Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe
Question:

Sandy/Ivy saw gains in power more than efficiency.

Haswell brought gains in efficiency, more so than power.

I read somewhere (maybe this thread), that the "core ix" series is an evolution of the Pentium III architecture. If that's true, is the recent power ceiling a result of the architecture reaching its upper limit of power optimization?

Is there any recourse? Or is the architecture in fact the pinnacle of Intel's research into consumer chips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe
I didn't want to venture in overclocking with my statement. I have a 3770k myself, and I am leaving it alone until I think I might need a squeeze of juice to keep my rig alive. Call me wasteful, but I got it for a huge discount, and I don't think I can justify OCing it while its default settings is more than enough power for the next two years.

Thanks for translating for me. You answered my question exactly. I heard "Haswell has 10% performance gains over Ivy-bridge" and never looked back at Sandy-B or otherwise. I see that that was a very respectable increase. Also the when you put it like this:

Factory Factory posted:

dual-core 8W-max, 4.5W average tablet all the way to a 15-core, ~130W high-performance server chip

I can understand what a marvel it is. I was worried about 14nm, but now I am looking forward to it.

P.N.T.M. fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Oct 24, 2013

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe
It depends on what Apple cares about. I'd like to think Apple cares more about its image than anything else, but they surely don't. What Apple seems to really care about is: "There shall be no waste."

Primarily,

No waste of space.

No waste of power.

They've cut their product lines down to 6 categories. The Mac Pro is a re-envisioned work-station for the 21st century. The MBP is an expensive solution unto itself. The MBA is Apple's idea of what a normal person's laptop should be, and the iMac is their desktop solution. The iPhone and iPad are obviously the phone and tablet offerings.

What could ARM bring to Apple? More market share when prices get a sliver taken off, increased control through in-house specs for all processors, and better offerings in the future as they further develop their own technology. Right now, they have to reserve space and energy to power Intel's hardware, which must have recently become too much overhead for Apple to accept.

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe
People have had a lot of fun with the new Pentiums, maybe build a computer for a relative?

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe
I'm wondering if ya'll can help me visualize my situation at the moment. I've got a 3770K clocked at 4.7 turbo (4/8 cores), and I'm looking to take a leap forward by the end of the year. I do video editing, so anything new at this point would be an upgrade. Is that correct? I'm considering an i7-69xx model just to take that big step. Should I consider Xeons instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe

Riflen posted:

As someone who just moved from a i5 3570k @ 4.6 to x99 and 6900k @ 4.4, I would say Broadwell-E or HEDT in general is your best bet if you want to buy new. Haswell-E is still good, will save you some cash and can overclock more readily than Broadwell-E.

mobby_6kl posted:

A couple of 8-core Xeons off ebay would probably give you better performance/$, and of course you could go with new ones if you hate money. Though anything from the 69xx line would be a significant improvement as well, of course.

I like to think whatever I buy will be outdated tomorrow, so might as well buy what I need now and not worry about what the road maps tell me.

Thanks to the two of you. I'm going to chew on this and start looking at price points.