Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

theclaw posted:

That's ... freaking scary. It also doesn't exist on Ark, which would normally lead me to believe that it doesn't actually exist. Except that this EPSD product naming guide on Intel's own site (PDF) mentions it, as well as many of the other server boards that Ark acknowledges. Weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

FISHMANPET posted:

I guess it shouldn't be a surprise that they were going to make chips for a 4-way system, but I am shocked that they're fitting it all on one level. You could potentially jam that into a 1U, right? 32 cores, 64 threads in a 1U? Now you're starting to get into SPARC territory.

There are 4-proc 1Us available right now, like systems based on the Supermicro X8QBE-F motherboard, though the notes I have here say that any processors with a TDP greater than about 95W are "potentially not thermally viable" in 1Us. That board is also only for the previous generation, so 10 cores per processor at best.

The last 4-proc machine I saw from Intel was a 4U affair that packed all four processors up front and then used memory risers in the back. Their previous generation 8-proc machine uses dual processor CPU/memory risers.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

FISHMANPET posted:

So I'm trying to figure out the difference between E5-2600 and E5-2400.

Intel's ARK site can be useful here.

Here's a comparison between the E5-2609, E5-2603, E5-2407 and E5-2403. The E5-2600s have two QPI links, support twice the memory and have one additional memory channel which yields more memory bandwidth.

They're also a different socket type.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Zoom Shroom posted:

Ah well I have to keep it at 65W or under you see.

I found one but it costs $330 including shipping, tax, handling, CC surcharge etc. I want that HD4000 but I don't $100-extra-want it. :negative:

Unfortunately the closest you're going to get to something Ivy Bridge with a TDP of 65W is going to be the i3-3225 (dual-core + hyperthreading) at about $130 or the i7-3770S (quad+HT), at about $305.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

necrobobsledder posted:

I can only imagine how much backlash all the system integrators / OEMs could give Intel because this basically forces them into really close relationships with Intel.

I work for an integrator. We don't mind having a close relationship with Intel. We like Intel. We do mind having a close relationship from our main motherboard vendor. If we have to start relying on that vendor to provide us a unified motherboard and CPU for our systems, we're going to be very, very unhappy.

Thankfully most of our business is in the server & HPC market, and the rumor only seems to be about SoCs. Unless all Broadwell processors are going to be SoCs, I'm pretty sure that this is a non-issue.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
Not to mention the Pentium G850, a dual-core non-HT processor with HD 2000 graphics, the only one in the Pentium line to do so. It's basically i3 performance at 2/3 of the price. Around the office we're pretty sure that it's just an i5 with two dead cores.

I really hope we see that trend continuing.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Factory Factory posted:

The current Atoms are getting new SKUs optimized for NAS - 40 PCIe lanes and hardware RAID on an SoC. :circlefap: Atom S12x9 are the model numbers to look for.
Hardware RAID? Chances are that it'll just be an on-chip edition of Matrix/RST, which I personally don't have a problem with, but some people hate. That or it'll be that low-end RAID product licensed from LSI, like most of Intel's other RAID gear.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

movax posted:

quote:

Any word on Haswell Xeons yet?

Not going to happen for a long while yet, don't hold your breath.

They might not be "real" Xeons, but the Haswell E3-1200 v3 series is also to be available on the 4th.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Chuu posted:

What makes these fake?

It's not so much "fake" as effectively being rebadged i7s as far as performance goes, from my understanding.

quote:

Anyone know if any of the Z87 motherboards support ECC with an E3?

If so, it'd be a new thing. I haven't seen ECC support in any consumer-oriented Intel boards in ... ever?

Supermicro has a line of single-proc server (== ECC) boards ready to go for launch, the X10SLA, SLH, SLL and SLM. I think I'm under NDA still, so I can't endorse the accuracy of anything on that site outside of their SKU decoder ring.

McGlockenshire fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Jun 2, 2013

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

fatman1683 posted:

Anyone heard anything about the Xeon E3-1265L V3? It's listed as 'released' on Ark, but I can't find anywhere that's actually selling it.

Take a look at the "Recommended Customer Price." It's a tray-only proc, not available for direct consumer purchase. Our distributor backend bits say that nobody's currently keeping it stocked anyway...

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

atomicthumbs posted:

are four 80mm fans really enough to dissipate 1.08 kilowatts of computing power heat

Server-grade 80mm fans can push some serious air. Loudly.

fakedit: ^^ Good demonstration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
Is there any reliable word on when we can expect to see the first Skylake tablets?