Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

paisleyfox posted:

Oh, it's totally the checkerboard one. The first one wasn't so bad except it was pretty misleading. The tunnels get pretty confusing and when you draw over them to trace, you lose the over under. :argh:

Ooh, I have not reached that one yet. I look forward to it...maybe. Right now I'm just starting Chapter 9: The Master of the Towering Pagoda. I'm very excited.

You can actually get to that one now, I think.

Go back to the University in the Present and talk to the girl that hates Luke for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

Capsaicin posted:

I still really prefer "100% steampunk clock puzzles" as a thread title. :colbert:

To be completely fair the game really gets the majority of the analog clock puzzles out of its system less then 10% into it. Also the word steampunk got thrown around in almost all of the reviews but it doesn't really apply until the very end.

foastwab
Sep 1, 2009

by XyloJW
Reach is really taking up all my gaming time, but I'm sneaking in bits of Unwound Future here and there.

It's great so far. I'm in love with the cutscenes and the music (as I was in the first two games) and the new incorrect/correct pictures are awesome.

People really didn't like Diabolical Box that much? I thought it was fantastic, though looking back, I really hated mixing the teas.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

foastwab posted:

People really didn't like Diabolical Box that much? I thought it was fantastic, though looking back, I really hated mixing the teas.

I think it's the "what the gently caress" plot that turned a lot of people off. I didn't mind at all, but I like things with insane plots.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Seriously though, gently caress the parrot minigames.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

paisleyfox posted:

I. HATE. THIS. PUZZLE. I tried, I really did, and after I covered my memo pad with a million multicolored lines (love that upgrade, btw), I just started guessing because fuuuuuuuuuuuuuu-

There's actually a trick to that one - Once you've determined that all you can do is move up and right to reach the corner as fast as possible, counting the number of possible move interleaves turns into a straight multiplication/combinatorics problem.

paisleyfox posted:

Also, I am terrible at the third car bonus puzzle. I think this game shows how much it hates you in the bonus puzzles if it involves cake.

I had less trouble with that one than I did with the first tutorial car level. *shrug*

I seem to play these games really slow - Diabolic Box had about 17 hours on it by the time I 100%ed it - but it's been really worthwhile.

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004

foastwab posted:

I liked Diabolical box more than Mysterious Village. Then again, I really like trains so take that with a grain of salt.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

foastwab posted:

Don't get me wrong, I liked it a lot more than the first one, I just expected the plot to make more sense.

But going into Unwound Future, I now KNOW Layton plots are completely ridiculous. Sort of like a "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." deal.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

:smug: Chiming in to say that I guessed the secret of the village in the second game, although I didn't manage to figure out what the box was until the reveal. The first game's twist also hit me from left field as well...

I was a bit disappointed that (not really a spoiler I guess) Flora was outright useless in the second game, doing nothing but getting kidnapped and replaced by Don Paolo, who also does pretty much nothing all game either. Although I guess my only real complaint about the games is that there are generally too many puzzles which are Layton says 'hey, this reminds me of a puzzle!' rather than actually being relevant to anything.

Also, what's with the title changes between the US and EU versions? Is 'pandora's box' trademarked in the US, or is there some crazed eurocrat who's decreed that 'diabolical box' is too satanic for impressionable european youths?

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Probably more of the latter since 'diabolical' is a closer localisation of the Japanese.

Maybe for Europe they felt that a reference to the Greek myth would help sales?

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Crazy Achmed posted:

Also, what's with the title changes between the US and EU versions? Is 'pandora's box' trademarked in the US, or is there some crazed eurocrat who's decreed that 'diabolical box' is too satanic for impressionable european youths?

The usual reason is that US audiences wouldn't be expected to know about Pandora or her box. And since the game doesn't have a character called "Pandora" it would be too confusing!

Blame your marketing departments.

For some reason the EU version of game three is called "Lost Future", which I don't think has the same ring to it.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Umbra Dubium posted:

The usual reason is that US audiences wouldn't be expected to know about Pandora or her box. And since the game doesn't have a character called "Pandora" it would be too confusing!

Blame your marketing departments.

For some reason the EU version of game three is called "Lost Future", which I don't think has the same ring to it.

On the other hand "diabolical" is the better translation of the original title ("Akuma no Hako"), and I would say it also sounds nicer.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Funny comic by hiimdaisy: linked for Diabolical Box spoilers

I think I'm with everyone on Village vs Box plotwise, haven't gotten my hooks into Future yet. On the other hand, the ending cinematic of Box was god-diddly-drat amazing and we also got "NEXT STOP, FOOOOOOOOOLSEEEEEEEEENSE :rock:"

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I beat the game last night. I'm not even going to write something in a spoiler text so none of you are tempted to look at it.

All I'll say is after staying up till 5am to finish this game I fell asleep only to have Laytonish dreams. When the alarm woke me up I picked it up confused over "how do I solve this puzzle?"

Then I remembered that you have to push the big button to do that.

I think I'll take a break from games for awhile.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

Funny comic by hiimdaisy: linked for Diabolical Box spoilers

That second one made me laugh so hard I freaked out my dog.

Wandering Knitter posted:

All I'll say is after staying up till 5am to finish this game I fell asleep only to have Laytonish dreams. When the alarm woke me up I picked it up confused over "how do I solve this puzzle?"

I did that with Katamari.

"I bet I could roll that."

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

On the other hand "diabolical" is the better translation of the original title ("Akuma no Hako"), and I would say it also sounds nicer.

Plus I know "hur hur Americans are dumb" is an easy shot but Pandora's box is far from obscure even to Americans. I think they just elected to go with the literal translation for the US version and the European publishers decided on something else.

Honestly I'd think "diabolical" in a children's game would go over worse than Pandora's box.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

Capsaicin posted:

Seriously though, gently caress the parrot minigames.

I thought they were mostly fun but the physics were kinda spazzy.

Anyway here's all the solutions:
1: http://i51.tinypic.com/v8206w.png
2: http://i52.tinypic.com/v7w1ly.png
3: http://i52.tinypic.com/14d0rhu.png
4: http://i52.tinypic.com/1659ac.png
5: http://i56.tinypic.com/2iazlg9.png
6: http://i51.tinypic.com/2mxppa1.png
7: http://i56.tinypic.com/2nlgsgx.png
8: http://i56.tinypic.com/2ze08ls.png
9: http://i52.tinypic.com/30ivw2x.png
10: http://i55.tinypic.com/rco6xw.png
11: http://i52.tinypic.com/2sao1mr.png
12: http://i56.tinypic.com/2mnehzt.png

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The first 4 parrot games are easy, but I have access to the second set of 4 and all of them seem literally impossible, as in it seems like I've tried every imaginable combination of ropes and am wondering what the hell I'm missing. Hopefully eventually I'll get it, I haven't had to go to the Internet for anything yet. There seem to be much fewer bullshit box sliding type puzzles.
Do the Japanese consider "logic" hard as a rule or what? So far the puzzles with the highest picarats have been the (to me) super-easy "a is not b, c is next to d" ones.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
Yeah those are pretty easy for me too. The only puzzles I find obnoxiously hard are the "hey, imagine a dodecahedron" style spatial reasoning ones. Even the sliding block puzzles aren't that bad, there's usually some sort of decisive move you can make that makes doing the actual puzzle pretty easy.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Who got that photograph of people playing cards one right without guessing or using hints?

It's about puzzle 27 I think.

I just guessed in the end (prior to using any hints) and I really can't imagine ever working it out legitimately.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

DiscoJ posted:

Who got that photograph of people playing cards one right without guessing or using hints?

I just guessed in the end (prior to using any hints) and I really can't imagine ever working it out legitimately.

I got it, but that's because I remember seeing the same puzzle in another form somewhere

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

DiscoJ posted:

I thought to myself "well, that guy certainly LOOKS like he doesn't know what he's doing!" Luckily, he didn't.

My first guess was that the picture-y thing behind one of them was a mirror. I still think that would've been a more fun solution.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DiscoJ posted:

I got it, but for a different reason than the game.
I've counted 4 or so puzzles so far which have "alternate answers" due to wording issues or ways of interpreting the art. I don't remember that being true in the first two games.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

RagnarokAngel posted:

Plus I know "hur hur Americans are dumb" is an easy shot but Pandora's box is far from obscure even to Americans. I think they just elected to go with the literal translation for the US version and the European publishers decided on something else.

Honestly I'd think "diabolical" in a children's game would go over worse than Pandora's box.

Not to mention the fact that the Pandora's Box of myth has absolutely nothing to do with the in-game purported, suspected, actual, or intended capabilities or properties of the Elysian Box. There's more to being smart than random allusions, anyhow.

Not that "Elysian Box" is all that much better either, and I don't see why Anton would have ever bothered calling it that.

precision posted:

I got [the card puzzle], but for a different reason than the game.

What reason did you find? (I guessed.)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Cicero posted:

Thread title reference:

I saw a thread title with "Professor Layton" in it and this was the first thing that popped in my head. Might try to pick one of these up next time I have a used-games binge.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

JUST finished this game less than five minutes ago. That was HANDS DOWN the best story yet. I cried SO HARD multiple times at the end, omg. The part with the hat at the end was the worst. :< Also, the second to last movie clip. AAAAGH so good!

NEXT ONE PLEASE.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

precision posted:

I got it, but for a different reason than the game.
I've counted 4 or so puzzles so far which have "alternate answers" due to wording issues or ways of interpreting the art. I don't remember that being true in the first two games.

Yeah, the one about the numbered stamps where you have to do __ + __ + ___ = ___ is the one that I had a goddamned PERFECT answer straight off the bat and it wouldn't work.

This puzzle, you have 5 stamps, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7. You have to make that equation work, but each answer could only be a one digit number. You also have to use the least number of stamps possible. My answer was to turn the five upside down so it's a two, and do 2 + 3 + 3 =. Then you'd use the three, but turn it upside down and stamp again to make an 8. The actual answer is to do 3 + 3 + 3 and turn the 6 upside down.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Capsaicin posted:

My answer was to...

I haven't played the game yet, but 5 upside down is still a 5.

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003

Umbra Dubium posted:

I haven't played the game yet, but 5 upside down is still a 5.
Another problem with the answer is that the puzzle explicitly states you can only use one stamp per square, which rules out the double 3 = 8 thing. But yeah, you are right that an upside down 5 needs to also be flipped horizontally to be a 2.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
I feel super retarded but I'm stuck. I'm at the puzzle where you're trying to get into the locked door down by the Thames. It's the puzzle where there's 4 numbers and 4 buttons, each button controls 2 numbers, and you have to make them all equal to 0. Does anyone have a walkthrough on this. I even used the super hint for the first time because I really could not figure out how to do it.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

I feel super retarded but I'm stuck. I'm at the puzzle where you're trying to get into the locked door down by the Thames. It's the puzzle where there's 4 numbers and 4 buttons, each button controls 2 numbers, and you have to make them all equal to 0. Does anyone have a walkthrough on this. I even used the super hint for the first time because I really could not figure out how to do it.

I button mashed until I had the same numbers either up and down or side to side (so like:

n x or n n
n x -- x x

Basically each button will add something to each row or column. Figure out what that is.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

paisleyfox posted:

JUST finished this game less than five minutes ago. That was HANDS DOWN the best story yet. I cried SO HARD multiple times at the end, omg. The part with the hat at the end was the worst. :< Also, the second to last movie clip. AAAAGH so good!

NEXT ONE PLEASE.

I agree about the story. I cried like a little girl. That's right! I'm not too proud to admit it! Professor Layton games shouldn't have sad endings, drat it!

I also have a question that's tormenting me: The one about the mislabeled plates. As far as I could tell ALL of them could be reused. Even the 7 you just had to slightly adjust to make it look like a seven again. What am I missing?

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

I also have a question that's tormenting me: The one about the mislabeled plates. As far as I could tell ALL of them could be reused. Even the 7 you just had to slightly adjust to make it look like a seven again. What am I missing?

Most of them are symmetrical and therefore can still be used if horizontally flipped. However, the same does not hold true if there is no symmetry.

I really enjoyed this game. I expected the plot to be be mind-bogglingly out there and it didn't let me down one bit. Now to find the rest of the puzzles and finish the storybook and the car and parrot games.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Spoiler for every single puzzle in the game:

6 upside down is a 9.

Seriously, if there are numbers in the puzzle, that's probably how you find the answer.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Capsaicin posted:

Spoiler for every single puzzle in the game:

6 upside down is a 9.

Seriously, if there are numbers in the puzzle, that's probably how you find the answer.

I'd rather have this than 9000 chinese checkers and chess puzzles.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

elf help book posted:

I'd rather have this than 9000 chinese checkers and chess puzzles.

It's kind of nice that the bulk of the puzzles change with each game. Unwound future is definitely math/numbers related. Diabolical Box was more "physically moving things" related, and the first one was more traditional puzzle/oh god the chess related.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It's kind of nice that the bulk of the puzzles change with each game. Unwound future is definitely math/numbers related. Diabolical Box was more "physically moving things" related, and the first one was more traditional puzzle/oh god the chess related.

I thought only one guy gave chess puzzles in the first game and they were all really easy, I never spent more than a few minutes on each one.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I thought only one guy gave chess puzzles in the first game and they were all really easy, I never spent more than a few minutes on each one.

The first one had N Queens puzzles, which I can do in my sleep. The second one had the @#$*&^!@#*&#@ing Knight's Tour, which I have trouble solving even with automated programs. Good thing it's been solved for hundreds of years and I can just consult the !*&@#ing internet.

Same deal for the jumping-pegs solitaire, really, though the smaller versions I actually managed to solve entirely on my own. Those were fun. The full board version is another "I could poke at this for hours on end or I could look up the centuries-old answer", though, and at that point it was 9/11 and Unwound Future was coming out tomorrow, so I wimped out.

I feel less guilty about those. If they're going to write puzzles by looking up classics, I'm going to solve them the same way. But I'll take every riddle variant happily, and my favorite in the whole series so far is from game 1: the golfer with the fixed-length putt, which looks like a classic linear combination puzzle but isn't. Haven't finished Unwound Future yet, though. I have high hopes for it.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
It's interesting that in a series apparently aimed at least partially at a younger audience (based on art style and level of "adult" content), all of the plots are centered around grief and loss, usually from the perspective of a father.

Mysterious Village: A dying man creates an automatic town to protect and comfort his daughter.
Diabolical Box: Crazy old guy can't come to terms with the fact he sent his daughter away.
Eternal Diva: Father tries to keep his daughter alive through memory transfer.
Unwound Future: Layton, Dimitri, and Paul are all driven by the loss of Claire, and Clive by the loss of his parents, while Luke is facing the prospect of being separated from Layton.

And I'm grieving over the time I lost to the &*@!(# parrot game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I don't think it's aimed at a young audience as much as it's meant for all ages.

• Locked thread