Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Indeed, I'm not to fond of the girl though. They could've found a deeper voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

techno allah
Sep 29, 2005

free snack posted:

I hate to be that guy but they used to be called The Wildbunch not The Wildhearts. Doesn't really matter though since they are now Electric Six. This was always my favourite Wildbunch song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2nIF19Wy74

The ballad of MC sucka DJ is awesome just for the Magnum PI breakdown. But my favorite old Wildbunch song is by far I am Detroit!

CruJones
Feb 22, 2006

by Lowtax
I REALLY liked the new songs played at their show. Why did I not just buy the album then?

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.

techno allah posted:

The ballad of MC sucka DJ is awesome just for the Magnum PI breakdown. But my favorite old Wildbunch song is by far I am Detroit!

Another song from that time that I hadn't heard until recently is Don't Be Afraid Of The Robot from the Japanese release of Fire. Good stuff. Does anyone know where to get a hold of the import on the cheap or any place that has just the mp3's for sale? All I can find is the import on Amazon and its out of stock and over $40 to boot.

BobbyHeenanTinyHat
Apr 1, 2005

Calling all girls of the opposite sex
I haven't seen this mentioned, so I apologise, but I saw the Electric Six Twitter page plugging a band called Johnny Headband recently and checked out their video: http://vimeo.com/29290662

This is relevant because it turns out to be Smorgasbord!'s other band. Doesn't sound much like E6 at all, but it's still pretty drat good. Makes me want Dick to go out after this record and make another Evil Cowards album.

As for H&B, Hello! I See You is now easily my favourite song as I've played it practically non-stop now for a couple of days. I have a soft spot for Gridlock! and Bleed For The Artist, and Interchangeable Knife too, but Hello! is on a par with Escape From Ohio for stand-out tracks that stand up against any E6 song in the back catalogue. I don't hate the electro sound at all. If anyone could pull it off, it was E6, even if Food Dog isn't very good (sorry Gaspar).

free snack posted:

Don't worry, I never listened to a Evil Cowards song until you said to get it in you OP. Now I can't stop listening to Sex Wars.

If you like that, you'll probably like Love Pigs too: http://vimeo.com/6911628

BobbyHeenanTinyHat fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Oct 6, 2011

PeppermintEgo
Feb 22, 2011

I love the hip-hop sound at the beginning.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

So, which E6 song hooked you guys up?

For me it was Dance Commander from outro of a Zero Punctuation episode, actually.

PeppermintEgo
Feb 22, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

For me it was Dance Commander from outro of a Zero Punctuation episode, actually.

Rubber Rocket randomly came on my iPod one day when it was on Shuffle. E6 had been on there for awhile but I had not listened to any of it.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
So... the new albums is pretty drat great. Blows Zodiac and Kill out of the water, anyway.

BobbyHeenanTinyHat
Apr 1, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

As typical an answer as it is, it was Danger! High Voltage. From the get-go, I just knew that this was a band that I loved.

Yet, I almost completely skipped Senor Smoke at first. As much as I loved Fire and Radio Ga Ga, I had little interest in the album at the time. It wasn't until Switzerland that I really got into the band again and went back to catch up. I've been with them ever since.

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

You can trip on my synthesizer.
When they first came out I was young enough to find High Voltage and Gay Bar the height of comedy but didn't really hear anything else from them until a friend of mine made me give the rest of Fire a go. I'm the Bomb and Synthesizer really got to me so I went out and grabbed Seņor Smoke myself.

I caught their live show when Flashy came out and have done with each album since so I suppose that's when you could start calling me a 'proper' E6 fan.

Edit

Dissapointed Owl posted:

So... the new albums is pretty drat great. Blows Zodiac and Kill out of the water, anyway.
Hey buddy, those are my favourites. :colbert:
Still, I'm really happy with how H&B turned out, I was expecting the electro focus to really turn me off but there're probably only two tracks on there I don't really enjoy, not bad considering it's got fourteen.

Smoky Bandana fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Oct 12, 2011

Prog Rug
Feb 23, 2011

I have to thank mitchel for allowing me to live to Evil Cowards because it made it easier to get into this album and I am glad to say that it's pretty good. I still don't think it is as good as Zodiac but most of it's songs are nice and catchy. Can't wait to hear them live.

PeppermintEgo
Feb 22, 2011

Dissapointed Owl posted:

It's a little better than KILL but it's miles away from being better than Zodiac.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

PeppermintEgo posted:

It's a little better than KILL but it's miles away from being better than Zodiac.

I'm pretty certain that we agreed that it totally depends on ones taste, several pages ago.

CzarStark
Dec 23, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Gridlock is SO GOOD. SO GOOD! I cannot wait for the 30th to see them live. (For the first time - I'm a bad fan :( )

BobbyHeenanTinyHat
Apr 1, 2005

In my love for Hello!, which is yet to die, I finally got to listen properly to the final part of the song and make out the lyrics. "I'm gonna join the cast of your one man show" may now be one of my favourite E6 lines, up there with "calling all girls of the opposite sex" and "I rode a sex wave and washed up on your shore."

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I can't really put a finger on what "We Use The Same Products" is supposed to be about.
A relationship between two people that share the something in common (a fetish?)?

BobbyHeenanTinyHat
Apr 1, 2005

Probably nothing in particular. According to Dick, most songs came about because "I decided I wanted to write a song called _____", and the only song with any real meaning is Hello!, which is about accepting Satan as your ruler.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

I thought Dick just really liked the shampoo he was using.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Holy poo poo! I just discovered that E6 apparently has made a free EP that I never heard of before.
One of the songs is called "Dr. Dairywiggle's Luxurious Lullaby Ride Into The Creamy Cave Of Wonderment", which is the longest name I've ever seen, the song kick quite some rear end too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmiJGDtiKPY
EDIT: Also, female voice in that one is so better than in the new album. :colbert:

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Oct 15, 2011

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax

Jack Trades posted:

Holy poo poo! I just discovered that E6 apparently has made a free EP that I never heard of before.
One of the songs is called "Dr. Dairywiggle's Luxurious Lullaby Ride Into The Creamy Cave Of Wonderment", which is the longest name I've ever seen, the song kick quite some rear end too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmiJGDtiKPY
EDIT: Also, female voice in that one is so better than in the new album. :colbert:

Yeah, The Best I Can Give Is 2% was a six-song (!) EP by White Gold (Dick) and the Calcium Twins to extol the virtues of milk. Every single song. Including a remix by Madlib's brother Oh No (!!).

This guy has a bunch of the promo clips and two of the full-length music videos (!!!) exlcluding the interactive Flash-based third one (?!?!) for "Is It Me Or Do You Love My Hair?" (!!!!!).

The point being Dick Valentine is a wonderful, wonderful man.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

I never knew of this and it is amazing. Thanks for the heads up.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Kill was a sack of poo poo and I've refused to buy any new E6 since I wasted money on that CD. That said, I saw people saying that Zodiac should be ranked above it so I went and took a shot in the dark and it's actually pretty decent, I'm still to afraid of Heartbeats and Brainwaves because of all the super synth-y stuff.

Clusterfuck! and Countdown to the Countdown are awesome though.

CzarStark
Dec 23, 2007

by R. Guyovich

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Kill was a sack of poo poo and I've refused to buy any new E6 since I wasted money on that CD. That said, I saw people saying that Zodiac should be ranked above it so I went and took a shot in the dark and it's actually pretty decent, I'm still to afraid of Heartbeats and Brainwaves because of all the super synth-y stuff.

Those were my favorites from Zodiac also. If you like those, try Gridlock! and Hello! I See You! from H&B (they're on youtube if you don't want to go buy it to try it).

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

I hate Kill and love Heartbeats and Brainwaves so try looking up its songs on youtube, my favourite is 'It Gets Hot'

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib
Why does everybody hate KILL? :(

It's at least better than the last five songs on Exterminate.

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

No idea, admittedly it has One Sick Puppy and You're Bored but other than those it's pretty much all gold for me.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Dominus Vobiscum posted:

Why does everybody hate KILL? :(

It's at least better than the last five songs on Exterminate.

*looks up the last five songs*

Lucifer Airlines, Lenny Kravitz, Fabulous People, Sexy Trash, Dirty Looks...

You're insane :stare:

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Fallen Rib
Try as I might, I've never liked any of those. Lucifer Airlines is alright, but I can name five songs on Kill I like more. Except for sometimes wanting to skip My Idea of Fun, I can listen to Kill straight through and be happy.

Granted, the same thing happened with me and Switzerland until I went to a show that had a few songs from it on the setlist which got me to listen to the album again.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
So this is a tour-only thing that I suddenly must have but never will:

Seriously, if anyone is going to see them soon, I will reward you handsomely if you get these for me.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Oct 23, 2011

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
The problem with KILL is that there's almost nothing that jumps out at you at first listen, unlike every other album where there'll by at least one thing that's :aaa:-inducing the first time you hear it. It's grown on me a bit over time(though there's still only three songs on there than I could identify if I heard them without any song title attached), but it's still the most samey & dull E6 album to me.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I believe you meant "every song on Zodiac is awesome". :colbert:

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Fallen Rib
Talking Turkey is the best end-of-an-E6-album song there is (especially after I actually listened to the lyrics and realized what it was about), except for maybe Synthesizer. I love Heartbeats and Brainwaves the song, but the dragged out ending doesn't work as well for me.

PeppermintEgo
Feb 22, 2011

Dominus Vobiscum posted:

Talking Turkey is the best end-of-an-E6-album song there is (especially after I actually listened to the lyrics and realized what it was about), except for maybe Synthesizer. I love Heartbeats and Brainwaves the song, but the dragged out ending doesn't work as well for me.

I must disagree. I think Dirty Looks easily wins this.

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Fallen Rib
I know this comes up once a page or so, but it bears repeating: If you ever have the chance to see Electric Six live, do it.

I saw them in Philly tonight. Dick didn't do as much of his usual stage banter, which was unfortunate. I think the crowd wasn't as responsive compared to all the times I've seen them in Indianapolis. Gridlock and Hello! I See You! were just as good live as I expected them to be, and them always throwing in Part 2 after is the only thing that makes me alright with still keeping Gay Bar on the set list.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Dominus Vobiscum posted:

I know this comes up once a page or so, but it bears repeating: If you ever have the chance to see Electric Six live, do it.

I saw them in Philly tonight. Dick didn't do as much of his usual stage banter, which was unfortunate. I think the crowd wasn't as responsive compared to all the times I've seen them in Indianapolis.

I think part of the fact was that there couldn't have been more than like thirty people there, Johnny Brenda's is pretty small at the best of times and it was far from filled.

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

Weird, every time I've seen them here in England they're filling a five to six hundred capacity venue.
Then again Fire hit the top ten here and I'm pretty sure the lead singles did the same in the singles chart, always nice to have that to fall back on.

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Fallen Rib

fatherdog posted:

I think part of the fact was that there couldn't have been more than like thirty people there, Johnny Brenda's is pretty small at the best of times and it was far from filled.

I'd never been to Johnny Brenda's before so I didn't get a good judge of the crowd, but they'd always pull at least 75-100 people in Indy. It being a Wednesday night show probably didn't help much, though they pulled a bigger crowd on a Tuesday in Indy in the spring.

What was with the person who brought the blowup doll?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Dominus Vobiscum posted:

What was with the person who brought the blowup doll?

Your guess is as good as mine.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

The Middle East downstairs in Cambridge, MA was pretty packed, it's a 550 capacity place (I think) and there were at least 400 people in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeppermintEgo
Feb 22, 2011

Smoky Bandana posted:

Weird, every time I've seen them here in England they're filling a five to six hundred capacity venue.

....Yeah, you live in England, that would be why.

When I saw them in 2010, there was probably 150-200 people at the Black Cat in DC. We'll see if there's more or less this year in two more days.

• Locked thread