Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avril Lavigne
May 29, 2006

I'm looking forward to the live album but I'm also worried that this seems like a 'last hurrah' kind of thing before a long hiatus. :ohdear: Maybe I'm just paranoid because of how Primus took a break when I was a huge fan of theirs at 14. They didn't make another album 'til I was 26 :geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Why can I not buy tickets for the Chicago show RIGHT NOW?!?!

Also anyone that goes to that show should definitely eat at LoKal beforehand because that place is amazing and close.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

M1TCH3LL posted:

It's better than we could have imagined...

This is a great idea seeing as they're one of the greatest live bands out there right now and Fire is tragically out of print.

PeppermintEgo
Feb 22, 2011

As much as I love Electric Six, live albums have always annoyed me with the audience cheering and whatnot. I'll probably skip it. Maybe listen to it once but it definitely won't be on my MP3 Player. I really hope this doesn't mean they are going to take a hiatus.

EDIT: Just found out that the live albums will be replacing this year's new album entirely. Disappointing, but what do you expect from a band that puts out an album every single year since 2003? Guess they need a break sometime or another.

PeppermintEgo fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jan 31, 2012

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

There's a difference between live album and live album. I've heard live albums like Daft Punk's "Live 2007" where the crowd doesn't messes with the music at all, sure they're cheering and all but it seems like it's been recorded in a way to not to be annoying.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Avril Lavigne posted:

I'm looking forward to the live album but I'm also worried that this seems like a 'last hurrah' kind of thing before a long hiatus. :ohdear: Maybe I'm just paranoid because of how Primus took a break when I was a huge fan of theirs at 14. They didn't make another album 'til I was 26 :geno:
The announcement on their site says that they plan to resume their steady torrent of studio albums next year. This year, though, you'll probably hear more from the side projects like Evil Cowards.

Avril Lavigne
May 29, 2006

The Kins posted:

The announcement on their site says that they plan to resume their steady torrent of studio albums next year. This year, though, you'll probably hear more from the side projects like Evil Cowards.

Ah thanks, this is very good news. I dig Evil Cowards and really some of their stuff could easily pass for Electric Six, or at least E6 demo tracks.

Syllables
Jul 2, 2011

XOF XOF XOF

:fag:
I've really got to check out these guys live. I really like their first album, I haven't check their other albums though.

gropemotron
Feb 20, 2011

Another dimension, new galaxy
I've been a fan of Electric Six since Fire, and never have had the chance to see them in concert. So I'm pretty excited about the live album, if it's good quality recording and theres not too much audience noises.

Are the later albums considered better than the earlier ones? I mostly just listen to Senior smoke and Switzerland, with a few exceptions like Gay Bar Part 2 and Watching Evil Empires. The latest one I bought was Kill, and wasn't really impressed with the album as a whole.

It is drat impressive they can release new albums every year and try so many new things with their music. I just got around to listening to Heartbeats and Brainwaves, if its any good I'll go back and listen to more of the later albums.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

gropemotron posted:

Are the later albums considered better than the earlier ones? I mostly just listen to Senior smoke and Switzerland, with a few exceptions like Gay Bar Part 2 and Watching Evil Empires. The latest one I bought was Kill, and wasn't really impressed with the album as a whole.
Kill is an album that has to grow on you, I think. I started off not being impressed with it either, but I've started liking it more lately. That said, I'd recommend getting Zodiac if you're looking to get any more recent albums; I can't think of a single song on there I don't like. Heartbeats is pretty good too, although the overall sound is less rock and more electronic than the other E6 albums.

And which albums are better than others really seems to be a matter of personal taste. I think this thread had a discussion a while back where people ranked their favorite albums, but it did seem to be all over the place.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
Just bought my ticket for the Minneapolis show. May 11th can't come soon enough.

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007

dxt posted:

Just bought my ticket for the Minneapolis show. May 11th can't come soon enough.

I will see you there! I should be with a group of about 8 others. All are converts after seeing Electric Six live once.

Prog Rug
Feb 23, 2011

The new Bite Me season dropped (Which has music by Dick Valentine) and I'm still frothing at my mouth with rage that they haven't released the songs yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q-sAS0OjKA

(click this link if you want to skip the zombie e-series you might not like and head straight for the amazing Electric Six song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q-sAS0OjKA&list=SL#t=8m50s)

edit: sorry I linked episode 2 but basically every episode will have on DV song in it's credits.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Was checking out a local place's lineup and saw E6 playing May 10(thursday) at Otto's in Dekalb. Now in here I see they're doing DoubleDoor on the 12th
Both are pretty similar for size and stage setup, the few I've seen at either venue have rocked balls, great crowd and energy etc(Steel Panther at DD and Rev Horton Heat at Ottos)
If you're outside of the Chicago area, Dekalb is about an hour west. Myself I'd be coming from Rockford(45min of easy drive vs 1.5hours into downtown? total nobrainer)

Planning on hitting this one, even though its a school night.. Anyone else, or has this one been off the radar so far?

edit: oh and the desccriptive on their site does say its 2 sets, one being Fire in its entirety. If th11th and 12th are when they're recording then this could be a hell fo a warm-up show :rock:

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 28, 2012

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

:siren::siren::siren: BOAT SHOWS FOR BOSTON AND NEW YORK CITY ANNOUNCED :siren::siren::siren:

July 19th in NYC, 20th in Boston.

Check out https://www.electricsix.com for tickets.

BobbyHeenanTinyHat
Apr 1, 2005

Calling all girls of the opposite sex
UK FANS UNITE! December 15th, Shepherd's Bush Empire, they're doing a one-off show with the two sets (best-of AND Fire in its entirety) and it will be filmed for the upcoming DVD.

Tickets on sale tomorrow.

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

You can trip on my synthesizer.
Oh hells yeah. I was afraid they weren't coming across the pond this time around.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

British have a funny accent, Valentine has awesome voice. They were basically made for each other.

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

And they'll be in Detroit this Saturday, just in time for me being home for Easter. Aww yeah.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Really bummed that I can't make it to the show up in Indy tonight. It's probably the only time they'll come to Indiana :smith:

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib

SporkTSI posted:

Really bummed that I can't make it to the show up in Indy tonight. It's probably the only time they'll come to Indiana :smith:

They play shows in Indy at least once a year.

Erdnase
Nov 9, 2009

he needs the money
I saw them live in Cardiff last year, so awesome.

Stoked for the live album, and I think I'm gonna have to take the trip to Shepherd's Bush in December...

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Apparently Dick Valentine is releasing an acoustic solo album called Destroy The Children.

Dick's Facebook posted:

"Destroy The Children" is the first solo effort from Valentine and it is performed in the solo acoustic style. Some songs are whimsical, others apocalyptic. Still others are anemic. Some are weird. One of them is even performed in Spanish. "Destroy The Children" is the ultimate indulgence of a man who hates music, but loves himself.

Physical copies of "Destroy The Children" will only be available to purchase at Valentine's acoustic shows, but the digital version will be available on Tunecore and iTunes in early May.

BobbyHeenanTinyHat
Apr 1, 2005

If you haven't added Valentine on Facebook, by the way, then you totally should. He's adding everyone and if you leave the right comment or tag him in one, he's pretty awesome in responding. Not only did he reply to mine about all of my friends going to see him live with "You have 183 friends, Jones. Get it done...." but he also decided to read and reply to a completely unrelated comment about Gary Neville as a football pundit with "Neville is a muppet. Neville is a wanker. Neville is a twat. Neville can piss off. Neville is a knob." He probably doesn't even know who Gary Neville is, but it was a super cool thing to do.

Erdnase
Nov 9, 2009

he needs the money
Just don't tag him in any pics. he knows what he looks like...

PeppermintEgo
Feb 22, 2011

M1TCH3LL posted:

If you haven't added Valentine on Facebook, by the way, then you totally should. He's adding everyone and if you leave the right comment or tag him in one, he's pretty awesome in responding. Not only did he reply to mine about all of my friends going to see him live with "You have 183 friends, Jones. Get it done...." but he also decided to read and reply to a completely unrelated comment about Gary Neville as a football pundit with "Neville is a muppet. Neville is a wanker. Neville is a twat. Neville can piss off. Neville is a knob." He probably doesn't even know who Gary Neville is, but it was a super cool thing to do.

Can you link it? Is it under Tyler Spencer or Dick Valentine? I can't seem to find it.

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib

PeppermintEgo posted:

Can you link it? Is it under Tyler Spencer or Dick Valentine? I can't seem to find it.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003527201556

PeppermintEgo
Feb 22, 2011

Thanks! Check out that default picture. Pretty awesome and very Dick Valentine-y.

BobbyHeenanTinyHat
Apr 1, 2005

Full UK tour dates have been announced - usual places, usual dates, but it will be the Fire tour so the album will be played in full at each show:

Wed 11/28 York UK
Fibbers

Thu 11/29 Glasgow UK
ABC

Fri 11/30 Belfast UK
Spring & Airbreak

Sat 12/01 Dublin IE
Academy

Mon 12/03 Liverpool UK
Academy

Tue 12/04 Birmingham UK
Academy

Thu 12/06 Manchester UK
Academy

Fri 12/07 Newcastle UK
Academy

Sat 12/08 Sheffield UK
Academy

Mon 12/10 Cardiff UK
Glee Club

Tue 12/11 Brighton UK
Concorde 2

Wed 12/12 Bournemouth UK
Old Fire Station

Thu 12/13 Bristol UK
Academy

Fri 12/14 Oxford UK
Academy

Sat 12/15 London UK
Shepherd's Bush Empire

http://www.electricsix.com/

Weirdly, the tickets are offered as general or VIP... any idea what the VIP entails?

PeppermintEgo
Feb 22, 2011

Didn't these guys claim to be done with music videos entirely at one point?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NSae0v-VHSk#t=2s

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

You can trip on my synthesizer.
Glad they turned back on that, fantastic video.

Also,

Credits posted:

Executive Producer/Fight Choreographer
Dick Valentine
is exactly the sort of thing I want to wake up to.

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
The live album recording last night in Minneapolis was absolutely amazing. Got a signed poster (12/20) and a setlist from the Fire set. There was a group of 14 of us together, but it basically turned into a huge dance circle with about half of us. I can't wait for the album to come out.

Rough version of the setlist that I could remember.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/electric-six/2012/first-avenue-minneapolis-mn-7bdfaa58.html

Harry Privates fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 12, 2012

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Sexy Trash and a loving Osmonds cover. Glorious.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Harry Privates posted:

Rough version of the setlist that I could remember.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/electric-six/2012/first-avenue-minneapolis-mn-7bdfaa58.html

Wow, incredibly similar set-list for the Chicago concert: replaced After Hours with Jam it in the Hole and Dirty Ball with Formula 409 and shuffle the order up basically. Oh also, add It Gets Hot and Watching Evil Empires Fall Apart, but yours might be missing a few.

Surprised that they had so many newer songs as opposed to stuff from Senor Smoke or Switzerland; but I guess that makes sense since they played the entire first album. Still an excellent show, can't wait to hear the album.

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Fallen Rib
The drummer told me at the show last night that they're looking to book a short US tour in the fall, but nothing's set in stone yet. Electric Six never stops.

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
They had mentioned at First Avenue they would be back in the fall. Also I really hope this live album comes out on vinyl.

PeppermintEgo
Feb 22, 2011

Dick announces he's going to be a father. Here is a nice article written about Electric six on the cover of Metro Times today (Detroit's daily newspaper)

http://metrotimes.com/music/10-x-e6-1.1341621

ellspurs
Sep 12, 2007
Kappa :o

M1TCH3LL posted:

Full UK tour dates have been announced - usual places, usual dates, but it will be the Fire tour so the album will be played in full at each show:

Tue 12/04 Birmingham UK
Academy

Sat 12/15 London UK
Shepherd's Bush Empire

http://www.electricsix.com/

Weirdly, the tickets are offered as general or VIP... any idea what the VIP entails?

From looking at the ticket information for the night at London Shepherd's Bush, the VIP entails:

* Electric Six DJ Aftershow
* signed poster
* ticket to show

and is roughly double the price of the standard entry.

I'm definitely interested in either the Birmingham date or the London date, as I've been waiting to see them again since December 2003 when I saw them at Aberystwyth Student Union. That night rocked.

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Fallen Rib
Metropolis announced a release date for the live album, which is entitled "Absolute Pleasure". It's not a double album, nor is it in the order they played the songs.

Track listing:
01. It's Showtime
02. Down At McDonnelzzz
03. Danger! High Voltage!
04. Future Is In The Future
05. Dirty Ball
06. When I Get To The Green Building
07. Gay Bar
08. Infected Girls
09. Jam It In The Hole
10. She's White
11. Body Shot
12. Dance Epidemic
13. I Buy The Drugs
14. Hello! I See You
15. Crazy Horses
16. Dance Commander
17. Synthesizer

Preorders here: http://www.metropolis-mailorder.com/product.php?prodnum=MET+817

Also, they're hitting the Midwest and East Coast in October and November. As always, if E6 are coming anywhere near you, it's more than worth your while to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
The cover is amazing, that is the load-in guy from First Avenue!

• Locked thread