Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

DVI cables seem to have this quality where even when they're oriented correctly they still need a couple of tries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Looking at the motherboard size constraints could also be an issue.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Wccftech is the Daily Mail of tech news.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

El Scotch posted:

I dare say that unless Zen can make Intel sweat, they will have little compulsion to put out a general hex-core. :/

However outside of rendering, movie editing and other easily broken up tasks it's not useful at all. DX12 and gaming is not at all close to being multithreaded since it's super difficult to make (I am told).

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Rakeris posted:

As there been any release date set for skylake yet? I was planning on building a new PC when it comes out, hope it doesn't get delayed.

What exactly are you planning that requires Skylake specifically except for raging nerd-boners.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm really hoping for some nice chipset features on Z170. I'm still not sure if I should refresh my Phenom 2 & DDR2 machine now, or keep waiting for Skylake like I was planning. All that I seem to lose by waiting is $30 that I'll have to spend for DDR4 vs DDR3.

Would you please, for the audience, list these nice features you'll be gaining by waiting?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

It depends on ambient temperatures. If you live in Alaska I'd be worried, in Texas I'd also be worried but not because of the higher temperatures.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Are there any thunderbolt pci-e cards available that don't need a thunderbolt header on the motherboard? Or are thunderbolt in a weird limbo of not being successful but backed by billions of dollars.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

El Scotch posted:

Broadwell seems like a footnote to anyone but laptop OEMs at this point.

Laptop OEMs = Litereally half the market if not more.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

It says preliminary data in the top right corner. Might as well say 'wishful thinking'.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Even the Intel thread is hoping that AMD's Zen is worth a poo poo :allears:

Everyone is hoping this since treating huge international companies like they were sports teams to be rooted for is a very unhelpful exersize.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I think laptops that can be used for 10 hours strait and still be portable as pretty amazing.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

5. Power efficiency is more valuable than single core performance.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

That exact scenario would actually break their contract with Intel.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Question: Is it possible to bottleneck current sky lake processors in games? This is of course assuming enthusiasts is just a synonym for high end gamers.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Mid tier CPUs are cheap. Hell all Intel chips are cheap. If you want high end over the top idiocy give ibm a call.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

DrDork posted:

Mid-tier CPUs aren't egregious, but they're certainly padded with pretty fat margins (and far fatter than in years past) because Intel has the luxury of being a defacto monopoly on everything north of "poo poo box" in the desktop market, and everything north of "Walmart special" for laptops. IBM meanwhile operates in a segment where cost-per-chip is almost irrelevant.

Is price per IPC really that bad now? I think you'll find that prices for processing power has dropped and dropped. Before you reply with the factual data remember to factor in inflation.

Edit: If you want to compile a dataset I'll be more than willing to analyze it for you. I feel pretty confident it'll show processors improving a rapid pace.

champagne posting fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Sep 3, 2015

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Does UE4 use as many threads as possible? I'm thinking Xeon.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Don Lapre posted:

Kids being brought up with google docs and Chromebooks are probably more likely to keep using those products as they get older.

Unlikely as keeping work projects opsec in google docs is a cloud nightmare and the bad dream of any and every IT professional working with it.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

"The limiting factor is how much power you can get in the building," Gavrielov of Xilinx said.

Limit not actual, power that can enter a building is much higher than datacenter use.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Skandranon posted:

They also don't need to soundly defeat Intel in any specific performance metric, as they can also seriously compete on cost/core.

This is not a metric you even bother looking at when designing servers that run 24/7. Perfromance per watt is still king and this is unlikely to change.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

A Bad King posted:

It's the embedded market.

Why not bench it against an embedded Intel chip?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

The ghost of processors future which will save AMD.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

It's really nice to look at when working. Media consumption and games, eh it'll be a while before those are in play.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

evilweasel posted:

do they have decent drivers for running windows yet, or do they still lose a ton of battery life and other stuff when you run windows on them

The latter.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

SwissArmyDruid posted:

FIVR is rumored to be coming back post-Skylake.

Why was it taken out in the first place?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Intel caring about overclockability? Doesn't sound like them at all.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

That's an interesting disconnect. The stock cooler has four pegs to go in four holes. How many parts does your aftermarket cooler have, backplate and all?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

With graphics cards the size they are its hard to go smaller. And yes I realize there are itx options for some cards but there's not that many.

You can probably also guess what dictates the size of itx enclosures.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Malcolm XML posted:

it turns out that graphics is barely affected by halving or quartering the pcie link bandwidth: https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Impact-of-PCI-E-Speed-on-Gaming-Performance-518/

this is not really an issue even at 4k. nobody is waiting for slow-rear end pcie transfers when they are rendering frames.

This is because, as I understand it, because you load the entire dataset of what you might want to render from into the memory of your gpu. A smaller pipe from pc to egpu should only mean slightly longer loading times.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Tab8715 posted:

Thunderbolt has been around for 2-4 years, I don't see why we couldn't use that interface.

It has a Thunderbolt tax you must pay to Intel at around $100 .

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

fishmech posted:

No matter what anyone else tells you, the only true dealbreaker disadvantage Betamax had was the recording length issue. And that's really not applicable to Thunderbolt.

Also the whole market penetration thing.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Only thing keeping me away from that chip is the pittance of L3 cache.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

HalloKitty posted:

When you're not using the iGPU, you have 128MiB L4 cache, that's the main attraction. But yeah, it's down 2MiB on L3 cache compared to other recent i7s.

How well is L4 cache transferred to L3?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Just limit the amount of your retard strength you use when tightening and you'll be fine.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Lose support how?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

That doesn't seem offensive to me in the least. But then again my computers are either brand new and windows 10 machines, or decades old xp boxes chained to scientific instruments so I won't have issues either way.

I can also see why MS would like to shorten the life of windows they want to support. Supporting an OS, I assume, is expensive as all balls.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

blowfish posted:

Our lab is currently approaching the point where we have to consolidate all XP boxes into an old equipment pool as replacements for mission critical/expensive lab equipment that won't run on anything newer. Our office PCs are just starting to get upgraded to Windows 7 :shepicide:.

Our instruments will only run with the of it came with. If you need parts of a new computer God forbid you get to payout the nose for an identical uni.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Yes! Most are hyphenated instruments. Each letter is a million dkk, the hyphen around 0.5 mill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

LiquidRain posted:

The only worthwhile upgrade might be a 4790k I'd say. Nothing else would offset the cost of the motherboard to justify it.

And even this would be questionable. RBX do you do anything outside of gaming? If no don't bother upgrading your CPU this... I want to say year.