Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

This is probably not so useful for most of you people here, but Amazon is doing a Buy 2, Get 1 Free Dealie through November 6th, and all three Professor Layton games qualify for the deal. That being said, all three Professor Layton games will soon be on their way to my house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Just finished this and wow, that ending. That's one of the most poiniant endings of any DS game made yet.

There were some right terrible puzzles in this though. Like the one where someone doesn't know what they're doing wile playing cards and a few others that will only accept it's own bullshitty answer instead of another one just as bullshitty that also works.

For example The puzzle where you have to use stamps 1357 to make an equation in []+[]=[]. The solution is to take the 3 and stamp itside by side with another 3 in order to do 3+5=8, but apparently it doesn't like you being clever and just using the 3 and the 1 to make 8+3=11

There quite a few of those and they're all annoying.

Opendork
Jan 14, 2006

Kin posted:

For example The puzzle where you have to use stamps 1357 to make an equation in []+[]=[]. The solution is to take the 3 and stamp itside by side with another 3 in order to do 3+5=8, but apparently it doesn't like you being clever and just using the 3 and the 1 to make 8+3=11

There quite a few of those and they're all annoying.

Doesn't that one specify only one number per blank? Maybe I'm thinking of a different one.

The worst was which clothing item will Layton buy!? though.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Opendork posted:

Doesn't that one specify only one number per blank? Maybe I'm thinking of a different one.

The worst was which clothing item will Layton buy!? though.

In the solution 3 is used in 2 different boxes too and the Doubled up 3 to make 8 is exactly the same. It's more or less the same solution, but the game doesn't like you using it because it's not the exact asinine answer it gave.

Also, Latons clothing wasn't the worst one, the loving Stranger train station one was.

Opendork
Jan 14, 2006

Kin posted:

In the solution 3 is used in 2 different boxes too and the Doubled up 3 to make 8 is exactly the same. It's more or less the same solution, but the game doesn't like you using it because it's not the exact asinine answer it gave.

Also, Latons clothing wasn't the worst one, the loving Stranger train station one was.

Yeah alright when I said "number" I should have used "digit." 11 is two digits but 8 is just one.

And I'm not sure what problem you could have had with the train one. It wasn't like the heart or some such where you have no idea what they're asking. I guess a lot of the "this puzzle is BULLSHIT" stuff is ultimately subjective. Except that chocolate bar from Curious Village. gently caress that one.

EDIT: I looked it up and it says only one DIGIT per square. The way its worded, I can understand your confusion. You could interpret it as either "the number must be single-digit" which is the intended meaning, or as "you can only use one stamp per space" which is how you saw it. They should have written something like "each space must have a single-digit number."

Opendork fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Nov 1, 2010

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Holy poo poo finally finished Unwound Future :cry:

I actually kinda prefer the UK title now. Unwound Future sounds cooler, but... Lost Future :(

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

eating only apples posted:

Holy poo poo finally finished Unwound Future :cry:

I actually kinda prefer the UK title now. Unwound Future sounds cooler, but... Lost Future :(

Wait, they did a title drop in the western version as well? I played the Japanese version ("...and the Final Time Travel") and the line from Claire was the best thing about that sequence. I assumed they just gave up using the game's title in dialogue for the western version, but if they did I guess they changed what she says completely. How was it done?

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

orenronen posted:

Wait, they did a title drop in the western version as well? I played the Japanese version ("...and the Final Time Travel") and the line from Claire was the best thing about that sequence. I assumed they just gave up using the game's title in dialogue for the western version, but if they did I guess they changed what she says completely. How was it done?

I don't remember the exact line. She said something about how she hoped Layton would always remember their past, and their lost future. I didn't see any instances of 'unwound future' though.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I don't remember the exact line. She said something about how she hoped Layton would always remember their past, and their lost future. I didn't see any instances of 'unwound future' though.

In the U.S. she says something to the effect of "We had so many plans.....I'll miss you and our unwound future"

Nohtenki
Jan 8, 2008
I finished Unwound Future about two days ago, and I finished Diabolical Box last night (apparently I was about an hour away from the end, who knew?) and I have to say Unwound Future was the better one. Less math puzzles and I love how memo works now. The ending to Diabolical Box was sweet but very anticlimactic I think.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Nohtenki posted:

I finished Unwound Future about two days ago, and I finished Diabolical Box last night (apparently I was about an hour away from the end, who knew?) and I have to say Unwound Future was the better one. Less math puzzles and I love how memo works now. The ending to Diabolical Box was sweet but very anticlimactic I think.

I'm very fond of Lost Future, and think the memo feature is an absolute joy, but I have to say it dragged a little in the middle, when you're running back and forth from Chinatown for the umpteenth time.

Plus, the minigames were a bit of a pest (was it me or were the physics in the parrot game were completely buggered?) I preferred the tea minigame in Diabolical Box, it suited the completely bonkers tone of the game to have Layton and Luke brewing up cuppas for the possibly imaginary residents of a vampire haunted town whilst running for their lives.

TinKelp
Jan 9, 2007
:dukedog:
Buglord

Irisi posted:

I preferred the tea minigame in Diabolical Box, it suited the completely bonkers tone of the game to have Layton and Luke brewing up cuppas for the possibly imaginary residents of a vampire haunted town whilst running for their lives.

Ugh, I hated that more than the stupid plot twist. I had no way of tracking who I gave tea to already so I had to wander around the entire loving town waiting for someone to sweat profusely because it's all down to random chance when they want a cup and god forbid if I picked the wrong tea to serve because then they might stop wanting tea after I mess up so it's back to traveling back and forth again and again until they decide they want to give me a second chance.

I still haven't finished that side quest.

lazybuttons
Jul 17, 2005
TiVo popcorn

Irisi posted:

was it me or were the physics in the parrot game were completely buggered?

I'll give you that, but it was designed to be more of a trial/error sort of logic puzzle. Definitely had me grinding my teeth at times

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

The parrot minigame was changed entirely for the western market -- the original had the parrot learn new words throughout the game which you then had to use to converse with the people of London. I kinda wonder who is responsible for the design and implementation of those major reprogrammed-for-English elements throughout the series - is it the localization team or the team who originally built the game?

I'm currently playing Spectre's Flute and the mini-games are the best the series ever had. I actually willingly go to play them once a new levels are unlocked. At least one will definitely have to be rewritten, though, as it deals directly with manipulating kana characters.

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

orenronen posted:

The parrot minigame was changed entirely for the western market -- the original had the parrot learn new words throughout the game which you then had to use to converse with the people of London. I kinda wonder who is responsible for the design and implementation of those major reprogrammed-for-English elements throughout the series - is it the localization team or the team who originally built the game?

I'm glad we got the goofy rope bouncing puzzles then, because walking around is the second most annoying part of these games. The most being randomly tapping for a minute on each screen to find hint coins and secret puzzles.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

pokecapn posted:

I'm glad we got the goofy rope bouncing puzzles then, because walking around is the second most annoying part of these games. The most being randomly tapping for a minute on each screen to find hint coins and secret puzzles.

I'm at the point, having played the first two games, where I kinda understand the pattern for where hint coins are going to be. I can tap four locations on the screen and get three hint coins.

The walking is killing Unwound Future for me. My girlfriend beat the game and now shes nagging me to finish it.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

I'm at the point, having played the first two games, where I kinda understand the pattern for where hint coins are going to be. I can tap four locations on the screen and get three hint coins.

God, tell me. I didn't use a single hint coin in 1 but I only found like 30.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I have the hint coin radar too, I can find them all pretty much straight away.

I had like 70 by the end of Unwound Future. Admittedly I missed a bunch of puzzles, though.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

The walking is killing Unwound Future for me. My girlfriend beat the game and now shes nagging me to finish it.

With good reason, trust me.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

I just beat Unwound Future, and it's about as melancholy as an ending can get without just being depressing. It was definitely nice to finally learn some things about the major characters in the series, though.

As for the puzzles, Curious Village is still the best. The ones in Unwound Future aren't bad, but they're mostly bland. Curious Village seemed to have the most clever ones in the series.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Unwound future made me actually laugh out loud when Don Paolo disguised as Layton pulled off the hat and you get a second of blank-faced Layton with Paolo's hair, and then he pulls off his face. Seriously if I had a gif of that I would never stop laughing.

I SAID LISTEN
Jan 10, 2007
I don't *do* up.
What blew my mind is how he goes from Layton's clothes to his own clothes instantly.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
My girlfriend made me stop playing before I got to the Thames Arms for the second time, around Chapter 10 I think. She said something huge was there and I'd never be able to sleep if I saw it.

So if Don Paolo was Dr. Schrader and the dean... whos future Luke?!

I am beginning to suspect that we have not traveled forward in time.

Also I loved Don Paolo's origin story.

EDIT: I was also hoping that Don Paolo would solve some puzzles.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
e: never mind, I'm a dumbass :)

Has there been any information on a Western Spectre's Flute release? I heard Mask of Miracle will be a 3DS launch title, but we have to get Spectre's Flute first surely?

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Nov 27, 2010

Fishmonkey
Jun 22, 2004

Professional Boob Puncher
Finally got a chance to play through Unwound Future.

Holy poo poo, this game has more carnage than most first person shooters! :psyduck:

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

I beat it the other day, it was just as ridiculous as the first two.

A giant underground cavern that no one has noticed for centuries? How the gently caress did they light the thing anyway? I thought it was going to wind up being St. Mystere again because of Flora's comment about the pagoda.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

e: never mind, I'm a dumbass :)

Has there been any information on a Western Spectre's Flute release? I heard Mask of Miracle will be a 3DS launch title, but we have to get Spectre's Flute first surely?

It's still not impossible. The first screenshots had English text because Level 5 was making it clear that the game was being made for both the East and West at once. The translations in those screenshots weren't great - probably done just for those screenshots. There's no telling for sure until an official release date is revealed, and who the gently caress knows when that'll happen.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsi2Ay_JxaE

How would you like a new Mask of Miracle trailer?
It's looking good.

freeforumuser
Aug 11, 2007

Fishmonkey posted:

Finally got a chance to play through Unwound Future.

Holy poo poo, this game has more carnage than most first person shooters! :psyduck:

Ending spoiler: That gigantic multi-gun mecha thingie prolly killed more British than the whole of WW2 Blitz for surfacing alone. I'm surprised there's no mention of capital punishment for Clive.

freeforumuser fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Dec 20, 2010

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

SereneCrimson posted:

How would you like a new Mask of Miracle trailer?
It's looking good.

Want this right now.

Descole :love: What a badass.

LadySage
Dec 26, 2005

AA: i am very much alive
AA: and i intend to stay that way :)
Oh god, Young Layton's hair...

Looks fantastic, but I'm not a big fan of the cell-shaded 3D models I noticed in the actual game screens.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
:pedo: in my Professor Layton game? :monocle: Say it ain't so!

PHOTO PROOF

MJ_Turbo
Oct 15, 2005
da fuq?
I don't remember "boy" being one of the options in that puzzle....

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Using the Luke sticker fills the blank with the noun "boy". Much like Don Paolo fills the blank with the noun "man". But you don't need to take MY word for it, try it out.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!
Well, Layton 5 is out tomorrow (Today?) in Japan. and...

What the hell were they thinking with that boxart? :psyduck:

Jzmisgoo
Sep 15, 2007

Jzm IS goo!!

SereneCrimson posted:

Well, Layton 5 is out tomorrow (Today?) in Japan. and...

What the hell were they thinking with that boxart? :psyduck:

This reminds me of a puzzle x 5

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

It's a puzzle within a puzzle.

We're gonna have to go deeper.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

Requested_Username posted:

It's a puzzle within a puzzle.

We're gonna have to go deeper.

WOOOOM

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

I'm playing the new 3DS game, which has flashback scenes to Layton's youth. They're not even trying - the supposedly British high school Layton attends has shoe boxes in its front hall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

orenronen posted:

I'm playing the new 3DS game, which has flashback scenes to Layton's youth. They're not even trying - the supposedly British high school Layton attends has shoe boxes in its front hall.

I find those kinds of misunderstandings kind of cute. :3:

Also, I moved to central Europe in between Diabolical Box and Unwound Future's English releases, so I have the US releases of Layton 1 and 2, but the UK version of 3. I have to admit, I didn't even notice Luke's VA was different, because I am a colossal idiot. I do like "lost" future though. It's so poignant. I cried at the end like a little girl. Twice. :cry:

• Locked thread