Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Kazinsal posted:

I wonder how soon we're going to start seeing Moore's Law degrading rapidly as the number of transistors per square inch we can increase successive die generations by approaches "zero, unless you like massive electron migration and quantum tunneling". Is 10nm going to be it? IIRC you start to see gnarly quantum tunneling happening at that point.

Moore's original paper had a forecast horizon of 10 years. For the last 50 years, the industry leaders (including Intel) have said that they had line of sight to continue Moore's Law for the next 10 years, but no idea beyond that. All throughout, analysts have been predicting the death of Moore's law.
I haven't heard Intel announce or say anything that indicates they don't have line of sight to Moore's Law over the next 10 years.

I mean, before immersion lithography was developed some people thought that sub 65nm was never going to work. And there are papers that were published 10 years ago saying that EUV probably wouldn't be able to work in a high volume setting so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Krailor posted:

Zen is name for AMD's new chip architecture that is scheduled to be released in 2016.

The only way Intel puts out anything better than the 4 core (8 thread) i7 that they've been doing would be if a comparably priced 6+ core (12+ thread) Zen chip had an actual measurable performance difference in several AAA games. Even then it would be a long shot since they'd have the 6+ core Broadwell-E line to compare against.

You sure about that? I bet that performance in AAA games is irrelevant for 95%+ of laptops and desktops sold.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Gwaihir posted:

(Games are not the performance needle, sorry :saddowns: )

Which is why a big jump in integrated graphics is meaningful in the market, because 75%+ of users don't use a discrete GPU.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

go3 posted:

Tablets are totally gonna replace computers too

Can't tell if sarcastic, but for digital content consumption, tablets/phones are pretty much there already.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Some in the thread have asked before about a quick overview of semiconductor manufacturing. Intel's website has a good powerpoint that illustrates a high level overview.
http://download.intel.com/newsroom/kits/chipmaking/pdfs/Sand-to-Silicon_22nm-Version.pdf

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I cringe every time someone says foils here.

:agreed:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Since we sometimes chat about the tech aspects of silicon manufacturing, here's a short series of clips from Intel on some subsets of manufacturing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB5iWzsztdc&list=PLk2sjg_-F-MdmK3dNoiIvtLeoRkWiCM_-&index=1

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Tab8715 posted:

What the hell does is other?
edit:

Our operating segment results shown above are comprised of the following:

quote:

Client Computing Group : Includes platforms designed for the notebook (including Ultrabook™ devices), 2 in 1 systems, the desktop (including all-in-ones and high-end enthusiast PCs), tablets, and smartphones; wireless and wired connectivity products; as well as mobile communication components.

Data Center Group : Includes server, network, and storage platforms designed for enterprise, cloud, communications infrastructure, and technical computing segments.

Internet of Things Group : Includes platforms designed for embedded market segments including retail, transportation, industrial, and buildings and home, along with a broad range of other market segments.

Software and services operating segments : Includes software and hardware products for endpoint security, network and content security, risk and compliance, and consumer and mobile security from our McAfee business, and software products and services that promote Intel architecture as the platform of choice for software development.

All other category includes revenue, expenses, and charges such as:

results of operations from our Non-Volatile Memory Solutions Group and New Devices Group;

amounts included within restructuring and asset impairment charges;

a portion of profit-dependent compensation and other expenses not allocated to the operating segments;

divested businesses for which discrete operating results are not regularly reviewed by our CODM;

results of operations of start-up businesses that support our initiatives, including our foundry business; and

acquisition-related costs, including amortization and any impairment of acquisition-related intangibles and goodwill.

A substantial majority of our revenue is generated from the sale of platforms. Platforms incorporate various components and technologies, including a microprocessor and chipset, a stand-alone SoC, or a multichip package. Our remaining primary product lines are incorporated in "other."

So it sounds like Other is probably mostly SSD dollars

canyoneer fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 16, 2015

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

The silliest marketing naming thing they still do is "nth Generation Core" processor. I get that Core is the brand, but within tech journalism/enthusiast they always refer to the product generation by the internal codename.

And it's sort of bizarre to use a generic, industry term as a key word in your branding. Core means something already in semiconductor parlance, why make that the backbone of your branding instead of a made-up word? (like Pentium!)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generic_trademark

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

My room collects a ridiculous amount of dust for the airflow it gets (not much) which might not help for fans that have sleeve bearings exposed. I have a shop-vac in my room for this reason.

If you're using that shopvac to clean the fans, that would explain why your fans are failing at an abnormal rate.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Reading r/amd and there are people who believe that there is a supar-sekret version of Zen will come with 16GB of HBM2 and have 8 cores and 16 threads running at 5GHz and you can overclock it to 7GHz and it has onboard graphics as fast as Fury X and it's only going to be $250 and Intel will finally get what they deserve!

AMD is just keeping it under wraps because reasons!

Now we know where all the kids in elementary school who had uncles that worked for Nintendo went.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

DrDork posted:

Include one-time-use "companion codes" to access online quizzes, and you can continue making 40-50% of the original book's price for no further effort every god damned year!

Don't forget that the "companion codes" also make the instructor's job pretty low-effort as well. Exploited with great success in undergrad courses, instead of making the grad student slaves grade all the assignments the way our founding fathers intended. :eng101:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Kerbtree posted:

So, upgrade question:
I've currently got an i3-2100, I can get an i5-2500t rather cheap. would I see a noticeable improvement in doing a drop-in replacement, or should I bank the cash to hasten a full board & chip swap further down the line?

Unless "cheap" means "free", don't do it.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

JawnV6 posted:

It's less cleverness than you'd think. A gig of L1 would be SSD's all over again.

I thought that more cache = bigger die = way more expensive?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I remember the cool thing was to use Windows 2000, even past the point where XP was pretty good.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

NUCs are also used in retail and signage for that very reason. Pop one on the back of a TV and you're good to display whatever

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

So I've been planning on replacing my dinosaur media PC with a skylake NUC, but I found this in an amazon review.

http://nucblog.net/2016/04/skylake-i3-and-i5-nuc-whea-errors/

Anyone heard anything else about that?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

necrobobsledder posted:

Last I saw that would push OEMs into Microsoft Tax territory since the lower RAM machines were qualified for bulk Windows licensing at stupidly-cheap rates rather than the 4GB tablet style models. Unless MS has relented I don't see how they could keep costs down to make this work for the market. Laptop / PC sales are just plain down for years and years now and even tablets are hardly moving and have hit market saturation point it appears.

I'd blame the decline of tablets on the rise of phones with bigger screens.

If netbooks can succeed as a product category, I can't let myself be surprised about any weird product succeeding

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

mmkay posted:

Something I've been wondering for a while - how many Intel employees are on SA?

I know of at least 4 who post in SHSC and BFC

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/4j15bs/were_the_intel_team_behind_the_new_skull_canyon/

Some Intel dudes went onto Reddit for a Q&A session on Skull Canyon. Because it's Reddit 80% of the comments and questions are "Well, I wouldn't buy this and don't think anyone would, why isn't it $200?"

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

https://www.nrdc.org/experts/pierre-delforge/california-energy-commission-proposes-new-efficiency-standards-will-cut

Very soon, power draw in desktop chips will actually matter!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Build all your PCs naked

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

fishmech posted:

It reminds me of when, back in 2006 as Apple was breaking out of their lowest share of the computer market since 1977 (they'd dropped to around 2% in the last part of the PowerPC era), they started putting out press releases of how they were growing faster than the Windows PC market!!

And it's like, yeah, it's easy to post very good percentage growth when you're finally crawling out of rock bottom!

This is the year of the Linux desktop

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

CPUs are quite inexpensive in terms of materials and fabrication cost, no? I thought it was on the order of $20 each.

I don't think so.
Intel's gross margin is in the low 60% range, meaning their cost of goods sold is in the high 30% range of revenue.
On average, a part selling for $200 (wholesale) would cost $60ish or so in materials/fabrication cost. Of course, they've got different profit margins across different product lines, probably some with margins above 60% and probably some below 60%.

That's not even considering what it costs to invent, develop, market, sell, and support the product, which is about another half of the gross profit.

http://www.intc.com/results.cfm

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I understand that building PCs and keeping up with it is a neverending treadmill of money for upgrades, but monitors are probably the longest lasting part of a PC. I'm using a 1080p 24" Dell monitor that I bought ~7 years ago and I'm horrified that someone would use something worse. It was probably only $150 or $200 at the time.

This is coming from someone who replaced his 27" CRT TV 4 years ago with a 42 inch LCD, and got his first smartphone 8 months ago. :psyduck:

priznat posted:

I don't know if I can hold off til Skylake-X/Kaby Lake-X to upgrade from my 2500k. Not because anything needs more cpu HP, just because I want something new and exciting.

:same:
Except it's a 3700k that I'd be upgrading from. I barely even play video games anymore either, so there is zero reason for me to upgrade. Even if I did, upgrading my GPU would be the smarter move

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

priznat posted:

I have a lenovo work laptop and I always forget to use the pointer thingie.

Well, it can be hard to find.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Intel's earnings call has some neat stuff in it. They say they expect to ship the 3D X Point "Optane" SSDs by the end of the year.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

ZobarStyl posted:

Has there been any details about the form factor or compatibility of Optane? I really don't want to sidegrade from Skylake to Kaby Lake for storage alone.

Not that I've heard but this

BIG HEADLINE posted:

They're almost certainly going to be the things only of multimedia workstations and trust fund enthusiasts at first, though. Wouldn't shock me in the least if the only board you'll be able to use them on at the enthusiast level will be a special trim of the X99's successor.

is probably going to be the case. I have no idea if we'll even see the Optane stuff outside of the data center in 2016

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

JnnyThndrs posted:

212 Evo is way quieter than the stock Intel unit, especially when the fans ramp up.

Yep. Bigger fans don't need to spin as fast to move the same volume of air.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

SuperDucky posted:

Doesn't work that way in the military and embedded market, bub.

:agreed:

There are customers still buying ancient Pentium 3 era processors to put in stuff like a gerzillion dollar scanning electron microscope, ultraspecialized custom equipment or fleets of slot machines because it's still way cheaper to buy the obsolete junk at a premium than to upgrade.

It's funny to hear about what still gets made and sold.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Otakufag posted:

Guys I just want to ask if going from a 1080p 60hz monitor to a 1440p 144hz g-sync one feels like having sex with Candice Swanepoel k thanks bye.

You might have some trouble finding the g-sync

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

The Slack Lagoon posted:

He's using avid Media composer.

I'll recommend that but it's not likely he wants to go for that. He is really odd about wanting TOP TIER future proofing. Tired to explain that's not a thing.

He originally wanted the 6900 but I shut that down.

Give your friend 4 options. Have the first be hella-spensive Saudi prince level.
Have the second one be the right one.
Have the third and fourth be a little too cheap or underpowered, or a used workstation.

He will then buy the second one and feel good about it.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

FWIW, Intel also insists that TSMC/Samsung/GloFo 7nm is actually more like Intel's 10nm by every measurement in all but name.

So saying that the others will "beat" Intel to 7nm needs a few asterisks and accompanying small print

Edit: source
http://semiengineering.com/10nm-race-heats-up/

canyoneer fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Nov 21, 2016

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

HalloKitty posted:

Duron especially, think Durex

But hey, doesn't matter now

As to those who think "Ryzen" is a poo poo name, I say.. gently caress it, we'll get used to it, and it really doesn't matter

People made fun of the iPad's name a LOT pre-release, but you never heard anyone giggling at it after like, 2 months post-release.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Product segmentation is actually a good thing for customers. If a product ranges from $200 to $800 in price across all the different SKUs and the company wants to get $400 on average for each product, they can charge everyone $400 for the same product with all features enabled, or they can charge a range based on included features.

If the company can create a SKU with certain features excluded and sell it for less than $400, customers who don't care about or wouldn't use the excluded features are better off, because from their perspective they've paid less for what is to them an identical product. Customers who want all the premium features would rather get it for $400 than $800, but there aren't as many of them.

Here's an analogy:
You're invited to dinner at a restaurant with 9 friends, and you order a $3 lemonade and a $8 salad.
One or two people at the table order an appetizer, steak, two cocktails and a dessert, $60 on the menu. The total bill for the table is $400, and the restaurant has a policy that if multiple cards are being used, they can only split the bill evenly among the cards (these are all people who don't carry cash)
How does paying $40 sound to the people who ordered $11 worth of food? What about for people who ordered $60 worth of food?
Next week, the three people who ordered the cheapest stuff (in the $11-15 range, and thus overpaid the most) decline the invitation, and now 7 diners are splitting a $350 bill. Now the bill split evenly is $50 each, and the average that everyone is paying has gone up as well as reducing the restaurant's business.
What used to be a good deal for the people ordering $60 worth of stuff has become less of a good deal, but the deal is still bad for people who ordered less than $50 on the menu.

In this analogy, the restaurant and most of it's customers get a bad deal because of the restaurants stupid policy, and they're losing customers. The customers who leave are unhappy because the experience of the food and companionship was worth more to them than $11, but less than $40.

The $150 Pentiums are the low margin, happy hour specials priced as street fighters against AMD chips in the same range. They would sell dramatically fewer chips to those customers if they sold only a single SKU at $400.
If they sold that mono-SKU $400 chip to customers accustomed to spending $800 on those parts, they're not going to sell much more volume to those customers in order to make up the difference for the lost Pentium customers. They're pretty much saturated in volume, and are going to laugh all the way to the bank.
(I'm going to ignore differences in manufacturing costs here too, because they're actually significant. Server product dies take up way more space on a wafer than desktop/mobile products. Also, if you have two particle defects on a wafer that would kill the die, it's a much bigger yield loss if you've killed two of the few dozen server dice on the wafer compared to killing two dice on a wafer with hundreds of dice)

Segmentation is actually a really good thing.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

evilweasel posted:

This is highly debatable economically. Without going into a long and boring discussion of surplus value, it's easy to see that the value of product segmentation depends where you sit on the spectrum of how much you're willing to pay. Product segmentation results in the top end paying more and the low end paying less. It is good if you're on the low end, bad if you're on the high end. For people in the middle, it can often be a bad thing because otherwise you'd get more features at the same price.

It is a fairly natural outgrowth though of extremely high capital costs + very low individual unit production marginal costs (which describes both software and chip-making like Intel does).

Yeah. It works great in microprocessors because customers who feel like they're paying too much don't have very many other meaningful external substitutions. The low-end stuff is priced to be a good value against competitive offerings, and on the higher end the good stuff is just so much better than the competitor's stuff.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

DrDork posted:

I don't think anyone is honestly arguing that allowing for chip harvests into lower lines is bad, since it lowers prices for literally everyone. There are absolutely people annoyed that they can't get a CPU that hits some specific subset of desires not currently available (usually cheap + medium power + ECC/vt-d for servers that can't justify a full Xeon), but I'm pretty sure they're in the minority.

I think no one would be bitching about segmentation at all if Intel had been putting out anything resembling compelling new desktop products since the 2500k.

Enthusiasts complain about it in literally every market, including pricing strategies through unbundling. That's because they anchor their pricing expectations on the low end sku, but their desired features on a more deluxe one.

Truck enthusiasts complain that they can't get the tow package on the lowest trim, and that they have to pay for a factory premium audio system that they're going to rip out and replace anyway.
Phone enthusiasts complain that the cheapest phone in a lineup (starting at $499!) has a worthless 16gb of storage, and the manufacturer charges an extra $100 to spend an incremental $8 on flash to upgrade to 32gb.
Guitar enthusiasts complain that having the factory upgrade the pickups in the instrument costs twice as much as buying them separate aftermarket and doing it themselves.

:capitalism:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Backing up data on non redundant RAID setups seems like as good an idea as backing up the Marines with poison gas

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-06-09/how-intel-makes-a-chip

There's a cool article that's new to me, about Intel's manufacturing and design process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

EoRaptor posted:

If intel hadn't chose to put Kaby Lake out as a new brand, and instead we got ultra low power skylake cpu's for laptops and desktops, nobody would have noticed or commented on it.

Well, the brand that's not a brand, because they get all weird about using codenames on external marketing stuff. It's not Skylake, it's 6th Generation Intel Core processors :mad: