Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

B-Nasty posted:

Got SSD?

The newest ones are *significantly* faster than even the best spinning platter drives, and will make your computer feel like a different machine all together. Once these start getting cheap enough to become the default (non-media) drives, we'll probably see all kinds of cool built in RAID/optimized to hell craziness.

Right on the money. A friend of mine just swapped his main boot drive for a 60GB Sandforce-based SSD and it's night and day. I'm just waiting for a 120+GB model I can afford before I do exactly the same thing. We both have similar computers, but at a LAN if we both click Starcraft II at the same time his is up and running before mine even shows a loading screen. It's absurdly fast.

Anand from Anandtech has noted that he has some of the old SSDs that were fast for reads but no good for multitasking in USB enclosures to do OS installs and that a SSD to SSD Windows 7 install is under 3 minutes from first boot to first reboot. Seek times may not seem like much, but apparently they add up pretty quickly as far as user experience is concerned, since a good SSD-equipped machine feels like it just has no delay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

incoherent posted:

I hope this chipset is finally the one to force motherboard makers to UEFI.

There's rumors that the next version of Windows will require UEFI, though I doubt that will be the case since almost no one has it right now so very few computers could be upgraded. It would be nice if they'd come out and say that the version after will require it though, that gives plenty of time for hardware manufacturers to get up to speed and for most computers that would be worth upgrading the OS on to have support.