the readings :(

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Yup, thats the version I'm using.

Overclocking wasn't my main goal with this build, but I just noticed that whenever I change values in the options page of the bios, the overview page has the values in the "default" column changed and not in "active"... so I'll just wait for a new bios version.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

afaik you might be able to do that under win2000 or XP, but starting with vista you can only have 1 display driver loaded at once.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I'd be surprised if the retailers hear about it before they happen to have sold any remaining stock.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

movax posted:

:confused: The only reason I could see for returning now is if you absolutely need those SATA ports provided by the chipset. Otherwise, it's perfectly reasonable to just wait for the RMA campaign to begin.

It has an estimated 15% failure rate for heavy usage for 3 years, it shouldn't be a problem to use the ports for 2 months, worst case they die early and you only have 2 left, which is where you are starting if you dont use em.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

mpeg4v3 posted:

Are there any mATX P67 motherboards out there that have UEFI, USB 3.0, SATA3, and an onboard Intel NIC? The closest I can see is the Asus P8P67-M Pro, but it's missing the Intel NIC. I guess I could always just buy an Intel PCI-E NIC if need be, but I'd rather not have to.

Intel DP67DE?

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

mpeg4v3 posted:

I always forget about the Intel boards. What's the overclocking like on it? From what I've been able to find, it apparently is not too easy to overclock anything on it.

I have the BA board, and it let me overclock the turbo multiplier, but not the base multiplier. It also is not possible to disable the autothrottle on the overclock, so it will throttle down after 10 minutes or so at turbo speeds. Other people have reported the exact same issue as well.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I'm replacing my intel board, and can either RMA it or sell it and get an asus p67 pro, do the asus boards really have alot of issues or do these just crop up when doing heavy overclocking, or are overrepresented due to the popularity of the board? The main reason I would switch boards is the additional internal SATA ports but its not a huge dealbreaker.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Some stores here are listing them as in stock as of noon today, I don't know whether they just wanna scalp preorders or are really shipping .

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Maybe its cheaper and the chips run cool enough without soldering for everything besides hardcore overclocking with their cheap heatsink so that they decide to save the money?

Still is strange that they would switch how the production line works, assuming they are using same line as for sandy bridge.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

E: nm, should read all new replys before posting.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Running a third monitor @ work using those.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Zhentar posted:

Aside from price (and probably cable durability as well), it's a lot easier to send power over copper.

But it can't be too hard to add copper for power to an optical cable.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

devil's canyon looks really tempting, I have a sandy bridge which is fine 95% of the time but with broadwell pushed back a year and presumably not going to be much faster, might not be worth waiting.

Its too bad Intel is out of the board business for good, I used to just grab one of their boards because they were always rock stable.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Has any info on the socket2011 CPUs been leaked yet? Knowing intel if you want something with 4ghz on that platform it'll cost twice what DC does.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Do you know if there will be DDR3 Haswell-E CPUs or will they all be DDR4?

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

But it probably won't work for long @ 1.8V.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

The first stores are starting to list it as in stock here. Whether it is truly shipping or they just are trying to catch preorders is anyones guess right now.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Yup, they had listed it as available on the 23rd a few days ago when I ordered. I haven't received a shipping confirmation yet.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

But you can just use memory mapping to hide your memory usage.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Cardboard Box A posted:

Holy crap that board is $210. Is it worth it for PWM support and that sweet red and black color scheme? Also what is that giant L-shaped thing surrounding the CPU?

Heatsink for the voltage regulators.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

They still haven't shipped mine, it was listed as in stock until tuesday and now sold out, never gonna order from them again. Anyone else had more luck?

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Mine is finally in the mail as well. Its been listed as in stock for two weeks.

I suppose the chance I can just continue using my P67 based windows install with the new chipset is virtually zero? Reinstalling all the dev tools I've got on here takes forever.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I've got an image of the system, copied my user files to my platter drive, and exported various settings, so I'll give it a try once the new parts arrive and let you guys know if it worked.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Turns out my SATA controller is still in RAID mode cause I used to have 2 80gb SSDs before I upgraded to Samsung. Safe mode boots but normal boot freezes, even if I switch to AHCI mode and enable the MSAHCI drivers. I am going to try uninstalling the intel drivers before rebooting to ensure they can't load, if that doesn't work, any other ideas?

E: Turns out its much simpler: to switch from old chipset RAID to current chipset AHCI: enable msahci, and enable the atapi driver the same way. Wish I had figured that out before completely nuking the OS and restoring from image, but maybe it will help someone else.

E2: Batch # is L3 31, which means its about a year old. Haven't had a chance to overclock it yet.

Ika fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jul 3, 2014

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Everytime I start prime95 to test my DC windows reports a powersurge on the USB devices; this is using default settings and not overclocking. I'm guessing its the PSU's fault but a 500watt enermax should be able to handle just the CPU. Has anyone else seen something similar?

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Midnight City posted:

I'm seeing conflicting info from places saying that the onboard video is disabled if you have a standalone GPU? Some are saying that instead of using the GPU it'll just use the onboard and save power, others are saying the opposite. Which is it?

edit: For a desktop

My Z97 board needed a bios update before onboard video worked together with a PCIe card. I now have one monitor on the board and one on the PCIecard, since my GPU is so old it can't clock down when it uses more than one output. I don't think the PCIe monitor can use the onboard GPU though.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

So apparently while the onboard graphics of Z97 are HDCP compliant, they don't do mpeg4 decoding.... yay.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Factory Factory posted:

Yes it does? What's the source?

Found it here while trying to find out why my blurays won't display via the integrated ports. Powerdvd diagnostics also say hardware decoding isn't working on just the monitor connected to the integrated ports.

E: And just to be clear, once I plug my second monitor directly into my discrete GPU it works fine, so it doesn't seem to be the cable.

Ika fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Oct 4, 2014

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I'm just as surprised as you guys, I expected it to work. I'm using the newest drivers off the intel site. If I switch the monitor on the onboard to primary I can't even play blurays on either monitor.

Its entirely possible that powerDVD just is coded absolutely horribly and is messing up the detection somewhere, considering how many other things it does badly. (Such as only adjusting global volume level instead of managing an internal volume level.) The compatibility tool still lists my radeon card even when its no longer primary, but then goes on to claim no hardware acceleration is available for decoding.

However I refuse to pay for a newer bluray player software just because of DRM and the companies not being bothered to keep their older versions working with current discs. I also am not sure how to check if its the player software or a driver issue.

Ika fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Oct 5, 2014

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

The Lord Bude posted:

I gave up on PowerDVD years ago when they started trying to cram as much bloatware into it as they possibly could, to the point when it became more advertising service than player software. Arcsoft Totalmedia theatre is much better.

I got an OEM version with my drive which is the only reason I use it. Upgrading that costs more than a new bluray drive. I really should just get the AACS passthrough working with VLC but I've been too lazy to compile it myself and don't trust the precompiled binaries off of random sites. But that's getting off topic.

E: vvvvvvv that explains why I couldn't even figure out how much that would cost.

Ika fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Oct 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

^^^^^^^^ Almost sounds like licensing issues, but that's just a random guess.

td4guy posted:

Try another piece of software.

Open an h.264 video file in MPC-HC. Right-click the video frame, go to Filters, and click on MPC Video Decoder. It should show some sort of DXVA in use. That's the video hardware decoding.

In MPC's Options -> Internal Filters, all the DXVA filters should be enabled there

I'm only seeing a "LAV Video Decoder" option in the filter list, and can select quicksync, DXVA2, etc there. They all support H264/MPEG2/DVD etc decoding, and none of them support MPEG-4. Playback takes up 1% CPU so something definitely is doing the hardware decoding, but I am not sure which GPU. I had the integrated one as primary while testing.

Ika fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Oct 5, 2014