Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Capsaicin posted:

I still really prefer "100% steampunk clock puzzles" as a thread title. :colbert:

This cannot be stressed enough. I'm five hours into the game and I now hate clocks and the concept of numbers. So many numbers.

So far the only puzzle that's pissed me off is the police officer and his problem parking the car. It SAYS you can only go left/ right but they mean left/right as if you were standing on the square, not if you were looking down on it.

Also the fact that the plots are loving insane is what makes them awesome. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

foastwab posted:

People really didn't like Diabolical Box that much? I thought it was fantastic, though looking back, I really hated mixing the teas.

I think it's the "what the gently caress" plot that turned a lot of people off. I didn't mind at all, but I like things with insane plots.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I beat the game last night. I'm not even going to write something in a spoiler text so none of you are tempted to look at it.

All I'll say is after staying up till 5am to finish this game I fell asleep only to have Laytonish dreams. When the alarm woke me up I picked it up confused over "how do I solve this puzzle?"

Then I remembered that you have to push the big button to do that.

I think I'll take a break from games for awhile.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

paisleyfox posted:

JUST finished this game less than five minutes ago. That was HANDS DOWN the best story yet. I cried SO HARD multiple times at the end, omg. The part with the hat at the end was the worst. :< Also, the second to last movie clip. AAAAGH so good!

NEXT ONE PLEASE.

I agree about the story. I cried like a little girl. That's right! I'm not too proud to admit it! Professor Layton games shouldn't have sad endings, drat it!

I also have a question that's tormenting me: The one about the mislabeled plates. As far as I could tell ALL of them could be reused. Even the 7 you just had to slightly adjust to make it look like a seven again. What am I missing?

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

elf help book posted:

I'd rather have this than 9000 chinese checkers and chess puzzles.

It's kind of nice that the bulk of the puzzles change with each game. Unwound future is definitely math/numbers related. Diabolical Box was more "physically moving things" related, and the first one was more traditional puzzle/oh god the chess related.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I think it's also pretty heavily aimed at the housewife crowd. That's why the US box art is plastered with "Solve over 150 brainteasers!!" like it's some Dell puzzle magazine.

It's true. It's the only game my Mom has ever been remotely interested in.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
So is the Professor Layton movie out yet, and is it being brought to America? I've completely lost track on that. :ohdear:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Dude in the first page said that the movie has a planned UK release next month.

It's even listed in the OP. Jeez, guys.

:doh: God drat it, I knew I thought I saw something about it in this topic. Turns out it was the OP! :downs:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

ManxomeBromide posted:

ETA: Was I the only one kind of creeped out by the revelation in Unwound Future that Layton's top hat is a Great Expectations Miss Havisham kind of thing? The scene in the ending where he finally takes the hat off, after being psychopathically obsessive about keeping it on at all times in Diabolical Box, was actually kind of liberating to me - he's suffered a great loss, but he's finally free.

His hat totally came off during the sword fight anyway. :colbert:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I like the retarded plot twists. Because they're retarded. :colbert:

That being said I looked up some videos on the British version of Luke's voice and holy poo poo :byodood:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I love bullshit puzzles! I'd rather sit there and try to figure out the logic then carefully count out how many hours passed and then 1/4th of people leave the train and oh God I thought graduating meant no more math puzzles :gonk:

• Locked thread