Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Panty Saluter posted:

What cooler are you using? I could always buy another Hyper 212 but that's kinda boring :o:

I've got the same cpu running at 4.4 with a NH-U12S after several prime95 and ibt runs its fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Stupid question, I should be able to run a 5820k and a 1070 on a good 550w seasonic psu at std clocks right?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Hmmm it's about 4 years old and I wouldn't mind giving it a bit of an oc at some point so I guess I should get a 650w or a 700w one.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Now I don't feel too bad buying a friends 5820K for cheap a few months ago.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Don Lapre posted:

If the 6 core can hit 5ghz im selling my 5820k setup

I'd rather keep my nice soldered heatspreader, more pci-e lanes and no weird thermal spikes thanks.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

craig588 posted:

I hope the FUD causes people to dump 6900Ks and pushes the prices down even further. I'm still pretty sure that's going to be my next CPU. They're already at 500 dollars from 1000 dollars last year.

Yeah I wouldnt mind a panic sold 6900k to replace my 5820k either.....

No bios update for my asus broadwell-e era x99 board yet.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Kinda tempted to replace my x99 setup with an x299 now that the skylake-x refresh is soldered. evga make a nice matx board that would do a great job of replacing the nice asus ws one I have.

Or I could just buy a cheap 5960x

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

craig588 posted:

I took a gamble and got a 5820K. It really paid off because apps I use are just starting to use 6 cores and 5960Xs are getting cheap and I'll get one of those once I start using apps that use 8 cores. Broadwells are still expensive but they overclock poorly and end up costing like 200$ more for the same performance. 5960Xs can be had for as little as 300$ now.

I'm in the same situation, I keep looking at 6900K's and 5960x's but does broadwell-e really OC worse? I did also read that the Haswell-E equivalent Xeons also have unlocked multipliers but thats just going of some forum post.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

HalloKitty posted:

I very much recall people at the time saying broadwell didn't overclock as well as haswell.

That's a shame I was hoping I could get slightly less power hungry (lol at worrying about power usage running a HEDT chip and a Vega64) cpu with a broadwell-e one

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

craig588 posted:

Silicon Lottery had a tray of 5960xs and 6900ks and the 6900ks overclocked much worse https://siliconlottery.com/pages/statistics

Wow only 35% are able to do 4.4ghz which is what I have my 5820K clocked to at around 1.100vcore

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

craig588 posted:

That's something else I could pursue. I run it at 4.3 GHz because that keeps it below 70C. When I'm ready to buy a new processor I'll try moving it to 4.7 GHz which seems stable but hits 90C.

I've got my 5820k at 4.5 on the wonky version of the D15 because it's in a matx build, I don't think I see above 70C unless I do stress tests. Only thing I can't get working is the XMP profile for my memory, if I turn it on I seem to lose the ability to run any sort of OC on the cpu so my memory is stuck at 2400mhz. Every time I look at ram oc it confuses the hell out of me and video tutorials just seem to be slamming in settings arbitrarily without explaining what everything does.

I was looking at the new ryzen stuff but yeah it looks like I'll just buy a second hand 5960x instead, it's a shame the broadwell-e stuff doesn't overclock as well as I'd much prefer to move to a slightly newer platform at least.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I might have to try that, what setting are you increasing the voltage on?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

craig588 posted:

On my Asus X99 they call it DRAM voltage.

Cool should be the same on my board then, maybe I can finally get my ram to run at 3200mhz!

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

DrDork posted:

5820k for life!

I bought a used 5820k and an asus x99 ws board and its been the best build ive had. Wouldnt mind one of those haswell-e 8 core xeons but the chepest one is in the us and it adds a huge shipping cost onto it.

I've seen second hand 5960x's go for around £200 but then thats inline in price with some of the modern ryzen stuff. Although maybe if they drop a bit more in price.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Managed to snag a cheap E5 1660 v3 to upgrade from my 5820K, these things definitely overclock right? Although I dunno when I can be bothered to do it as I've got an matx x99 setup thats kinda a pain to work on. I've still got a bigger nvme drive thats sat for a year because I just can't be bothered to pull the entire thing apart haha.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Kinda tempted to go for the 11900k to replace my matx 5820K setup, I was tempted with a ryzen 5000 but you have an option of like 2 matx amd boards. Wheras there are always more options on Intel.

I should just get a normal atx case lmao

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Cygni posted:

they both suck, bring back slot 1/slot a

I can’t remember how I got it but I had an adapter board for slot a that let you put a non slot PIII chip in it. I had it in some hand me down IBM desktop machine. Alongside the matrox gpu, that was my first start with pc gaming.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Yeah it was one of those, I remember it having a fan that went on top of the cpu I think? But I definitely didn't use any thermal paste, either I didn't know or it wasn't a thing?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Has anybody had any luck with those chineese X99 motherboards?

I managed to kill the board in my secondary system, which was running a 5820K and then a 1660-V3.

Second hand prices for actual known boards are insane and the actual board I bought (Asus WS matx) is selling for 400 quid.

It would be nice just to be able to buy a new board to slap into the system but those boards seem kinda janky from what I’ve seen.

Or I could just go with a 5800X3D/b550, still use all the other bits and just get a regular atx case that isn’t a massive pain to work in.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

HalloKitty posted:

I'd say it's not worth throwing more money at such an old system, you'll find plenty of benefits with a newer one beyond just (massively improved) performance and power efficiency, such as NVMe support

x99 does have NVMe though! But yeah part of me doesn’t want to spend a lot of money on getting a system from 2014 working again.

I mean the 1660v3 wasn’t terrible, as it was an 8 core 16 thread part. It even had unlocked multipliers so I was able to run 4.5ghz all core. If I could get something for like 100 quid that was reliable and that would fit into this stupid matx case. Rather than spending like 500 on cpu/board/case then I dunno.

DoombatINC posted:

They are super janky but from what I've seen it's totally possible to build something reasonably functional from one if you know the ins and outs

Miyconst on youtube reviews wildcat LGA 2011 boards and checks their capabilities pretty thoroughly, if you need an information resource

Ah thats great I’ll have a look and see if it’s actually worth getting one of these.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

If I were you, I'd totally get a $100 motherboard from Aliexpress just to see what would happen.

Well after skimming a few of that dudes videos it doesn’t seem worth it. Half the time the board has some other random chipset like q87 so no overclocking. Also most of them are DDR3 and not even quad channel. So I can’t even carry over the ram from the broken system.

Couldn’t find a single matx one that had ddr4 support like x99 should have.

The reviews on amazon for one of the machinist matx boards is horrific. Crashes, usb port issues, dead dimm slots. Yeah I think I’ll just leave that system dead for a bit longer and just go for newer stuff.

track day bro! fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Is your case that weird? mATX is standard and there are ton of new platform mATX motherboards. You could keep the case.

At least at one point here in the US MicroCenter was running a mobo+3600 combo for like $129. Obviously that doesn't apply to the UK but I bet you could get CPU and mobo for cheap if you look around for 12th gen intel or AM4 stuff.

The case is from the early 2010’s and has the motherboard sitting horizontally. Which at the time I thought was neat but it’s a pain when you need to do anything with compared to my other system which is in a modern fractal atx case. Also it’s not much smaller than an atx mid tower and the psu clearance is terrible.

It was also covered in that soft touch plastic which pretty much turned into sticky goo, but that was solved with some IPA.

The ram kit in that system is also a 4 stick one because x99 is quad channel and most of the cheaper matx boards now only have two slots.

TLDR anyway I’ll just try and build something modern that I can use as much as I can from the old system. Not hugely important anyway as it was sitting broken for months before I bothered to figure out what was wrong.

Just never touching these aliexpress motherboards as I’ve got no patience for jank